+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With a petrol station less than two minutes from our house, I tend to leave refuelling the car until after ds has gone to bed.

If I need to refuel while ds is with me I fuel up, move the car to the front entrance of the petrol station and leave ds in a locked and ventilated car for the time it takes me to pay. He is visable (although not always happy) the entire time (never longer than a few minutes).

I refuse to take a curious and fast moving toddler into the station with me unless necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try and park at the closest pump to the door and then leave the window down a bit and lock the car. I live in a small country town though. I might do things differently in the city. I do the same when collecting mail from our post office box

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko View Post
    Well the thread was what do YOU do not what do you judge other people doing so I don't see how the way one person does something means that another had to jump to defence of why they do it. Just because people do things differently doesn't mean I think anyone is a crap parent.
    I was responding directly to this (below). I don't think anybody is calling anybody a crap parent. I was just pointing out that the actions some parents take are a direct result of having less options then other parents. Not being defensive, just saying we don't all have the same options

Believe me, I would prefer to do EVERYTHING without my kids in tow if it was an option Reinforced by our trip to the grocery store this morning

Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post

I understand that some mums don't have partners etc to put fuel in for them, so I would suggest going to those stations with credit cards at the pump (if you can watch your spending!)

Or if they have day care, put fuel in before you pick them up.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 05-04-2011 at 15:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I try to plan ahead and get fuel with DH or while he is home with DS, but if I'm on my own with DS, I pay the extra and go to the servo in town that has an attendant and give him cash at the pump so I don't have to go in and pay. If I ever got stuck without cash though, I think I would leave DS in the car with the windows down while I paid. We're rural and as there is a guy working the pump, I feel pretty safe that DS isn't in danger, but I would still lock the car.

A friend of my sisters had her car stolen with her toddler in the back of the car at the servo/post office in their tiny town. The thief ditched the car a few km's down the road when he realised, and the kid was OK, but still, that has stayed with me and I always lock the car at the servo when I go to pay whether DS is with me or not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's interesting - everyone weighs up the risks differently. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer - we all just have to do what sits most comfortably with us.

I'm comfortable leaving DD in the car, but only under a strict set of 'rules' that I follow. Someone else will do the same, but under different rules/ conditions. Someone else will take their child in, but under different rules/ conditions again.

As others have said, it may depend on where you live too. My suburb has a very low crime rate, and quite a 'villagey' feel. If I lived in an inner city area that was noted for having a higher crime rate then I might feel less comfortable with leaving her in the car. You do whatever feels right for you, based on a variety of factors at that time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko View Post
    Well the thread was what do YOU do not what do you judge other people doing so I don't see how the way one person does something means that another had to jump to defence of why they do it. Just because people do things differently doesn't mean I think anyone is a crap parent.
    I agree! I never write on these forums because of these judgmental crap!! It's stupid that we can't just say what we do without being judged I never said wow you are a bad mum for leaving your child/children in the car that's your choice and yes ATM I have 1 child and some people have 3 so we all do things different but it seems the people who leave their kids in the car are the ones getting all defensive!! I never judged you! Just said what I do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    I was responding directly to this. I don't think anybody is calling anybody a crap parent. I was just pointing out that the actions some parents take are a direct result of having less options then other parents. Not being defensive, just saying we don't all have the same options

Believe me, I would prefer to do EVERYTHING without my kids in tow if it was an option Reinforced by our trip to the grocery store this morning
    Well it goes both ways because leaving my children in the car is not an option for me. Just like my way is not an option for you yours is not for me. That's why I said that's how I do it not that that's how people should do it. Neither way is right or wrong given different variables.

Errr Sorry just read the end of what you said that you responding to someone else my apologies. I agree though it's a pain with 3 and I do the same at the shops load them al into a trolley.
    Last edited by ManekiNeko; 05-04-2011 at 15:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    There are risks leaving them in the car, and there are risks taking them out of the car, no doubt about it. There is no right or wrong answer here.
    This is my first post in this thread, so clearly we agree.

My subsequent posts were in direct reply to a suggestion of what people without partners to help could do, and a question of what people who leave their kids in cars at service stations do when shopping

I have no concern about people that take their kids out of the car Sorry if there is some confusion about that

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't care either way what people do. Sure there are risks on both sides of the argument but I think that 99% of the time a trip to the service station will be an uneventful one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Señor Chang For This Useful Post:

cutiepatootie  (05-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    It depends if I have one or both boys with me.

If I have both, I leave them because my 9 month old tries to squirm out of my arms and I need both arms to hold him and whilst my 3 year old is good generally, I can't guarantee his safety in that situation. Plus they 'talk' to each other in the car and laugh and play etc.

If I only have one of them, I take them in with me