User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Crinone question

Anyone happen to know how long it takes for the progesterone in the crinone to absorb into your system? I'm just curious (and paranoid) because I really do sometimes feel like my crinone comes out (I take 2 per day, one morning one night), particularly in the morning. And I don't mean the "chunks" that are just the residue, but sometimes it seems like the actual cream is coming out. It worries me because does that mean the progesterone hasn't absorbed??
    Livvy
    Me 29 | Him 34
    May 6th 2011 BFP after 16 months TTC
    IT'S TWINS - a little boy and a little girl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Livvy

You'll always get some leakage from the crinone that's normal. I was told your body will only absorb what it needs. I don't know how long it takes for it to absorb though. I guess everybody absorbs it at different times etc... Just like pregnyl leaving your system.
    Me 35 (PCOS) Him 34 (Perfect)
    Chem 9/09, 14/4/2010 10 Wks 4 Days & 20/1/2012 7 Wks 1 Day
    IVF #1 = BFP 441 = DD2! FET #1 = BFP 530 = M/C! IVF #2 = BFP 701!
    DS1, DD1, DD2, DS2 + Natural Miracle Due May 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was told that it takes around 5 hours to be fully absorbed.

I would often think that it is coming out but i would find that would be when i went to the bathroom soon after using it. I have now learnt - bathroom stop before crinone and that seems to have eliminated that.

The nurses at my clinic have also reminded me to make sure that it is going in deep into the vagina, the deeper it is, the closer to the cervix which means the closer to the uterus where it is needed.

Good luck

Wishful xx
    Me 30 DH 36
    Clomid x2 failed. Clomid/IUI nov 09, jan 2010 both failed.
    First IVF cycle Sept/Oct 2010, 22 eggs, 4 blasties , no transfer due to OHSS
    FET #1 (natural) dec 2010 , FET jan 2011 cancelled
    FET #2 (medicated) february 2011
    Hcg#1 18dpo 656, hcg#2 20dpo 1790, hcg#3 26dpo 12,100

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wishfulmummy For This Useful Post:

Livvyloo  (31-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zultbear View Post
    Hi Livvy

You'll always get some leakage from the crinone that's normal. I was told your body will only absorb what it needs. I don't know how long it takes for it to absorb though. I guess everybody absorbs it at different times etc... Just like pregnyl leaving your system.
    Hi Zulty! I totally freak out every time I get some leakage (which is pretty much every morning at some stage after I've put it in).. it makes me think that I'm losing all the progesterone!! I think after my m/c having had such low progesterone, i'm really nervous about that now. I really hope that the fact that I'm on two per day now will eliminate any potential problems from any leakage I might have. I
    Livvy
    Me 29 | Him 34

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wishfulmummy View Post
    i was told that it takes around 5 hours to be fully absorbed.

I would often think that it is coming out but i would find that would be when i went to the bathroom soon after using it. I have now learnt - bathroom stop before crinone and that seems to have eliminated that.

The nurses at my clinic have also reminded me to make sure that it is going in deep into the vagina, the deeper it is, the closer to the cervix which means the closer to the uterus where it is needed.

Good luck

Wishful xx
    I do the same, go to the bathroom before I put it in, and I try to stay lying down for awhile too but some morning's I can't, and it doesn't always make a difference anyway, I always notice some leakage and it really worries me.

That's a good tip about making sure the applicator goes in deep.. I actually do that already but I'm going to be extra vigilent from here on in.
    Livvy
    Me 29 | Him 34

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe you could suggest to your FS the progesterone pessaries instead of the crinone? The pessaries are a solid progesterone not a "liquid" like the crinone. They're $$ cheaper as well. They melt with the heat of your body. You'll still get leakage but it might give your body a chance to absorb more?
    Me 35 (PCOS) Him 34 (Perfect)
    Chem 9/09, 14/4/2010 10 Wks 4 Days & 20/1/2012 7 Wks 1 Day
    IVF #1 = BFP 441 = DD2! FET #1 = BFP 530 = M/C! IVF #2 = BFP 701!
    DS1, DD1, DD2, DS2 + Natural Miracle Due May 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't exactly answer your question, but I had the same concerns during my first two cycles. My FN didn't offer any advice beyond - Put it up there and sorry it gets a bit messy after a while.

#1 AF arrived in full force 12dpo.
    #2 started spotting on 12dpo, but held it off until after stopping crinone.
    #3 This time it's even prevented spotting (15dpo, POAS says BFN, BT tomorrow with hopes pinned on me being someone who mysteriously doesn't pee HCG).

The thing I'm doing differently this time (and at the end of last time) is actively fishing for old crinone while in the shower twice a day right before the next application.
    (a) I was worried about the fresh stuff getting caught up in any remnant cottage cheese and not having contact with my vagina wall.
    (b) The aqueous phase is the rate limiting step for absorption by the body. I don't know how thoroughly you've read the information leaflet, but it says that progesterone dissolves in fat/oil (like all steroids), and only a tiny bit in water. Crinone gel has both water and fat components. You absorb the progesterone from their fancy water portion and this keeps getting topped up with progesterone from the fat portion of the crinone. So I figure a smidge of extra normal water left around from my fishing expedition might help to provide a larger contact area for my body to absorb the progesterone initially.
    (c) The crinone watery component swells when it gets wet to produce the cottage cheese. Assuming this is an intended and desirable effect of the product, having just finished my fishing might help it to swell better.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

Livvyloo  (31-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zultbear View Post
    Maybe you could suggest to your FS the progesterone pessaries instead of the crinone? The pessaries are a solid progesterone not a "liquid" like the crinone. They're $$ cheaper as well. They melt with the heat of your body. You'll still get leakage but it might give your body a chance to absorb more?
    Actually my FS did say he would look into that for me for next time if I want to change over. I don't mind the crinone, I've just lost my confidence from what happened last time.. especially knowing I could have been preg right now if it weren't for what happened with the crinone not staying in

I'm sure that on 2 crinone per day that will solve the problem, cos the morning dose is really just a "back up" for the night dose.. but I still worry.. !
    Livvy
    Me 29 | Him 34

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    I can't exactly answer your question, but I had the same concerns during my first two cycles. My FN didn't offer any advice beyond - Put it up there and sorry it gets a bit messy after a while.

#1 AF arrived in full force 12dpo.
    #2 started spotting on 12dpo, but held it off until after stopping crinone.
    #3 This time it's even prevented spotting (15dpo, POAS says BFN, BT tomorrow with hopes pinned on me being someone who mysteriously doesn't pee HCG).

The thing I'm doing differently this time (and at the end of last time) is actively fishing for old crinone while in the shower twice a day right before the next application.
    (a) I was worried about the fresh stuff getting caught up in any remnant cottage cheese and not having contact with my vagina wall.
    (b) The aqueous phase is the rate limiting step for absorption by the body. I don't know how thoroughly you've read the information leaflet, but it says that progesterone dissolves in fat/oil (like all steroids), and only a tiny bit in water. Crinone gel has both water and fat components. You absorb the progesterone from their fancy water portion and this keeps getting topped up with progesterone from the fat portion of the crinone. So I figure a smidge of extra normal water left around from my fishing expedition might help to provide a larger contact area for my body to absorb the progesterone initially.
    (c) The crinone watery component swells when it gets wet to produce the cottage cheese. Assuming this is an intended and desirable effect of the product, having just finished my fishing might help it to swell better.
    Thanks for this - I actually have done a bit of "fishing" this time around myself. Not every time, but a few times I've given myself a clean out, because like you I thought what if the new cream gets caught up with the remnants of the old stuff and doesn't hit the vaginal wall. I might have to make sure I do this more often than just every couple of days though based on your explanation. Almost too late now considering I'm only 2 days off BT, but it's something to keep in mind anyway!

GL for your BT.. i hope you ARE one of those people who doesn't pee HCG
    Livvy
    Me 29 | Him 34

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Livvyloo View Post
    Actually my FS did say he would look into that for me for next time if I want to change over. I don't mind the crinone, I've just lost my confidence from what happened last time.. especially knowing I could have been preg right now if it weren't for what happened with the crinone not staying in

I'm sure that on 2 crinone per day that will solve the problem, cos the morning dose is really just a "back up" for the night dose.. but I still worry.. !
    Hi Livvy - Another option is pregnyl injections as they contain estrogen, progesterone and HCG. Can't remember if you are with Rep in Adelaide or not but if so, most FS there will prescibe this for you. Unfortunately low progesterone levels may not have been the only cause for your m/c. It is not my intention to upset you but with such a drop in HCG there could have been other factors that contributed.

you get a sticky BFP this time. Good luck with your BT.
    Me 43 DH 46 DD 2
    ICSI BFN ICSI Chem 5.5w FET Chem 6.5w FET BFP MM/C D&C 9w - Trisomy 15. FET BFN. ICSI Chem 11w FET BFN. FET BFP + NK cells, MTHFR & others