+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    An a PP said, I am wondering what the heck I am doing wrong!

How much is your electricity bill per quarter? $800 - $1000

& what's the background
    We did have fairly small, two BR, one bathroom house, and bills were $400 - $500. Last year we did a BIG renovation, doubled the floor space, and also doubled the bill. Since getting that first big bill, we are meticulous about turning lights off, turning applicances off at the wall when not in use. I rarely use the clothes dryer.
    House size? Big now - 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms, two living areas
    How many people living in it? Me, DH & Supergirl all the time + my 12 & 10 yo, four days/week
    Aircon? Since doing the reno, we now have a ducted reverse cycle, which we use flat-out all Summer, and a fair bit during Winter
    Are you home during day? Working three days/week, home the other four
    Tv usage ? One LCD, on pretty much every evening, one "old-style" one on maybe a couple of evenings a week. LCD on a couple of hours or so through the day on days which I am home.
    What state? SA

People who have talked about turning off the HWS, can you elaborate? Do you just turn it off at the meter box? And how long does it take to heat up again (ie if I turned if off overnight, how long after I turn it on again in the morning will I have hot water?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bill: $250- 280 per qtr
    House size? small brick house, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, dining/kitchen and lounge
    How many people living in it? 2 adults
    Aircon? No (will be 1 getting before next summer)
    Are you home during day? 3months/year, yes - 5 to 7 days a week. Rest of the year no, out from 8-7 5-7 days/week.
    Tv usage ? Approx 1 hour in the morning and from about 6pm-11pm at night, most nights. Will also add on a computer used for about 2-4hours/day.
    What state? NSW
    Extra Info: Electric stove/oven. Lightsaving globes in most lights. Woodfire for heating in winter. Dryer approx 2-4times a month during winter (try my very best to line dry).

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got our bill today and it had come down since the last quarter, which is odd as I didn't work in the last 3 months so I was home more often with tele etc going.. It was $230...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Winter 2015 electricity bill

Hi mums,
    Wondering whether the $900 electricity bill we got this winter is normal for a family of 6 or way too high.
    2 adults
    2 teenagers
    1 toddler
    1 baby
    No gas in house so used oil heaters & air conditioner for heating. I'm home during the day on maternity leave. How does my bill compare to other families? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours is similar, no gas and a big old drafty house! I figure it's our only bill and we have to be warm so it doesn't worry me. We are with origin who give a 34% discount, which makes a massive difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Origin are one of the most expensive companies even with their discount. DH works in the industry and knows rates across the board and they're a rip off. We were with AGL and 8 months ago switched to Powershop. We've already saved $300 just from that switch and also starting to run our washing machine overnight instead of during the day. It's actually really tough to get the exact rates because some companies blatantly lie when you ask them. DH is all over it thankfully and knew how to sort the crap from the legitimate info but it still took him several days and a lot of excel work to suss out which company best suited our needs. Pretty ridiculous given he's a financial modeller for a living and has worked in the industry for 6 years. Makes it hard for the average person to figure out the best deal. But just be warned, those massive discounts don't necessarily mean jack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours was 700
    3 adults
    1 teen
    2 kids
    So = 6
    No gas etc, plus we have a pool which uses a fair bit.
    We are in nsw, I think previously it has been mentioned that pricing varies from state to state.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Roughly $500 per quarter. No gas electric everything. In qld do no major heating, in summer we do use aircon.
    2 adults and 2 kids ( toddler and newborn)
    Toddler in cloth nappies so extra loads per week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback. We did our research pretty carefully due to our electricity being the largest and only bill we have and Origin beat the competition with the deal they gave us. I switch providers every 12-24 months to chase the best deal possible - last year I had three different providers as they did that sneaky thing of increasing their rates once they had signed you up!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Winter 2015 electricity

Interesting to read what other households are paying. I'm in NSW with energy Australia. Hubby had a go at me for the $900 bill blaming me for using aircon every morning for a few hours. We are in a fibro house & with a toddler & newborn you are up early. I refuse to freeze! Might look into switching companies...