+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pavlik Harness?

My 11 week old DD is in her 2nd week of wearing the pavlik harness for hip dysplasis (we see the ortho again in 3.5 weeks) and I have taken it off twice to bathe her as she's getting quite stinky and sore in the creases of her skin. We were told it was fine to do this if it was required, and they marked the harness for us so we knew where to bring the straps back to when we put it back on.
    I have noticed though that she seems to have much more movement, even though we put the harness back on to exactly the points measured. Her hips stay in the same position with her legs at 90 degrees but she can quite easily "kick" her leg from the knee. It seems to only happen on one side though and on THAT side, the buckle at the back keeps slipping as though it is stretching. Is this because the harness is getting looser? Like.. the fabric losing a bit of its tension, or is because she's growing and we need to loosen it? Or is it just that she's worked out that's how she can move? She loves kicking her legs so is obviously quite restricted.

What did you/do you do? We weren't told to adjust it but obviously she is growing very quickly, so how do you know when/how to adjust it? Is now the time? She's not in pain or being marked very badly by it at the moment but it's definitely not holding her in place like it did when we first had it put on.

TIA if anybody can help. Sorry this is a bit all over the place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Mrs Molly Coddle,

We have just been given the all clear of Hip Dysplasia after a full year of treatment. Though, we never had the Pavlik as DD2 was too old.

However, a friends baby also had hip dysplasia and was in the Pavlik and her Paed Ortho told her she was not allowed to take it off. I know different Dr's might have different ideas, but I would call the clinic (if through Children's Hospital) or your Dr direct and have him check it out. My DD2 was operated on, in the cast and then the brace and our Paed Ortho stressed the importance of doing exactly as we are told as it can affect the outcome.

I know you were told you could, but it would be a crying shame to go any longer, if the harness isn't sitting right and this then extending your treatment time.

Hope everything goes well for you and your bub and it is just a case of her learning she can move her legs.

Sorry not much help, but if in doubt the safest thing to do is go back to your Dr and have it checked.

Goodluck!

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for such a prompt reply jacksnjeff! I'm very pleased to hear your DD2 is now in the clear. You must be so relieved!!
    We went through the clinic at the Children's hospital so we don't have a specific doctor but I have the orthotist's card so I think I will call tomorrow and see if she can help me over the phone.
    I am a bit annoyed with myself for not asking more questions about how it worked because obviously over 5 weeks, a 10 week old baby is going to grow quite a bit! I was a bit overwhelmed by it all though.
    Thanks again for your reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries at all.

I couldn't think of the name, but the Orthotist is who we were told to call with any concerns about the brace. Great idea!

Don't be too hard on yourself. It is such a shock when you find out that something isn't right with your bubs that all logic goes out the window. Well I know this happened with me. At the time everything they told me seemed to cover all bases, then you get home and start living it and things pop up that either weren't covered or didn't know to ask at the time.

Hope your treatment goes really quickly and everything works out fine.
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem with the buckle seems to be just that she is growing so we've loosened it a little for now so that it sits properly but I will call in the morning anyway. I feel so inept to deal with this. Even DH who is an OT doesn't really know what to do.
    Thanks for your well wishes. It seems like a silly thing to be upset about in the grand scheme of things but I can't seem to help it tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain! We're in week 7 of the harness, it was probably able to come off on Wednesday but the person doing the ultrasound didn't do it properly, so have another appointment next week! Anyway, we aren't able to remove the harness at all either. Bubs and I trek up to the hospital once a week, where a physio removes the harness, I give her a bath, then a new harness is fitted by the physio. They grow SO fast at that age, I can't imagine the same settings will work for 5 weeks? Definately call and check. I'm so paranoid about the whole thing, I even went to double check if it was okay for her to have it off between the ultrasound and ortho appointments, only an hour but I wasn't taking any chances! There's no way we want to prolong this. Funny, I think it bothers me a lot more than it bothers her, she doesn't fuss except when they go to put the feet part back on after her bath. Good luck and fingers crossed for you! It's a pain in the you know what, but it's tonnes better than the brace or surgery then plaster (my sister's kids went through all that, not fun at all!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thanks for your reply rainbow! I'm glad your DD is able to have hers properly re-fit every week. I'm quite upset now to think that they didn't really tell us what to do with it and all of the "user guides" I can find online (pdfs and similar) say they parents should be told how to adjust it for growth, or they should be seen once a week and adjusted by a professional. We were just told to have an ultrasound in 4 weeks and come back to the clinic in 5.
    I'm of course not glad that your DD has the same problem but it's good to know that I am not alone, especially in feeling so paranoid about it all. It's unknown territory for me.
    I really feel for your sister. We were so scared that she would need plaster or a spica, and even though the harness sucks (quite frankly), it could have been a lot worse.
    Thanks again Fingers crossed it's nearly over for you and your DD> And you're right - it certainly seems to bother us more than it bothers them!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hi

Our little man was in one also. We had to see a physio once a fortnight for a adjustments and the rest of the time he had to stay in the harness.(we also saw an osteopath but that was our own personal choice. I do think it helped) I'm surprised that you were basically left to your own devices, you poor thing, as if having a new baby wasn't stressful enough.

It does work though. Our boy is three now with no ongoing trouble or problems (we were advised to not let him "W" sit as he grows though as it can put strain on the muscles and hip)

We used to wipe him down everyday with a damp washer, playing particular attention to the creases and folds of his skin to remove muck. We would dry each spot as we washed it as our doctor told us that dampness and irritation can lead to breaks in the skin and sores. We also massaged in sobolene cream.

When your little one comes out you might also want to ask about gentle masages and exercises to help strech out the legs, after being in one position for so long it can be uncomfotable for them. Our osteopath gave us some to do each time we changed his nappy after the harness came off and the only took a couple of minutes or so.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by solarcat View Post
    Our little man was in one also. We had to see a physio once a fortnight for a adjustments and the rest of the time he had to stay in the harness.(we also saw an osteopath but that was our own personal choice. I do think it helped) I'm surprised that you were basically left to your own devices, you poor thing, as if having a new baby wasn't stressful enough.

It does work though. Our boy is three now with no ongoing trouble or problems (we were advised to not let him "W" sit as he grows though as it can put strain on the muscles and hip)

We used to wipe him down everyday with a damp washer, playing particular attention to the creases and folds of his skin to remove muck. We would dry each spot as we washed it as our doctor told us that dampness and irritation can lead to breaks in the skin and sores. We also massaged in sobolene cream.

When your little one comes out you might also want to ask about gentle masages and exercises to help strech out the legs, after being in one position for so long it can be uncomfotable for them. Our osteopath gave us some to do each time we changed his nappy after the harness came off and the only took a couple of minutes or so.

Good Luck
    What wonderful advice! Thank you solarcat. We are trying to keep her as cool as possible (without her getting uncomfortable) so she doesn't get too sweaty.
    So glad to hear you had such a positive outcome, also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi another one here with a DD who wore the harness for 16 weeks. I found the same thing, that it didn't look the same when we had to take it off to clean it but was reassured it's just the material 'giving' and that it is probably just sitting very slightly differently so the tension changes.
    I was also told as long as you put it back on with the bits broadly in the right places you can't hurt them or do any damage or cause delay in treatment. Hope those ramblings help!