+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    Omg sorry I don't mean to crash your thread but I can't believe how expensive thing have gotten! Am I that old that when I was at school 50 cents could buy you a fair bit of stuff?
    50 cents will buy you a sauce packet on the school I work at's lunch order list. That said, the cheapest item is $1.50.

For what you get the prices on our list are quite reasonable. Everything is made fresh. We outsource to a local cafe who pick up the orders and drop off the food. We have a no junk food rule. There aren't any fizzy drinks, party pies etc. A lite chocolate milk is probably the worst drink, and a home made (veggie riddled) sausage roll is the worst main food. You can also get a gingerbread man or pita bread, veg and dip kit as snacks. I usually go for the veg sushi pack ($8), seared chicken roll ($7) or the fritatta and salad($10). The teachers list goes up to $15 and includes things like pumpkin gnocci and parma with chips but the serves are massive.

Yes, this is a state school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is in prep and he buys his lunch every Friday. It's something he looks forward to and he has the choice of what he wants and each week he has made healthy choices. He so far has had sushi, spaghetti bolognese, ham and salad rolls etc. They have a great range and affordable. We call it a canteen, I was brought up in NZ and we referred to it as that.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Once a week DD buys her lunch at the canteen. She always wants a pie or pizza (pizza day is monday, pie day is friday - so if she gets a pizza on monday then she has to wait almost 2 weeks if she wants a pie the following week. They are $3ea. I used to enjoy a once a week treat to buy my lunch (still do!) and while I have just the one at school, we will keep doing it, and re-asses if funds don't allow it when I have all 4 at school. She will sometimes take $1 to buy an ice-block, once a week, or if she just gets pikelets (10c each) then she makes it last a day or 2. She will often buy some for her friend though, and then she will buy her some the next time she has money.

She takes her lunch, fruit and afternoon tea every other day, and most her snacks are home-made, so the once a week treat is fine by me. I am just happy that she is eating the meat (if you can call it that!!! - but the canteen lady said they are low fat pies, so perhaps a teeny bit healthier?) as she is a fussy eater, and skinny as a rake!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My DS school only has tuckshop on Fridays. He's never had it though.

You have to get there before school to order it and we are usually running late.

DS is so fussy and a vegetarian so there is not really anything on the menu that caters for his needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We call it tuckshop or canteen.

He doesn't have a set routine,it all depends on if i have shopped for lunchbox stuff .Ds can be incredibly fussy and a PITA to feed away from home ie he won't have hot food cold,refuses sandwiches.It does my head in.So tuckshop is a good alternative and cheap, ie he can get a cheesie (half a roll with melted cheese) for 50c.

Sometimes he will go weeks without it and then he will get it nearly everyday.

The menu is fairly healthy.

bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We're from Vic & call it tuckshop at our school. My 3 have a lunch order on a Friday and generally have pie or sausage roll with sauce for $2 which is so cheap. I would let them have a chocolate milk with that, but am thinking ahead to when I have 6 at school and $4 x 6 will equal quite a bit of money!

Our school canteen also has a limit on what children can spend overall and a further limit on lollies, which I think is brilliant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give $4 each for primary school, and $5 each for high school. Most people think this is too little. However they have easy access to snacks to take along so it is only really supposed to be replacing their sandwich, and they get to keep any change they don't spend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Ds2, never, he hates getting tuckshop because he reckons it takes too long and takes away from his sport time.

Ds1 maybe once a month at the moment, but more often once I go back to work. He needs at least $10 for the day.

We call it tuckshop

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD uses her pocket money if she wants a lunch order (I'm teaching her the value of money ATM) she has just relized there is no point using it for lunch often as she can save for something better.
    If she does order its usually sushi sometimes chicken nuggets.
    In summer I will give her money for an icy pole and in winter for a chicken noodle soup once a week.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default canteen/tuckshop

Dd is in prep and they don't have a canteen. They have a lunch order list that you can order off and it goes to a local milkbar and the food is bought back at lunchtime.
    They also have a school run hot food day each fortnight where they get a hot dog in a roll, a cinnamon donut and a fruit box for $5. She always has that and has only had 2 lunch orders this year.
    The list is mostly healthy but very limited and she has a hotdog, fruit box and popcorn for $5.