+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

Plus if I was going to fall/ hit my head/ collapse then I would rather do that when DD was NOT in my arms!

Everyone weighs up risk differently.
    I too would not like DS in my arms if I fainted, however what I meant was that if something was to happen to me (that was an example), I would not like DS to be locked in a car without anyone knowing he was in there.

I would not prefer for him to be in my arms, I would prefer that DH puts the fuel in for me, or like I said, he follows me from his mums after we have dinner there and he pays for me.

I understand that some mums don't have partners etc to put fuel in for them, so I would suggest going to those stations with credit cards at the pump (if you can watch your spending!)

Or if they have day care, put fuel in before you pick them up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I might add I live 500 m from a petrol station so it may be a bit easier for me to duck down to get fuel at night when DP is here then if I lived far away from a fuel station.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always took mine in. I hated it! Had to fill up, then unbuckle them both, walk in and pay then take them and strap them in!

I was way too paranoid over nothing to leave them. I have no real reason except for anxiety (so I make things up!)
    I still worry and DS is almost 12!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    May I ask what risks there are?
    I think it really depends on where you live... Where I live I don't ever leave my daughter where I can't see her! Each to their own and this is how I feel!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use the shaded bowsers which are in view of the cash register and I key lock the kids in the car. I tend to see the risk of them getting hurt through running out in front of cars, being caught up in an armed robbery inside the station or breathing in petrol fumes far higher than a bowser blowing up or someone breaking into my car while I'm watching it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Clearly some parents have more options then others. My DH works away, and while things are easier now, I had 3 kids under 3 at home full time in a small regional town that we had just moved to with no family or friends and no luxuries like credit card operated pumps . So while it is nice in theory to wait until your DH fills the car, wait until the kids are in daycare, or use a fancy service station, some of us don't have those luxuries and do the best we can with what we have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just curious, what will you do when you have 2 children?
    I would get them both out?? Lol I really don't see the hassle?? Maybe it's just me but don't you get both kids out at the shops I don't see the difference people behind me just have to wait but like I said that's just me, if your different that's fine! That's your choice and I dont mind what your choice is just stating my choice!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Msjames For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (05-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Msjames View Post
    I think it really depends on where you live... Where I live I don't ever leave my daughter where I can't see her! Each to their own and this is how I feel!
    I agree. I think I also get paranoid about the heat when I read Ava's rule which her mother started when her daughter died after locking herself in the car from heat. I think I read sometimes it can take only a couple of minutes for them to succumb to the heat even in shade. Like you mentioned though there is no way i'd leave mine in my suburb unattended with windows down. Plus my DS loses it when I leave the car without him even if there is someone else in the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    Clearly some parents have more options then others. My DH works away, and while things are easier now, I had 3 kids under 3 at home full time in a small regional town that we had just moved to with no family or friends and no luxuries like credit card operated pumps . So while it is nice in theory to wait until your DH fills the car, wait until the kids are in daycare, or use a fancy service station, some of us don't have those luxuries and do the best we can with what we have.
    Well the thread was what do YOU do not what do you judge other people doing so I don't see how the way one person does something means that another had to jump to defence of why they do it. Just because people do things differently doesn't mean I think anyone is a crap parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shopping? I park as close as I can to a trolley return, get a trolley and go back to the car and take then take the kids out, put them all in the trolley, and walk up to the shops with them in the trolley. Coming back is the same deal, put them in the car, empty the trolley, return the trolley (spin off thread?? ). It is not a *hassle* rather a different risk assessment that I need to make as a mother of 3 have to a mother of 1, or even a different mother to 3.

It was going to always be safer for *me* to leave the kids in the car, then carry my newborn in one arm, hold my 18mth old hand in the other, and trust my 3 year old to hold my 18 month olds hand, while crossing a service station or a carpark.