+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Reflexology with someone who knows what they are doing. A foot massage will NOT cut it. If it's not hurting, it's not working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was overdue so went for a 10km walk (i walked 5 everyday of my pregnancy) i got home and 2 hrs later i started!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Got busy the night before #1 (born 5 days early) and used evening primrose oil internally and had really spicy spaghetti for #2 (born 5 days early) both were born the day after "natural inducement". I am very impatient and the end of the pregnancy is torture for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS turned up after DTD prob 48 hrs previously, walking around all morning xmas shopping, drinking raspberry leaf tea that day and having a curry for dinner. I was terrified of getting induced but that was a few days away yet. Don't know if any of these things helped bring on labour but it could all be coincidental? I'm expecting #2 shortly and if threatened with induction I guess I might try those things again just in case ...... Have you tried anything yourself yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well yes, not what you want to hear, sorry can't be helped:

But nothing works unless the baby is ready. The most aggressive form of medical induction will not work if your body and baby are not ready - all that will do is start the cascade of intervention.

http://m.smh.com.au/national/health/...125-1nz9r.html

However if your body and the baby are ready, or pretty close to it, then sometimes various methods might just tip you over the threshold. That's how come we have all these anectodal stories.

So the fullness of time is your best bet.

Make sure your dates are by The Woods Method, not the Naegels method - or they may be up to two weeks out. (Not many women actually have 19 and a half day text book cycles, being people not machines.)

I do think there are things we can do though to really optimise your wellbeing and the baby's well-being in late third trimester that will really help get those hormones flowing, help the baby be in a nice position (that would be, what is the right position for him or her) and help the mother be in a great head space. And these kinds of things I think actually do help eliminate any unnecessary delays to the start of labour.

Stay physically and sexually active. Minimum 30 minutes walking a day - and plan to keep walking walking walking through labour. (Unless it's night - then rest when you can!)
    Sex, massage, cuddling, orgasm etc all help release those lovely hormones - sex hormones and birth hormones are one and the same
    Connect with nature. Swim in the sea, walks in the wind etc.
    What Birth As We Know It calls spiralling - circling your hips, standing or on hands and knees. Lovely open pelvis moves. Dancing. Belly dancing. In water or on land. Making space for the baby. You wriggle your hips and baby wriggles too, it helps bub settle down nice and low with good application onto the cervix.
    Chuck out sugar. Drink plenty. Eat healthy.
    See an osteo or chiro, especially if they are on to The Webster Technique. If you have un unstable pelvis or SPD, even better. TWT can release tension that might possibly be hindering bub from moving into a better position.
    Check out Optimal Foetal Positioning - some babies just *are* posterior and that is what works for them, but none of us are really going to benefit from a car-couch-computer lifestyle and some hip circles on hands and knees might be worth getting into.
    Relaxation, visualisation, prayer, art, journalling, craft ... get out of your logic busy brain and into your deep, symbolic, artistic, intuitive brain. This helps the hormones and the hormones help you go deeper yet - vital for labour. Use your breath to help you consciously relax. The breath is the *bridge) between body and mind. Your hormones are released from the Pituitary gland that is located in the Hypothalamus - the deep brain - the place where deepest emotion, memory, instinct etc comes from.
    Write down any fears and address them honestly. Don't let them lurk. Bring them out into the light of day. If you need better information to zap those fears, seek it. (this is not airy-fairy hippie nonsense, this is all about nothing but the science of hormones. The link between emotions and hormones is strong.)
    Talk to your baby.
    Spend time alone.
    Get into your body.
    Have a professional massage - even better if it's from a birth workers who understands about bodywork, pressure points, acupressure points etc. We often work a lot around the sacrum to encourage those lovely birth hormones.
    All that you do to relax and get those hormones rising to peak levels is going to do work to soften and prepare you, and soften and ripen the cervix. So I'm not just fobbing you off here!
    Think about some perineal massage if you haven't yet done it. Just another way of getting in touch with your birthing body.
    Have your doula do some rebozo on you. Great for releasing stress and getting those lovely hormones going.
    If you have a doula or midwife who knows about pelvic mapping, going through those basic landmarks with you can be another way of getting in touch with your body and building your confidence.
    You can take the 'Birth Vibes' herbal tea also, if you are into herbal tea.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fai firinne For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (21-02-2012),ComeBackKid  (22-02-2012),headoverfeet  (14-08-2012),MilkingMaid  (21-02-2012),oops  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The above post has some awesome ideas. Got my contractions going with lots of deep squats to put bub's head in contact with cervix, and lots of nipple stim, which has the added benefit of getting the colostrum flowing. Unfortunately I was induced before bub could make the big break on his own, but it was starting to happen. Was getting heaps of light contractions before the medically-necessary early induction for Placental Abruption at 34weeks.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 15-08-2012 at 00:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2tbspoon castor oil in half glass of orange juice at 8pm. Contractions started at midnight (didn't realise, was up on Facebook.. Had severe insomnia) was holding my little princess 7 hours later. Am going to try the same for bub#2

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Natural Methods of Labour Induction (That Actually Worked)

Play wii fit! DD came within hours

Me & DH +
    DS 2
    DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Above post LOL! Funny! If only I had known...(and was allowed to do any, let alone strenuous, exercise)! I really get into my wii-fit!

My Nana used to swear by the Castor Oil. She took it before all 3 bubs and swore she nearly spat them across the room they came so quickly!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Natural Methods of Labour Induction (That Actually Worked)

Castor oil worked for me i was 4 days overdue
    I had 20mil in a banana smoothie, 30 mil 2 hours later in orange juice then another two hours later had 2mil straight (not very nice, but hey it worked haha) from the time i started it took about 7 hours to actually do anything but once it did i went into labour and 10 hours later i had my beautiful girl with no pain relief :-)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub