+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Default Weight loss surgery chat

I thought I would start a thread where we could chat.

I'll start. I had a gastric sleeve in may of 2010. I lost 75 kg altogether and 48 since the op so far. I love my sleeve.

I am also happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Just bumping for the member who had questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    oh! i never saw this thread until now! helllllllllooooooooooooooo!

i have a question!! how do u get your daily protein in every meal?? *i think ive asked this before but i cant remember* like what sort of things do u have?? .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Breakfast - yoghurt's, milk, egg, bacon, ham etc....

Lunch - chicken, ham, deli meat, meat, cheese etc....

Dinner - meat of some sort, eggs, cheese etc...

I don't know much vegetarian options but there are some.

Some people will add protein powder to meal too. I have never done it myself because i love my protein..

It really important to eat protein first for the first few months....
    It not forever (that you need it at every meal but while your in rapid loss it is important)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is sleeve the same as lapband? I was scheduled for having lapband in Sept but got pregnant so having it in march instead. Can't wait!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    its completely different Borealis

the lapband is 100% reversable and they do not cut any part of u away.

the sleeve they cut away about 70% of your stoach including the gland that tells the brain your hungry. the opening to your stomach is not altered, where as with the band it especially makes the opening to your stomach very very small. your best bet is to google and read as much as u can if by chance u are thinking of changing your mind

Loving5 - ive been told i need to have 70g of protien with every meal, im wondering if this will leave room for much else? i love my vegies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    iMicsha - I found for the first few weeks/months it was hard to eat a lot of veg but I always had some. Now I can eat a fair bit. Tonight I just had roast pumpkin for dinner. I was going to make into a soup but was to lazy. I now 9 mths out eat just like a normal person would and have done for months.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Veggie protein w/ lapband...
    silken tofu (firm gets stuck for me), burgers made with chickpeas or lentils or beans (in a food processor).. these are a staple for me when I am at high restriction, baked beans (those tiny kid's tins are great - go for the salt reduced), veggie sausages and all of those products you can get from the supermarket are very band friendly, lentil dahl, refried beans etc. yummmmo!

And hellllooo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (10-04-2011)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    imischa - big tip for you .... get yourself some benefibre and start taking it every day! It's hard to get the veggies in if you eat that much protein, and it um.. can take its toll
    which is why veggie proteins are so good, too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Is sleeve the same as lapband? I was scheduled for having lapband in Sept but got pregnant so having it in march instead. Can't wait!!!

iMischa did a great job of describing the op. With the sleeve you can eat anything with things getting stuck or having the problem with bread and red meat that you can get with the band. It is also a set and forget op (in the sense that there is no fills, etc) once you had it there is no ongoing maintenance. You can't cheat by eating slowly or washing things through the pouch etc. If you eat too much it comes straight back.
    My surgeon's (his patients) figures, are that the sleeve has better rates of loss. With the band hos patent loss on average 60% of the overweightness and 70 with the sleeve. He prefers the sleeve for patents over 150 kgs.
    The sleeve is not reversible. Once it done it done. Where with the band it can be removed.

if you want more info on the sleeve look here
    http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/

I can only comment on the sleeve as that is what I have had. Hopefully some one with the band will post and tell us all the great thing about the band.