+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Molly Coddle View Post
    Veggie protein w/ lapband...
    silken tofu (firm gets stuck for me), burgers made with chickpeas or lentils or beans (in a food processor).. these are a staple for me when I am at high restriction, baked beans (those tiny kid's tins are great - go for the salt reduced), veggie sausages and all of those products you can get from the supermarket are very band friendly, lentil dahl, refried beans etc. yummmmo!

And hellllooo

Thanks Mrs Molly

I bow down to Mrs Molly on all band related things.
    If I have said anything wrong please inform me. As i really don't know much and what I do it from people who have gone from the band to the sleeve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys! Well I've never been over 135kg and it sounded as though I was only just eligible for the lapband. I think the band is probably better for me as I don't want something irreversible and also love that the band is adjustable for pregnancy etc. However I didn't know about the sleeve so I'm going to do some researching! thanks for the info!

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok so the 4-1-1 on the lapband (as compared to the sleeve, IMO)(I have the lapband)(and am using lots of brackets lately, sorry)..

As mentioned, it is adjustable. You can change how restricted you are, ie. how much you can/can't eat by visiting your surgeon and having it tightened or loosened. It's a simply procedure that takes less than a minute, but it's obviously a pain in the bum if you live far away from your surgeon. I'm an hour by car so it's not entirely convenient, but not out of the question. I fell pregnant with the band so had all of the fluid removed for the pregnancy.

It is reversible, which is the main reason I decided to go with the band. My sister also had the procedure and has since had hers removed. If you want more details about that, feel free to PM me, but I won't go into details here for the sake of her privacy

Unlike with the sleeve, I can't physically tolerate certain foods. My band is quite loose at the moment, but I still struggle with soft, doughy breads (including pizza bases ), stringy vegetables (like celery), tough meat, scrambled eggs and quiche, and a few other things. It varies from person to person. When I am at a "good" level of restriction - which for me is when I'm losing between 1 and 1.5kgs a week - I can't tolerate any bread at all, pretty much no meat other than mince... you get the picture. It can be a pain, but you do learn very quickly what you can and can't have, and you do adjust.

Weight loss tends to be slower and, when you look at the averages, people lose more weight with the sleeve. My starting weight was 126kgs. I got pregnant 7 months after I had the surgery, and I was 91kgs. DD is 12 weeks old now and I am about 95kgs, and my goal is 75kgs.

Unlike with the sleeve, you CAN cheat. You can drink high calorie drinks, eat icecream, foods with lots of cream etc, and you won't lose any weight. Like with anything, you need to eat healthy and wholesome food or it doesn't work, even at a high level of restriction.

Anyway I hope some of this helps! If you have more questions, I will try and answer them as best as I can
    Last edited by Mrs Molly Coddle; 10-04-2011 at 21:19.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

iMischa  (10-04-2011),LoveLivesHere  (10-04-2011)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I also meant to say that if things don't work out with me and the band, I would ideally go for the sleeve surgery as my next step. Except I can't afford it so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the band stays happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Mrs Molly, Firstly thanks for that wonderful post.

Wow you are doing so well Mrs Molly

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

iMischa  (10-04-2011),Mrs Molly Coddle  (10-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why thank you my love! And it's my pleasure!!
    I am really struggling at the moment. I was 95kgs when DD was born, went up to 97, down to 94, back on 95, so I'm "maintaining" I suppose. I have had one adjustment but it didn't really make much difference. She is exclusively breastfed and the surgeon says they don't like to start tightening it until the little babies are at least 4 months old so as not to interfere with my milk supply. Rightly so, I think, but I wish I had a bit more self control so I could lose a bit on my own!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    exceptionally well!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I am stuck on 102/103 round about. I have had a headache/migraine for the last week and a half. I have doing easy meals instead of healthy/ weight loss meals. Lot's of take aways etc.. I hope to get off this silly round about next week.

I am glad your surgeon is taking M into his calculations for your band adjustments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thanks girls. I did think that once I had DD that I would just pick up where I left off and keep dropping the weight, so it's disappointing. I think others expected I would too. N'mind.
    loving5 - yes it was very sensible of him. I'm surprised actually. I thought he'd just pump it all back in and send me on my way, but he has been quite conservative. Very good of him and DD is happy! Wishing you a better week this week and hope those migraines disappear! Ouch!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try not to let the pressure get to u miss molly c, the body doesn't recover hormonally for at least a yr after having a bub (so my gp says). Frustrating I know. *hugs* do u find it harder or less motivated as time goes on? What do u think is the difference between now and when u first started?