+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great info on the band

DH sat in our doctors waiting room for two hours last night and when he seen the doctor he wrote him a referal right away... DH called to book appointment today but was told the surgery will cost 10-12 thousand dollars money we don't have right now but if we wait a year for private health who knows what he will weigh... now I need to convince him to at least try slim down or maintain until we can A) qualify for HBF cover and B) afford the few thousand dollars we will need to cover the costs...

I guess if he is serious though he will be willing to try.

In your opinion do you think he will still be eligable if he looses some weight on his own?

2 years ago he got down to 110 by calorie counting and going to the gym but then his gma got sick and we needed to care for her and well 18 months later he's gained 45+ kilo's I love him to bits but he can not maintain his weightloss and to be honest neither can I!

I guess this is why he needs the band to help him maintain a healthy weight he can not control his diet/ portions so the band is his last resort ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had lap banding surgery last year in october and have lost 41kg (start weight was 160kg) I have only had 2 fills - so I think have 3 mls atm.

I have been lucky for the most part that I can eat bread if i really chew it up, and can eat most meat - some trouble with tough steaks and things - but have developed a love affair with lamb chops Pizza is definitely off the menu - not a good feeling when that comes back - i thought i was having a heart attack lol!

I have been going to the gym for the last 4 weeks, and my weight loss has slowed down - but certainly still losing size - have lost about 8cm from my waist alone in the last month.

My partner attempted to have the same surgery - but failed due to adhesions from previous surgery, but with stubborness and following my eating plans - she has lost 20kg too. Now we are planning an overseas holiday and are selling all our old clothes to pay for it

Good luck to everyone else out there on this same journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybumblebee View Post
    Great info on the band

DH sat in our doctors waiting room for two hours last night and when he seen the doctor he wrote him a referal right away... DH called to book appointment today but was told the surgery will cost 10-12 thousand dollars money we don't have right now but if we wait a year for private health who knows what he will weigh... now I need to convince him to at least try slim down or maintain until we can A) qualify for HBF cover and B) afford the few thousand dollars we will need to cover the costs...

I guess if he is serious though he will be willing to try.

In your opinion do you think he will still be eligable if he looses some weight on his own?

2 years ago he got down to 110 by calorie counting and going to the gym but then his gma got sick and we needed to care for her and well 18 months later he's gained 45+ kilo's I love him to bits but he can not maintain his weightloss and to be honest neither can I!

I guess this is why he needs the band to help him maintain a healthy weight he can not control his diet/ portions so the band is his last resort ...
    I see that you are in Perth. There are a couple of Perth surgeons who will do the surgery in public system and it will only cost you $1,000.00. I think one of them operates from Joondalup Health campus - have a look on the lapbandtalk website and the Australia section of the forum as they may have more details there on surgeons.

If your partners loses most of his excess weight then he won't need surgery but in my experience anyone who is over 100kgs is pretty much offered the surgery without any hassle (at least in WA) so he will still be eligible if you wait out the private health waiting period.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

babybumblebee  (03-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse27 View Post
    i had lap banding surgery last year in october and have lost 41kg (start weight was 160kg) I have only had 2 fills - so I think have 3 mls atm.

I have been lucky for the most part that I can eat bread if i really chew it up, and can eat most meat - some trouble with tough steaks and things - but have developed a love affair with lamb chops Pizza is definitely off the menu - not a good feeling when that comes back - i thought i was having a heart attack lol!

I have been going to the gym for the last 4 weeks, and my weight loss has slowed down - but certainly still losing size - have lost about 8cm from my waist alone in the last month.

My partner attempted to have the same surgery - but failed due to adhesions from previous surgery, but with stubborness and following my eating plans - she has lost 20kg too. Now we are planning an overseas holiday and are selling all our old clothes to pay for it

Good luck to everyone else out there on this same journey

Welcome to our chat section Nurse27, Congrats on your loss. 47 kgs is fantastic .

Do you know where you are going to go on your holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I see that you are in Perth. There are a couple of Perth surgeons who will do the surgery in public system and it will only cost you $1,000.00. I think one of them operates from Joondalup Health campus - have a look on the lapbandtalk website and the Australia section of the forum as they may have more details there on surgeons.

If your partners loses most of his excess weight then he won't need surgery but in my experience anyone who is over 100kgs is pretty much offered the surgery without any hassle (at least in WA) so he will still be eligible if you wait out the private health waiting period.

Wow that fantastic news. Thanks for such great info louellyn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going to Bali for our holiday - My partner has never been overseas, so things are very exciting for a long plane ride

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I found this story on news.com
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226049265042

WEIGHT loss surgery for clinically-obese Australians will eventually pay for itself, experts say.

A health economics report shows patients could expect to recoup the initial cost of the weight loss surgery in about 3.5 years, the Royal Australian College of Surgeons 2011 Annual Scientific Congress in Adelaide has been told.
    The report was commissioned by Johnson and Johnson Medical, which manufactures surgical equipment used in weight-loss surgery.
    Lynne Pezzullo, Lead Partner of the Deloitte Heath Economics and Social Policy group, says the personal financial benefits of weight loss surgery are often overlooked when people do the sums regarding the costs of the procedure.
    "Apart from the substantial health system costs associated with being obese - such as the treatment costs for conditions like diabetes, heart disease and trips to the doctor for various arthritic problems - there is also the loss of income connected with diseases that obese people are at increased risk of contracting in the future like cancer," Ms Pezzullo said.

"When patients are thinking about weight-loss surgery they also need to think about how they can save on the other side of the equation."
    Some savings are seen in small daily tasks, like catching buses or walking instead of having to take taxis.
    Access Economics figures show the annual costs related to obesity in the Australian population is about $8.5 billion or $19,000 per annum for individuals.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz1LHGnaNjS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't we all been saying that already?

I really think those in government have no idea about how to save money...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Haven't we all been saying that already?

I really think those in government have no idea about how to save money...
    I agree with you.

I was just surprised to see it in the news today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to come back and post a big thank-you to you ladies for all the great info you have given.

MY DH has been approved for band surgery and has his first appointment with the surgeon on the 1st of June, he has done blood tests and a sleep jacket all to check his health. He may have to wait 5 months but might be having xmas dinner through a straw this year and the out of pocket costs were reasonable and no where near the thousands of $$$ he was origanally quoted I'm nervous for him having surgury but oh so proud of him too.

Unfortunately he told his parents and they flipped out at him, my husband has been overweight for 27 years (since he was 5) he has been teased and taunted and struggled to maintain a healthy weight and now he has the courage to stand up and fight for his health and they scream abuse down the phone at him telling him all he needs to do is stop eating if only it were that simple... but he didn't let it bring him down.

Anyway I'm proud of him dispite what others say and Thanks again for all the great Info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    That is wonderful news. Good on him for not letting his parents get him down.