+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF - 4 Bio-chemical pregnancies & NK cells

Following 4 bio chemical pregnacies through IVF/ICIS I have been recently diagnosed with a high level of NK cells through blood tests and an endometrial biopsy.

With my next fresh IVF/ICIS cycle (hopefully will start next week) I will commence the following treatment for my immune issues -
    • Clexane - 40mg (start CD1)
    • Dexamethasone (steriod) - 0.5g x 3 times daily (before ER) and then 0.5g x 4 times daily (after ET) (start now)
    • Antibotics - 500mg x 2 times daily, 2 days before ER and then another course 2 days before ET
    • Intralipid infusion - 2 days before ET (additonal infusions if BFP)
    • Progestrone - 800mg daily following ET
    Has anyone had success with IVF & immune treatment following biochemical / early miscarriage?

Also my Dr mentioned using IVIG if the above treatment was not successful - anyone used IVIG and had success??

This treatment is my last shot. I dont think I can keep going through this emotional rollercoaster, so hoping and praying that immune therapy just might be the answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kdmeddie, i have immune issues and did my last cycle with Prednisolone and baby aspirin and the antbiotic. It turned out to be a BFN.
    I'm thinking of trying clexane and intralipids aswell as prednisolone for my next FET.
    I didn't know dr's here in Aus did IVIG. Can I ask which clinic you are with and where you are?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mousse,

I am in Sydney and my dr looking after my immune treatment is Reproductive Immunologist Dr Matthias. Through my research I believe he is the only one in Australia who does do IVIG (could be wrong, but I couldn't find anyone else) - he ships it in from overseas.

Dr Matthias is only treating my immune issues, I am doing IVF with another Dr in Sydney. Dr Matthias is probably the most progressive Dr that I could find In Australia dealing with immune issues - my IVF Dr would only support Clexlane and prednisolone, and even getting him to agree with that took alot of persuading.

Dr Matthias treatment protocol follows the Beer Centre in the US and after reading "Is your body baby friendly" I figured out that for me another cycle of IVF / ICIS would not likely be successful unless I do intralipid or IVIG with steriods and clexlane, so hence why I went looking for a dr who would do intralipid and IVIG.

Do you know the results of your nk cell testing? Depending upon what cells are elevated the treatment can differ.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i have immune issues and on my 3rd full cycle...i used heparin (like clexane) and 2*20mg prednisolone (steroid), plus asprin, plus extra hormone support....

and i am currently feeding my lil miracle

the first 2 cycles i had 1 bfn and 1 chemical preg....i had no frosties.

this time, with the added steroid...i got my sticky bfp and 9 good frosties!!!

i really hope it works for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Kdmeddie  (03-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kdmeddie: I had a heap of BT's done late last year and everything looks fine except for the NK Cells they tested during the endometrium biopsy. My level was 18% on CD 18. My dr didn't wait until CD 25/26 which is when it is supposed to be done apparently but they are still quite high.

Do you have the same issue?
    I've heard of Dr Matthias but I"m in Melb so have to try and find a DR here who might do it. My Dr will do Intralipids, but he didn't mention IVIG. I'm not sure what the difference is though??

Smileygirl - congrats on your daughter. Did you also have high NK Cells? I feel like I"ve asked you this before. I know there have been alot of posts lateley on high NK Cells and immune issues. So sorry if I've asked these questions to you before. I took 20mg of prednisolone from CD1, did you do 2x 20mg p/day from CD1?

Thanks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mousse For This Useful Post:

Kdmeddie  (03-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kdmeddie -
    I have a DS from 3 fresh ICSI cycles, and then started to TTC #2 in August last year. My FS checked me for NK cells after I suffered a chemical pregnancy on our first cycle for #2, as my embie was a grade A embie and I had suffered chem pregs beforehand with excellent quality embies.
    I started doxycycline, aspirin and prednisolone. I had another fresh cycle and a double FET with BFN. My 3rd ICSI we did a double embryo transfer again, and continued with the same treatment, and I am UTD, waiting for the heartbeat scan to see if one or two stuck.

I think the immune protocols work, but like any cycle, it still comes down to being a numbers game - just that you have increased the likelihood of an embie sticking.

i wish you all the luck in the world that you get your sticky BFP. this is the sticky one for you

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Kdmeddie  (03-04-2011),luvmybub08  (12-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have an auto immune disorder commonly linked with NK Cells...but due to time contraints we did not test for them but they prescribed the steroids as that is what they would have done if i did have them (does that make sense lol).

we were only able to afford one last cycle and my rheum and my FS spoke and agreed to go for broke.

it really did change my whole cycle!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Mousse  (03-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh and yes i took the pred from cd1 through to 18 weeks of pregnancy...the heparin from day after transfer, the asprin from cd1 too.

also had pesaries (morning and night) and injections on day 4,8,12,16 after transfer for hormone support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Smileygirl - Wow a baby and 9 frosties that is fantastic!! Thanks for replying it is always great to hear success stories, here's hoping I can post one this year!!

Mousse - my biopsy result showed high CD56 - 38%, cant find anything in my results on CD18 though?
    IVIG is a blood product and really expensive and Intralipids is not a blood product (made from soyabean and egg yolks) and not expensive. If we are not successful with intralipids I dont think we will be able to afford IVIG.

Moongazer - Congrats on being UTD! I also have a DS from ICIS, he is now 3.5years. It was our 1st ICIS cycle, we only got 2 eggs to day 3. Our fresh cycle was BFN, but FET was BFP. So I know I can get pregnant and stay pregnant! 2nd time around not so lucky - this attempt is number 6. We are also transferring two embryos at a time. Hope your scan goes well, you see one or two little heartbeats.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kdmeddie For This Useful Post:

Mousse  (04-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls,

Well I know this post has not been posted on for a while but I thought I would provide an update on how my first cycle with immune treatment is going.

We had our best IVF cycle - 4 eggs to blastocyst! There was no change to the cycle or meds so am wondering if the immune treatment also improved my egg quality? So we transfered 2 A grade blastocysts.

Once again I did a HPT 5dpt and got a faint line, continued to test and the line got darker each day. And just like every other bio-chemical pregnancy I started to bleed 8dpt. Went in for blood test and HCG - 39. What happened in my 4 other bio-chemicals was the level would rise slightly or fall from here.
    However with this cycle I have had the following HCG's:

13DPO - HCG 39
    16DPO - HCG 109
    18DPO - HCG 160
    20DPO - HCG 388
    22DPO - HCG 790

But unfortunately I am still bleeding (have been bleeding now for 10 days). I am booked in for another intralipid infusion on Sunday. I am not confident that this is a sticky one, but as always hopeful .
    My FS and RI have not been overly confident either, they both have mentioned possible ectopic (massively freaking me out!!). But trying to just take it one day at a time, and look at this as a step in the right direction - we have never gotten these HCG levels before.

I am however now positive that my problem all along has been NK cells, as they always seem to implant but never get any further than a couple of days. Even if this one doesn't stick around, I at least feel more optimistic about one day having one stick with the help of immune treatment.