+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Does the craving of addiction ever go away....?

Simply put..... Does the craving of your drug of choice ever go away??

Some days I'm fine - pre occupied with my current life.. But when I'm bored or alone I think about my drug of choice and what life would be like if I never met DP. Sometimes I even think I want to go back! the memories.. The friends.. The fun.. But it would have killed me. It had to end sooner or later. You can't party for the rest of your life right?

Tell me it goes away. Eventually.?!? 3.5 years on it still plagues me.

Why WHY WHY!!!!!!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Puffin View Post
    Simply put..... Does the craving of your drug of choice ever go away??

Some days I'm fine - pre occupied with my current life.. But when I'm bored or alone I think about my drug of choice and what life would be like if I never met DP. Sometimes I even think I want to go back! the memories.. The friends.. The fun.. But it would have killed me. It had to end sooner or later. You can't party for the rest of your life right?

Tell me it goes away. Eventually.?!? 3.5 years on it still plagues me.

Why WHY WHY!!!!!!
    While I havent had an addiction, I HAVE battled an eating disorder for 15 years.
    For me, its so easy to slip back into that world.
    I didnt eat until 530pm today, and I swam laps had a walk. Then I realised what I was doing, and had a hot cross bun. (mmmmmmmm)
    I dont even realise that Im doing it, and EVERYTHING I see the calorie value, not a yummy piece of cake.
    I think its something you have to fight forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh it's so hard... Do you ever just forget it? Or is it always there?

I mean I know I have to work for it.. But seriously sometimes I don't enjoy where I'm at now even though it's great.

Arch need to snap out of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was never really addicted to any of the drugs I took in my past, but I have had addictions to other things and sometimes I don't think the craving ever goes away.

It's more about how to deal with it every day...enjoy the fun memories but know that it is best to remain in the past in order for a brighter future.

Hope you can find peace with your addiction cravings

Thanks
    Reviews
    It has been 6 years since DH took me away from my addiction. And yes i still crave it.

The way it felt, the friends, the sense of that i could do anything and everything.

And i have slip along the way.

It is so hard, but i look at what i have, and what i can have without it, and then i think i don't need it.

But it is hard. And i am so glad that my DH took me away from it as i don't think i would have made it on my own and i would hate to think where i would be now.
    Last edited by Kimnus; 29-03-2011 at 08:47.

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not sure it ever really goes away and I HATE saying that because I feel like it has the power to upset the apple cart or push us all off the wagon.. But... I think its HELPFUL to know.. that choosing sobriety and staying clean means making that choice every single day, sometime multiple times a day.. Its horrifying to think about, but so is the other option....

Like everything "past" we paint it so pretty.. it is so EASY to remember the good stuff.. I have to MAKE myself forget that and focus on the horror, on the why I stopped part.. I have had to retrain my brain slowly but surely.. (and with help, ****ELOADS of help!!!!!!)

Try to stay as distracted as you possibly can, make plans with friends, get out and about.. work out (or try to do something physical) till you can think without thinking about "it".

You are stronger than you know.. Speaking out here proves it. I applaud and thank you for it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoarsomeMum For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (29-06-2012),scarymarygoldfish  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I probly cant say i was ADDICTED, but i certainly LIKED my drug of choice. When i fell pregnant, it was very important to me to give it up. I had a LAST ONE and i found that was alot easier than giving up just like that...it was almost like i got to say goodbye.

2 kids later and breastfeeding and i STILL crave it sometimes, but for me, its NOT just about me anymore, which has made it alot easier. I also found, not putting myself in situations when i would want to use made it easier too.

My favourite saying is 'Idle hands are the Devils play thing'. Definatly true when dealing with addiction. Try and keep yourself and your hands busy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think for illegal drugs, well my drug of choice, yes.

I was heavily into one particular one and if I had any lying around I would take it no matter the time of day.

But 10 years after I could have it occasionally and have a little and put the rest away for weeks at a time.

I think in my case, I knew that if I got addicted to this drug again I would end up loosing my kidney and it wasn't worth that. Was nice to go out get trashed occasionally but was even nicer to know that I can and would say nope don't feel like it.

My history with them has been going for half my life and the only drug I had problems getting off was pot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone...

I mean I know I'm better off .. But there is always that little thing in the back of my mind saying "you gave it up too soon.. You weren't ready to be clean"...

For me it was DP and it was either him or the addiction. So i felt forced into quitting. Now all my friends have moved away from my area and onto bigger and better things (navy, over seas, Melbourne etc) and I'm still stuck here in this *hitty town with no friends and a bored imagination stuck in the past thinking about how fun it was.

I do forget the bad times though. Your right. Vomiting all over myself and passing out in a nightclub bathroom to have a close male friend barge in, take my dirty dress off and carry me out in my underwear. More embarrassing then anything and I won't ever go back to that. But the fun times.... Just wish I could think of some good times drug free. Or wish I could forget.

It's hard to talk about it. Because the few bad times were really really bad. But..... Hmmm

Just another day I guess I have to get used to this feeling

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    for me, no, i dont think it will go away.
    ive been 'cured' for 9 years now, and when i was pregnant with hyperemesis, i was hospitaalised for psych observation. they thought i was inducing vomiting, so i wouldnt get 'fat' while pregnant.
    although being pregnant and breastfeeding are so good for me, mentally, as theres no way id risk my child.