+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2made3 View Post
    Thanks girls, it's all such a help to me. I am feeling a little anxious about the whole gluten free process, esp when DS only eats "yellow" foods and usually soft ones.

Please, keep them coming!!!
    Ds is the same (yellow/white) but its actually surprising the amount of foods we've been able to extend this too....

Crackers, eggs, milk/smoothies, yoghurt, apple, pear, banana, dried apple, almonds, brazil nuts, muffins, breads, juice, cheese, potatoe, chicken etc....

Now we've been slowly slowly (painful process) extending these even further to slightly different colours... on bad days its still a huge struggle to get him to eat at all but on good days he does really well...

We recently bought a book which seems quite interesting "Just take a bite, easy, effective answers to food aversions and eating challenges"... Still reading it atm but it seems good and hopefully it'll help...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds great Aussiemummy, I am hoping to do the same - slowly extend DS's variety. But like you said, it's very painful! But I would rather put up the fight now than in say 3 years time, as a 6 year old would be much harder to deal with!

Tomorrow I am aiming for a totally gluten free day! Will be our first...

Here's hoping

Thanks
    Reviews
    we've done 2 gluten free days so far and boy... it has been HARD work - for both of us. I hope it pays off in the end?

Anyone have anymore wonderful gluten free meal & snack ideas????? Please????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2made3 View Post
    we've done 2 gluten free days so far and boy... it has been HARD work - for both of us. I hope it pays off in the end?

Anyone have anymore wonderful gluten free meal & snack ideas????? Please????
    It gets much easier the longer your on gluten free...

How about pizzas?? Coles and woolies sell a thin pizza bases in the bread isle section... we top them with so many different toppings to give them variety .

Do you have any gluten free recipie books?? Womens weekly do a great food allergy kids cooking book which has simple recipies for breakfast, lunch, dinner, sweets, party food etc...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussiemummy For This Useful Post:

2made3  (19-04-2011)

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I fingluten free fairly easy (NOW- we have been doing it for a few years!) but Ds is soy and dairy free as well and it's the soy I find it hardest to accommodate. Soy sauces etc (which usually give flavour!) are all out.

There is a book called "Friendly Food" which is really, really good- most recipes are adaptable to bb free of gluten and soy.

We do a similar lentil shepards pie recipe which is great and while we are vegetarian I do cook some organic chicken for two of the kids and I ahve a good crunchy coated chicken resipe- it's in that book!! I'll find it.

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wanted to add we have found stock a life saver- we get the preservative free all natural salt reduced chicken or vegie stock and i't gives so much flavour to noodles, rice etc- my kids love rice boiled in stock. It's YUMMY!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFourCubs For This Useful Post:

2made3  (19-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies!!!

Aussiemummy - I will definately try the pizza bases, that sounds like a neat idea. Will look into the Womens Weekly book too, my DH & I often buy their food magazines

MyFourCubs - Think I may try that stock one tonight! With rice first & see how we go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else???

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you type "gluten free" into taste.com theres quite a few pages of yummy recipies too .

Health food isle also stock gluten free nacho/corn chips... There lovely topped with savoury mince and some melted cheese!!

you can buy gluten free puff pastry too... I can't stand the one in coles/woolies but theres one by "gluten free bakery" which doesn't work out too bad which means you can make your own pasties, pies, sausage rolls etc...

Where abouts do you live? Most major cities also have gluten free expos, GREAT to find, try, buy, taste new products and most of these places really encourage the envolvement of children knowing how had it is to find yummy things for them to eat...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussiemummy For This Useful Post:

2made3  (20-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Melbourne so there should be something of that sort around you'd think!

I have also been looking through my old recipes and seeing what I can substitute for GF. I was actually surprised at how many I could!

Thanks again