+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel Insurance when pregnant

Hi everyone! Just needed recommendations for travel insurance that covers you when you're pregnant. I'm only travelling in australia and will probably be at the end of second trimester so want something that covers me just in case baby decides to come early or anything else that may happen related to pregnancy.

Any experiences with certain companies - good or bad would be helpful. I was thinking of travel insurance direct - anyone used them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not an expert, but I thought your Private Health Cover would cover you Australia wide. If you don't have PHI your treatment would be the same in the public system in any state.

I never get travel insurance travelling in Australia as I am pretty sure my PHI covers the associated costs.

I could be completely wrong though.

I didn't think you could get travel insurance in Australia if you were Australian.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to travelmum For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is no point in getting travel insurance for medical reasons for the baby because you are covered by your health insurance and medicare.

The reason for travel insurance within Australia is if you want to cover the costs of your flights, accommodation, etc in case you have to forfeit it and the places that you book through don't offer refunds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Travel insurance is useful. It will cover your flights/accom/etc if you have a problem with your pregnancy & can't go and if you get stuck wherever you are on holidays it will cover the costs of medically evacuating you to a proper hospital (which would include expenses for your family with you if they are covered - medicare/health insurance will not). If you happen to have the baby early whilst on holidays it will cover extra accom expenses/etc.

I had a friend who went interstate on holidays at 34 weeks and just as she left the capital city she went into labour. She got back to the city hospital, but then she was put in hospital for 2 weeks before having the baby and her family had to pay to stay for an extra unplanned 2 weeks.

I'm going interstate in a couple of months and I want travel insurance too, so all suggestions welcome. It is a pre-exisiting condition, but I'm pretty sure you can get coverage, up until 26 - 30 weeks (I think that's the bit that is dependent on the insurance company).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You are not covered for pregnancy with travel insurance over 26 weeks. If you are travelling within Australia you are under medicare. I work for medical assesors for travel insurance. Read the pds in the pre existing conditons bit and it will tell you. PM me if you have any questions

Oh and also if the pregnancy is a result of IVF or fertility treatments you won't be covered at all. Same applies to a complicated or multiple pregnancy.

You will find all this info int eh PDS of each policy.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Bubhub
    Last edited by PomPoms; 06-04-2011 at 16:57.