+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,213
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked
    594
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I had to have surgery (under GA) to repair the damage to my perineum (and higher) and my sphincter. But i havent had problems with it at all since, my bowel and bladder works perfectly.
    Silly question, but isn't that a 4th degree tear? I thought if the sphincter was damaged at all that was a 4th degree tear.

    I had a 3rd degree tear and I read a bit on it a while back and it seemed to be ok to have another VB, but a 4th degree tear is extremely risky. I forgot to talk to my Ob about it at my first appointment and it's something we need to discuss next week at my next appointment as I would also prefer not to have a c-section if I can at all avoid it.

    All the best!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    Silly question, but isn't that a 4th degree tear? I thought if the sphincter was damaged at all that was a 4th degree tear.

    I had a 3rd degree tear and I read a bit on it a while back and it seemed to be ok to have another VB, but a 4th degree tear is extremely risky. I forgot to talk to my Ob about it at my first appointment and it's something we need to discuss next week at my next appointment as I would also prefer not to have a c-section if I can at all avoid it.

    All the best!
    There are different levels of 3rd degree tearing, mine was into more than 50% of my sphincter but not into the muscles around, which would have made it 4th degree.

    2. Definitions
    Second degree tear: involves the perineal muscles only1
    Obstetric anal sphincter injury: applies to both third- and fourth-degree tears1
    Third degree tear: injury to the perineum involving partial or complete disruption of the anal sphincter complex (external [EAS] and internal [IAS])

    3a <50% of external sphincter torn1
    3b >50% of external sphincter torn1
    3c internal sphincter torn
    Fourth degree tear: involves anal sphincter and rectal mucosa.1
    Link

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,213
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked
    594
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks! That clarifies it. But I suppose for me if I'd had to go to theatre to actually get the sphincter repaired I wouldn't have another VB. By the way I'd be concerned about immediate faecal incontinence, not a problem 20 years later. If the sphincter is torn & doesn't work, then it doesn't work straight away. That's what scares me.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    523
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    44
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi IndigoJ

    Looks like i'll be in the same boat as you, so confused what to do, just had my first app at Hospital and they have already put it out there for a csec (I'm 8wks) so at least I have a long time to research before making any decisions. I also had a 3rd degree into 50% of my sphincter with DS. They have told me there is only a 5% chance that I will tear again, but I'm very worried about the ramifications if it all go's wrong. What can they do to fix faecal incontinence? and being a public patient would I have a long hall to get anything fixed. I hope everything goes well for you, have you decided to birth vaginally? I am leaning towards vaginal but will really research it before I decide.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,213
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked
    594
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I talked to my Ob about it and he laughed when I asked if he recommended a c-section after 1 3rd degree tear. He thought that was unnecessary. Remember a c-section is a major operation and he thought it was quite unnecessary. He said that it had been discussed at a meeting he went to that morning with other Ob's and he was shocked that they'd offered a woman with 2 3rd degree tears a c-section when he thought a third VB would be preferable. I'm happy that he's so pro-VB. He said a 4th degree tear is a completely different matter however.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,213
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked
    594
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larlee View Post
    Hi IndigoJ

    Looks like i'll be in the same boat as you, so confused what to do, just had my first app at Hospital and they have already put it out there for a csec (I'm 8wks) so at least I have a long time to research before making any decisions. I also had a 3rd degree into 50% of my sphincter with DS. They have told me there is only a 5% chance that I will tear again, but I'm very worried about the ramifications if it all go's wrong. What can they do to fix faecal incontinence? and being a public patient would I have a long hall to get anything fixed. I hope everything goes well for you, have you decided to birth vaginally? I am leaning towards vaginal but will really research it before I decide.
    So, it's a 5% risk of a tear ... that doesn't mean a 5% risk of major problems, just of a tear needing suturing. I would imagine (but I'm not sure) that the risk of major problems would be MUCH smaller than that. Whereas the risk of complications from a c-section of many different types has to be higher.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    I talked to my Ob about it and he laughed when I asked if he recommended a c-section after 1 3rd degree tear. He thought that was unnecessary. Remember a c-section is a major operation and he thought it was quite unnecessary. He said that it had been discussed at a meeting he went to that morning with other Ob's and he was shocked that they'd offered a woman with 2 3rd degree tears a c-section when he thought a third VB would be preferable. I'm happy that he's so pro-VB. He said a 4th degree tear is a completely different matter however.
    After i wrote this thread, i went and saw some more Drs. One actually read my notes, i did have a 4th degree tear, i tore into my muscle.

    I have decided to have a VB as my recovery last time was approx 8wks with absolutely no problems arising from my tear so im confident i can birth with minimal tearing.

    No more than 4wks to go and ill be able to update.

    Good Luck Larlee.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Csection scar pain in pregnancy 8 months since last csec.
    By Melanieplus4 in forum Caesareans
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-06-2012, 10:53
  2. DTD after a 4th degree tear....
    By ES2010 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 06:54
  3. Is it better to tear again or have an episiotomy?
    By Bank in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 18:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Super soft, fun prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton plus non-toxic wooden toys. • Hypoallergenic - perfect for eczema relief • Everything needed to shop for a baby shower • 10% off + FREE gift with purchase. Use code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Softmats
Softmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and Premium Bubba Mat™ range of floor spaces are the best quality in the world.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!