+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Large families - where do you holiday?

Okay I know this may be potentially offensive, but I am going to go out on a limb and hope that some of you can relate to needing to trim costs when you are holidaying with a large family.

So how do you holiday with a large family, and ALSO have a good time?

I know you can stay in holiday units etc, but then I htought that's prob just like being at home really... mgiht be to do with the ages of my kids as well though (as there's 3 under 3).

I have thought the best solution is camping in a holiday park type thing, so very cheap but good amenities/ grounds/ entertainment (toddler park, internet, etc)

Does anyone have other ideas?

I'd really like to go camping with friends as well, but I know my small people can be a bit overwhelming for other (or I feel like that.. )

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol

where do we go??? the back yard lol Have really been on a holiday as its too expensive, to many ppl are out at school holidays etc

But camping would be the best we are goin to go the wkend after the school hols want to be able to yell at the kids without 200 ppl looking at me like im a bad mother.

I know what you mean (kinda) about overwhelming friends with all your kids, the look on some ppls face when you turn up with all of them lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to himherandhe For This Useful Post:

Mrs Nietzsche  (18-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We love cabins at caravan parks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    (Responds to Mrs N's thread as requested)

To be honest, I found camping to be just as expensive with my lot, as staying somewhere "hotel" like.

When we go away, we stay at Paradise Resort Gold Coast.

They cater for large families (up to 2 adults and 6 kids in a resort interconnect room), which in off season, is VERY affordable (IMO) however in peak season, not so affordable.

The rooms aren't much, which is why I would never pay peak season rates for them. The kids club is amazing and is included in your room price and the kids eat for $5, breakfast lunch and dinner.

They have kids resort activites all year round, not just during holidays too.

I love the place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ah yes. I've been looking at Paradise Resort. Should have gone down before the weather cooled.

I really want to go camping in the next few weeks... (need a new car first!) ..

It's the only way of holidaying I can think of that can be basically free (or $100).

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We've recently come back from a weekend at Treasure Island Holiday resort at the Gold Coast.

Had an excellent time. self contained cabins, very nicely maintained. Kids club, mini golf, all the gold coast beaches, a literal walk from Harbour Town shopping district

I think it was about 200 a night for all 7 of us.

(Kids 3yrs and under you don't have to pay for either!)

I love camping, but with lots of little kids having a bedroom, access to TV, their own shower and bathroom, a front door I can lock, and kitchen amenities.. staying in a self-contained cabin is the best answer at this time.

Here's a link to where we stayed LINK

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

DQ  (18-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Don't know where you are Mrs N, but I took my lot camping in Yamba (Northern NSW) over the Australia Day holidays. I was great, but the park (Blue Dolphin) was very expensive. It cost us almost $400 for 3 days (ensuite site) which is quite a lot in the grand scheme of things for camping.

The kids rode scooters, swam etc, but were ultimately bored for most of the time.

There is a fantastic holiday park in Cairns which has a great looking water park and jumping pillow etc. Would love to check that out

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (19-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My parents used to take us to a caravan park (my grandparents owned a caravan) and 2 of us slept in a tent.
    IT was great fun there used to be heaps of activities to do and always alot of kids.

BUT we recently went down there and its just crap now. Hardly any kids go, its just drunk people living in caravans my grandparents have now taken their caravan out of the park.

Those big 10 holiday parks resemble what it used to be like, you can hire cabins there and they have activities etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that was the one I was looking at recently OJ. You bring up some good points re cabins v tents. But I'm trying to be super super suepr budget! Maybe too much so.. I don't think ds can open a zip but not sure that's an experiment I want to conduct at 3am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
    I was great, but the park (Blue Dolphin) was very expensive. It cost us almost $400 for 3 days (ensuite site) which is quite a lot in the grand scheme of things for camping.

The kids rode scooters, swam etc, but were ultimately bored for most of the time.

There is a fantastic holiday park in Cairns which has a great looking water park and jumping pillow etc. Would love to check that out

Ive only ever heard bad things about Blue Dolphin. Yamba is a lovely place. We hired out a house down there and only paid i think $300 for 2 nights. It was a 4 bedroom place. Right near the beach