+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is "extras" worth it or just go for hospital cover.

If I get cover with extras it's an extra $70 a month.

Or I can get top hospital cover for $177 for the whole family.

Do you think extras are worth it? I looked at what you get back and it's such small amounts like $35 for consultation or $50 for filling so not really all that much when you think about how much dentists charge.

What do you guys think? Worth it for you? Have you used it much?

I'm looking at HCF.

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Worth it for us. I've never had to pay for any dental work as my private health has always covered it. Same with optical, and both DH and I wear glasses.

These are the kind of expenses that you can't predict and always come at the worst time, so it's easier for us to budget to pay for private health and know we'll be covered, rather than "try" to save and "hope" we can afford it when things happen.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewid For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (13-04-2011),rusty22  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    i find hospital cover more important, but extras as something used more often.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (13-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Where I live, you get treated like a private patient at the public hospital, so our $2.5K per year on hospital and extras is really only useful for the extras!

We use extras for dental and glasses mostly, but it is more used than the the other as we don't get sick. Our elder girls are just about to get braces ($6000 each x 2!) and we get about $1500 back per child so somethings better than nothing.

We're with Teachers' Health which is very good.

BTW, regardless of which way you go, make sure you have ambulance cover! Vital!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have extras but no hospital - I guess it depends on your needs

we have 4 in our family - all MUST see the dentist every 6 months, 3 of the 4 wear glasses, DH is a tradie and is starting to get aches and pains and would like to go to physio. So for us it is worth it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    I think it depends on your lifestyle, and the risk factors in your family.

Our extras cover pays for itself a million times over because both my husband and I see an osteopath (we're old and get dodgy backs!), he wears glasses, we all go to the dentist, and the psych cover helped pay for my daughter's giftedness testing.

I am actually wondering whether hospital cover is worth it ... in an accident, you'd end up in a public hospital anyway, and I'm not sure there would be a great deal of benefit to private cover in that respect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jaq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    The best way I can describe hospital and extras is like scratchies and lotto.

One is less expensive, you get a return more often but the return is small.
    The other costs more, you tend not to see a lot for it, but when you do see the return it's huge.

In other words you can traditionally save for lots of the small things (although for those who use ancillary services often it's FAN-BLOOMING-TASTIC) that extras cover you for. An odd $100 or even $1000 bill can be found.

But if you find yourself in a situation where you are unhappy with your public hospital options it's very very expensive to self insure. (something like 50k average admission for cardiac from memory- really need to try and find those reports again though, so could be off on the figure)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we have mbf gold extras. Well worth it. Unlimited general dental and 75% back.. Which so far has meant saving me 1600 on dental work and cost me less than 500 out of pocket. No need for hospital as we would use the public system. I was on a lower extras cover which gave 80% back, but it was limited to $300 a year on dental. Which is 2 fillings.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to earlgrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    Where I live, you get treated like a private patient at the public hospital, so our $2.5K per year on hospital and extras is really only useful for the extras!

We use extras for dental and glasses mostly, but it is more used than the the other as we don't get sick. Our elder girls are just about to get braces ($6000 each x 2!) and we get about $1500 back per child so somethings better than nothing.

We're with Teachers' Health which is very good.

BTW, regardless of which way you go, make sure you have ambulance cover! Vital!
    I'm in Tassie atm and the ambulance is free but I'm moving to N.S.W where you have to pay for ambulance. With the ambulance how do you get charged? for example if they have to treat you on the spot is it more then just taking you to the hospital?

In Tassie the public hospital is awesome if I wasn't moving I wouldn't get the PHI, I got treated like gold in the hospital every time I was there. When I had bubs I got a huge private room, great care, physio, lactation, everything free!
    When bubs fell at 3 weeks I ran into the public hospital and was seen by a nurse in 30 seconds then by a doctor a few minutes later and we got a place and bed straight away! AWESOME! Only if all public hospitals where like that.
    I want to avoid public hospitals in Syd they seriously have 3rd world conditions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me extras is more important. I use physio, chiro, psyc, dentist, naturopathy, optical so my "savings" are huge!!!

I have basic hospital cover but my reasons for not having top hospital are this:

My mum and dad have TOP TOP hospital cover and always have. A few years ago my brother (12 at the time) was rushed to a public hospital with suspected appendicitis. The treatment he received was outstanding and although mum and dad would have preferred him to be in the local private hospital they were so very happy. In the end there was no appendicitis just a stomach infection. Absolutely no cost for 1 week stay in hospital.

Fast forward 6 months and mum had suspected appendicitis. Having the best cover there was, dad rushed her to the closest private emergency ward. An overnight stay and no appendictis and they were charged $800 out of pocket for the night on a gurney, ultrasound and a urine test! The cover they had amounted to absolutely nothing!!

I just cannot justify the money if my out of pocket expenses are ridiculous in emergencies. I have the basic cover which I know covers all "elective" procedures I may need (I have a few ailments which will need attention) but for emergencies I think private just isn't worth it!!