+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Post Can we start a new Special Needs Chat???

Hi Guys,

I use this site a fair bit. I find its the most relevant site for me because its Australian. When I talk to other mums worldwide I find they don't have the same medical care as we do and alot of our conversation is spent explaining how our system works
    I seem to be getting more bad news every day and I know from reading the posts on here that I'm not the only one.

I was reading thru the previous chat and saw alot of u guys r still on here!

Why don't we start a new chat and get the mods to sticky it so we can keep up with what each other is doing?

I already know a few of you and it would be great to know how everythings going on a regular basis and to meet everyone else.

What do you all think?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd be interested in a chat thread, although I don't really know many people on here anymore (or they have changed their names and I haven't caught on).
    I shall try to check back in often, but sometimes I can't manage more than once a week...

Anyways, I am Tegan. DS is 4 and has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS (although he's technically not) and epilepsy, but that has been controlled for over two years now...

His biggest things are delays in fine motor and coordination, zero speech, and lack of toilet training...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 kids. DD is 17 months and DS is 5 weeks. They both have moderate to moderatly severe bilateral hearing loss. They both wear hearing aids. DD also has fluid in her ears making her lose another 10-20 decibels of hearing. Waiting to see the ENT

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

I would love to join your chat thread if that's ok? My DS2 (3 yrs) has PDD-NOS & motor dyspraxia. DS1 (5 yrs) has only recently been diagnosed with global language delay I also have a DD who is nearly 14 months & every day I ask her to "just please be normal" Terrible I know. I love my kids but I find it all a big challenge so would love to chat to other mums as I don't get much emotional or physical support from family or friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! Our son doesn't have the most serious of special needs but i feel most at home here:-) DS 3.5 years dx'd oral and verbal dyspraxia at 15 months, see's public speech once per fortnight. He's always had some strange behaviours , anxiety and sensory issues and has finally been refered to paediatrician for an overall developmental assessment, aspergers has always been what i suspected but i'm not expecting a diagnosis at his age... So for now we'll just keep trying to help his dyspraxia and continue to try and help him learn how to play with other kids (he has no clue, wants to but just doesn't know how, its very sad to watch )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    Good idea. I'm floating around quite a bit these days this forum has helped me alot as I don't have many friends who understand our situation.
    My DS is nearly 18 months- has global developmental delay unknown cause at this stage although his brain MRI is abnormal (white matter loss and underdeveloped corpus callosum), moderate hearing loss, epilepsy, reflux and ex tube fed and ex 32weeker. Currently on meds for the epilepsy epilium and keppra and has been stable last few months. We are trying a new therapy for DS called Feldenkrais (well known in US as Anat baniel method) a type of neurodevelopmental therapy to aid development and so far he is a bit calmer and just started being able to sit on his own.
    we are also looking at a diagnosis of SPD he has severe oral aversion/defensiveness and we are seeing an OT for this. Our physio is on mat leave. Look forward to meeting some other mums/dads on here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again all,
    How have your weekends been?
    DS and I have done a few fun things, went and watched a friend play hockey and then went out to dinner yesterday, and then had a birthday party and the beach this morning.
    He has been a bit unsettled and whingy, but I am hoping it's just tiredness and not him coming down sick again...
    I am feeling exceptionally guilty for neglecting to do anything uni related all weekend, but am happy to have focused on DS because I don't do that nearly enough at the moment.

Anything exciting happening in the week ahead?

I am back to uni classes after study week, and DS has two weeks off preschool and Early Intervention because of school holidays so he is going to get to spend a lot of time playing with his cousins which should be fun for him.

I'll be back tonight to chat more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi i'll join, im mischa and my son Xand is dx with ASD and expressive language disorder he is my first born and its always been this way so in some ways this is just normal for us, still quite challenging but ive had a long time to just accept this is the way it is.

we've had a good weekend here! Xand has been able to spend time with MIL today which he loves.

currently for holidays we have no therapies and i must say its so much more relaxed in the house...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I hope you dont mind me joining in... My eldest DS is 5 and his just been diagnosed with Asperger's.

We have always thought something was wrong... but didnt really know till he started prep this year, they asked us to get him tested.

My DD 3yrs and DS1 so far isnt showing any of the signs that my eldest has...

This weekend has been so tiring... DS (5) was up at 3:30am and im exhausted. but has been ok... we were all working in the garden and then looked at houses...

Thanks,
    Silla

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by supa_star323 View Post
    Hi again all,
    How have your weekends been?
    DS and I have done a few fun things, went and watched a friend play hockey and then went out to dinner yesterday, and then had a birthday party and the beach this morning.
    He has been a bit unsettled and whingy, but I am hoping it's just tiredness and not him coming down sick again...
    I am feeling exceptionally guilty for neglecting to do anything uni related all weekend, but am happy to have focused on DS because I don't do that nearly enough at the moment.

Anything exciting happening in the week ahead?

I am back to uni classes after study week, and DS has two weeks off preschool and Early Intervention because of school holidays so he is going to get to spend a lot of time playing with his cousins which should be fun for him.

I'll be back tonight to chat more

We are also on holidays from Early Intervention for DD. When we go back after the break DS will start.

We have a busy 2 weeks though. Both Kids have a paed appointment and DS has an appointment at the Deafness Centre at Westmead childrens. The week after they both have a hearing appointment and DS gets his first set of hearing aids. Im tired just typing it out lol

Lovely to hear everyones stories