+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default High HCG Low Progesterone in early pregnancy

Help!!

I am 6.5wks preg on 3 x 400mg progesterone pessaries per day.

HCG levels excellent, Progesterone not so good.

4wks HCG 634 P 53
    5wks HCG 8000 P 74
    6wks HCG 43000 P 53

Bleeding during 2ww before BFP, brown pessary discharge on and off since.....clinic are not concerned about low progesterone or discharge (they think it might be some of my lining shedding old blood....but I am!!

Can anyone offer any words of encouragement or share with me stories of hope???

Sarah x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to post and let you know about my experience to give you some hope. Your levels don't sound too bad, I was told by my clinic that if your prog level is over 30 although it is not ideal it is still enough to sustain a pregnancy. My levels were as follows:

4 weeks: HCG 86, Prog 15
    5 weeks: HCG 726, Prog 72
    5 weeks + 3 days: HCG 2350, Prog 46
    6 weeks: HCG 7500, Prog 83
    6 weeks + 4 days: HCG 13455, Prog 144

I was on pessaries 2 x 200mg twice per day.

I have had bleeding since 4 1/2 weeks, it started as brown spotting but increased and I have had 3 big bleeds the first at 5 weeks, then 6.5 weeks and 8 weeks which was bright red blood like a heavy period as well as passing golf ball size clots (sorry TMI!). In between the big bleeds it was like a light period but since 8 weeks I have just had brown spotting with usually 1 light bleed at some stage in the day which is not much and dark brown or dark red.

I am now 11.5 weeks and miraculously bub is still going strong. I have been on bed rest since 5 weeks and will be until the spotting goes away completely. I've thought I'd lost this baby 3 times but despite the odds we are still pregnant!
    I hope everything settles down for you and that you can start to enjoy that you are pregnant, however I can totally relate to the worry. Hopefully my story will show you that in adverse circumstances there is still hope!

All the very best!

Me 33 DH 39 DS 6
    IUI x 2 BFN
    IVF # 1 BFN
    IVF # 2 BFN
    FET #1 BFN, FET# 2 BFN
    ICSI # 3 BFP!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!

I knew I couldn't be the only one out there! Although your situation sounds quite scary.....good luck for the rest of your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Ladies,

I just found this old thread when trying to find out some more information. This is exactly what I'm going through. Wouyld love to hear what happened with your pregnancies.

I have just done my first IVF cycle and got a BFP on HPT as early as 6dp5dt. The line got darker everyday and we were cautiously excited. BT was scheduled for this coming Monday (tomorrow). But on Thurs last week, started to get dark brown spotting & it increased. On Fri morning (9dp5dt or 14dpo) I rang the clinic and requested an early BT. She tried to fob me off but let me have it. When I asked if I should use an additional progesterone pessary (was on 1 x 200mg pessary twice per day) the FN told me not to. I did it anyway.

On Fri afternoon, after the BT was taken it turned to red blood & cramping started & it basically turned into a period by that evening. The clinic rang yesterday with the BT results. hCG was 182, which is apparently quite good for 14dpo. But progesterone only 22. (however, the BT was taken before I really started to bleed, so who knows?) FN then told me the FS wants me to increase the pessaries to 3 times a day. Ummm, yeah no joke - lucky I already did that, even though the other nurse told me not to! In fact, yesterday and today I'm using 4 pessaries. 2nd BT tomorrow. I'm supposed to be on bed or couch rest all weekend. Still bleeding & cramping. But that line on HPTs still gets darker every day. So confused and worried. I want to believe there is hope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Peoniesarepretty - your progesterone sounds pretty low, hopefully the pessaries will bring it up. I think you're doing the right thing taking 4 per day. I continued to bleed up until 11weeks, most days it was light but others were quite heavy, and bright red! I took pessaries until 13 weeks (3 per day). I now have a beautiful 5 month old girl. So don't give up just yet! I also have a friend who bled her entire pregnancy, enough to have to wear a pad everyday! Her little girl just turned 2! Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sarah - thanks so much for replying! I had a 2nd BT this morning and they told me to go back home & stay resting.
    Did you have to have a significant period of time off work on bedrest?

Will wait & see the results of today's BT - I'll update here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: Well, not much to speak of. Still not sure which way this will go.

HCG has gone up but not as much as it should. It is 266, compared to 182 on Fri. (today is the day my BT was originally scheduled for - it's 17dpo) FS rang me himself, and said at least it's going in the right direction and is not toooo bad, just not as much as we'd like. But amazingly, the progesterone has only gone up one point, from 22 to 23, despite me doubling the dose. WTF? He didn't seem too negative about that, strangely. He said above 20 is feasible, but would like to see more obviously. I notice the bleeding really eases off after I use a pessary, so it is doing something but it's not absorbing into my blood ****** obviously. He wasn't keen on the idea of progesterone injections though, but he did tell me to keep using 4 pessaries. (I told the nurse this morning I used 4 instead of 3 and they didn't seem to mind that at all).

Nothing I can do except rest, and have another BT on Wed. On bed/couch rest for today & tomorrow. FS agreed that it is a possible explanation that it might have split and now one is disappearing but the other still going ... but Wed's result will show us what direction things are going I guss. He said the pregnancy is trying to take hold, but all I can do is just wait & see what happens and be prepared for the possibility of miscarriage. He also said he has seen plenty of pregnancies where the levels were a little bit slow to grow at first and then just took off. And he said he just did a scan on someone who had some bleeding but now, 2 weeks later it has all cleared up & everything is fine. He was giving more of a positive viewpoint than the nurses, who seem to be all about expecting the worst.