+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Veggie gardeners!!!

Howdy! Anyone have a veggie patch - particularly in Brisbane/gold coast area for climate wise.

What do you plant now? What's easy to grow? What's quick growing, where's good place to get info?

I'm gonna do a veggie patch in the back of the garden!!!!!

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessBeauty View Post
    Howdy! Anyone have a veggie patch - particularly in Brisbane/gold coast area for climate wise.

What do you plant now? What's easy to grow? What's quick growing, where's good place to get info?

I'm gonna do a veggie patch in the back of the garden!!!!!
    I have one growing well in Brissie. Try the gardengate application for IPhone - it gives you what to plant and when - it's so easy to use!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sleepless,
    I'm on my attempt #2 of my vegie garden - my first try failed horribly! I'm in NSW so climate will be a bit different so I'm not sure about what you should be planting so all I can give you are some tips from my trial and error so far...

Stay away from seeds! It might seem like a cheaper option but I had alot of trouble with getting my seedlings to grow past about 3cm high. I was working 7days/week then so may have had something to do with me not looking after them well.
    This time I'v just bought the little Seedling packs (I got mine from bunnings $2.95ish for about 8 seedlings.
    Two weeks before you plan to plant make sure your soil is in very good condition, add some fertilizer/compost if you need to.
    Make sure you fertilize atleast every 2 weeks once your plants are in. I'v been doing it once a week this time.

I'm still trying to work it all out myself so sorry if I'm not much help. There are alot of website about it but I got a little confused so I just go and chat to my local nursery guy if I have any Q's in particular.

This time I'v kept my vegies pretty simple. I have broccoli, beetroot, baby spinach, bok choy (they seem to be going the best so far), Spring onions and an oriental mix. it turns out better than my first attempt, so far so good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks! I love anything in iPhone Ap form! Lol!

Thanks for the tip. No seeds. Gotcha.

I'm loving the idea of growing simple things like broccoli, I envisage getting Jasper involved and excited and then HOPEFULLY that will lead to eating veggies too

Plus anything to be a bit more sustainable but this is a practice garden, we are only renting so won't go all out with my garden.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i found cherry tomato and corn kept my ds 1 interested in the garden, they were all from seedlings so didn't take too long to start coming up. corn was exciting for ds coz it got tall, and it tasted so bloody nice!!! and the tomato was fun coz he could pick them and eat them and squirt tomato juice everywhere in the process.

he also loved the sugar snap peas coz they had flowers then the veg came out and he got to pick them and eat straight away as well... he only ate the peas out of the "jackets" (as he calls them)
    not sure about when/what to plant as we are up the other end of the state

he also loved sunflowers and we had pretty good success with them from seeds... not veges though... but still nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had great success with capsicum and cucumber this year. We are in Victoria. We even managed to grow a watermelon. It was absolutly delicious!!!

I can't find the gardengate app??

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    subscribing

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh sorry its called gardenate!

I love it, it will help you choose your climate and recommend the plants and when.

I'm doing my garden again now as I've left it so I'm excited about my winter Vege!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exciting! I got on the gardenate website, very useful! So I'll Dig my garden over the weekend and do the planting next weekend!

Fun fun fun!

I'm becoming such a hippy. Lol. Firstly I'm seeing myself on the slippery slope to gluten free vegan, now I want to grow my own veggies!

I can't wait till we have out own place so we can get solar panels and rain water tank..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessBeauty View Post
    Exciting! I got on the gardenate website, very useful! So I'll Dig my garden over the weekend and do the planting next weekend!

Fun fun fun!

I'm becoming such a hippy. Lol. Firstly I'm seeing myself on the slippery slope to gluten free vegan, now I want to grow my own veggies!

I can't wait till we have out own place so we can get solar panels and rain water tank..
    Oh I didn't know they had a website! Will check it out!

You should get some worms too..we have them and the difference it made to the quality of my Veges was fantastic!