+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also don't think it would take long at all for staff at a petrol station to notice there was a child in the car. I park right next to the entrance, which means everyone would walk past my car to go in. They also have cameras on every pump. Usually when I walk in the attendant has already rung up my bill, as they tend to notice which car you have come from.

Plus if I was going to fall/ hit my head/ collapse then I would rather do that when DD was NOT in my arms!

Everyone weighs up risk differently.

cutiepatootie is offline Babelfish's exactly-the-same-with-no-variations-at-all alter ego
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh it's been a while since we've had one of these threads!

I decide before I go how much fuel I'm putting in (say, $50) and take cash. Then I fill up, and drive up to the parking bays right outside the door. Then I get out of the car, walk in, put my $50 on the counter, say `Number 5!' (or whatever) and then leave.

It has never taken more than 15 seconds and I like that. It minimises the risks from both sides - i.e. something happening to me, or something happening to my children being out of the car in a horrible busy dangerous place.

I think it's a win-win.

Of course mostly I prefer to do it when I don't have the kids with me, such as on the way to work. But if I have them and have no choice, that's how I do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cutiepatootie For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (05-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post

There would be many risks. You dont need keys to get into or start a car, bowsers can blow up, you never know who is around. Why risk it?
    Kids can pull their hands free and bolt, somebody driving too fast hits you and your children, a car drives too fast up to the bowser and pins you to the car, there could be an armed hold up at the register etc etc. There are risks either way

*I* believe that if any of the above DID happen to me, then my children would be safer in the car with the windows down under the shade of the roof, even if it took a few minutes for people to realise they were there.

I'm happy if people have a different perception of the risks, but do not believe that either alternative offers no risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I either fill up the car when I'm alone or get someone else to do it for me.

If I HAVE to fill up and DS is with me, then as much as it is a hassle, he comes with me inside the shop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yip there's no way I'm unstrapping my 2yo and a newborn just to pay for petrol, I agree that they are safer IN the car. Heck I even leave a door open some days *gasp*. I don't have enough hands to ensure they are safe with me and pay for petrol.
    What do all the people who have a paranoia about fainting do with your trolley when you have loaded the shopping into the car? Surely the children are strapped in the car then?
    Petrol stations are busy places, someone will easily see children in the car *if* someone did collapse, and most attendents will know which car you came from as well. Though if the car is locked it will take longer to get to them while someone fishes around to try find your keys.
    Surely actually driving TOO the petrol station is more dangerous? Any thing can happen on the road.
    I so don't normally reply to these threads because people are always so divided on these things and it always causes trouble. Each to their own I say, we do whats right for us at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Youngest is four now so no more planning for petrol without kids or taking a baby and pre-schooler in and out with me.

Now he stands by the pump when I fill up and then walks in with me to pay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by my_lot View Post
    Youngest is four now so no more planning for petrol without kids or taking a baby and pre-schooler in and out with me.

Now he stands by the pump when I fill up and then walks in with me to pay.
    I don't want to sound nosey but I worked in a petrol station and a little boy was standing near his dad filling up and the fuel splashed back into his face. We cleaned him up and he was fine but the poor dad nearly had a nervous breakdown. I don't think people realise but their little faces are right in the line of fire for splash back. That's actually the reason we don't let under 15s fill up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It's safer for my children to leave them in the car. I'll take the risk, thanks, because I don't have 10 arms.

Someone could drive through and run me and my kids over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't like to leave my kids in the car and there is no way I'm getting 3 4 and under kids out. I always make sure there is fuel if I'm going somewhere and if it's running low I go and fill up when they are at kindy (take new bub out of the car to pay) or I fill up at night when DP is home with them. I think it's much easier t plan ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Msjames View Post
    Would never leave my child in the car i always take her in I don't take risks and it's so easy to get her in and out!
    Just curious, what will you do when you have 2 children?