+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I'm in Tassie atm and the ambulance is free but I'm moving to N.S.W where you have to pay for ambulance. With the ambulance how do you get charged? for example if they have to treat you on the spot is it more then just taking you to the hospital?
    Not sure of the finer detail but there is a per km charge. Where we live, this can amount to a fair bit and if you travel in Australia, there's a fair chance that something could happen to you some distance from a hospital.

Saying that, my B was accidentally born at home and we called the ambulance. We lived only a couple of blocks away from the hospital but were charged something like $100 each (bubs and me) so thank goodness we had cover! That was when we were much younger and mostly broke, but footy injuries out here (2 children now play) can cost $1000+ in ambulance costs for travel. It's only about $60 - $80 per year, I think, but it's part of our extras.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In qld we were driven 4 minutes to the hospital and charged $800
    at that time I was on a pension so I called them and did not have to pay. Now in qld ambulance cover is on everyone's electricity bill. You are still exempt from paying the fee if you have a concession though. And I was sent an invoice not charged on the day.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Totally Agree!!

I was covered with top hospital cover since 2001, hardly making a claim. I then had a major cut on my upper leg that required surgery. I thought how lucky I was that finally I would be able to use the cover in a private hospital and have my injury fixed as soon as possible.

After calling all over Australia, the quickest appointment I could book was in 3 months time. I ended up booking into the local hospital and had the surgery done and dusted within a week.

I cancelled my private hospital cover the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hospital cover can get you out of a pickle in a hurry! I recently had a health issue and needed to see a surgeon. It was semi- urgent but considered elective. In the public system I would have had to wait months to be seen. Private I saw my surgeon the next day and was booked for surgery 4 days later. Lucky too, as I was starting to get quite sick and waiting longer could have been nasty.none night in hospital with surgery was over $3000, and my gap was only $250. Well worth it!

I use my extras a lot, but we are still in the discussion as to whether it is worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by scarlett41 View Post
    For me extras is more important. I use physio, chiro, psyc, dentist, naturopathy, optical so my "savings" are huge!!!

I have basic hospital cover but my reasons for not having top hospital are this:

My mum and dad have TOP TOP hospital cover and always have. A few years ago my brother (12 at the time) was rushed to a public hospital with suspected appendicitis. The treatment he received was outstanding and although mum and dad would have preferred him to be in the local private hospital they were so very happy. In the end there was no appendicitis just a stomach infection. Absolutely no cost for 1 week stay in hospital.

Fast forward 6 months and mum had suspected appendicitis. Having the best cover there was, dad rushed her to the closest private emergency ward. An overnight stay and no appendictis and they were charged $800 out of pocket for the night on a gurney, ultrasound and a urine test! The cover they had amounted to absolutely nothing!!

I just cannot justify the money if my out of pocket expenses are ridiculous in emergencies. I have the basic cover which I know covers all "elective" procedures I may need (I have a few ailments which will need attention) but for emergencies I think private just isn't worth it!!
    Okay...I see where you are coming from and you are right, if you need emergency care (for something like appendicitis) you would go public even if you had private health as private hospitals don't normally have emergency departments.

However, if you need a knee reconstruction or any kind of 'non-urgent' surgery you are WAY better off having private health. The waiting lists are long for things like that and you cannot choose your surgeon. You will only have to wait a few weeks compared to years in the public system. My family has unfortunately had a lot of surgery in the last few years and we have been so grateful for private cover as we would still be waiting (with pain) for the public system to even look at us.
    Even still my hubby had an 'emergency' gastro issue a couple of years ago and we took him to our private hospital and he had amazing care. So I guess it does depend on which hospital you go to and their resources at the time. Same can be said for public.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because I have a number of health problems we have top hospital cover and it has been very useful for the major things.

I spent months in hospitals last year (two private) and only paid $250 excess for the entire year. I was first admitted to a public hospital and it was found out that I needed surgery. I was immediately put on the 'emergency list' at the public hospital but after 9 weeks STILL hadn't had the surgery, and it was cancelled so many times. Transferred to a private hospital, very quickly had the surgery (which was good as things were more serious than expected).. Didn't pay anything except excess for 7 days on a surgical ward. I would probably still be waiting in the public system!

We have extras too, which is useful for dental work and glasses etc. I do find it very useful, but we could do without I suppose. We keep the extras because, like a pp poster said we would rather pay the money now and be covered, than not pay and then get a huge bill unexpectedly