+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New mum in Gladstone, QLD

Hi there!

I am quite new in Gladstone and in fact quite new in Oz altogether.. we moved here few weeks ago from UK due to my hubby's job. We have a 14 month old girl Libby and I'm somewhere in the first trimester with baby No2 although due to all the moves and buzz I haven't seen any doctors yet.

I would like to meet some people in the area and also get some tips on playgroups or toddler activities and also on doctors (will have to see one rather sooner then later).

Apart from having a little girl we also have a big dog Miles (english pointer) who is keen on long walks so if there are any dogwalkers in the area who could give me some tips on where is good to take dog and buggy, that would be also very appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Thanks

Maya

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tomorrow at the marina is national playgroup day head down & check it out in the morning

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kk88 For This Useful Post:

Maya the Cat  (24-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Maya,
    Welcome to Gladstone! I'm thinking of putting the word out around bubhub to see if there are mums who want to start a low key 'mothers group' type thing.
    A friend and myself have been trying to talk ourselves into going along to a playgroup but we just can't seem to make ourselves go. If I'm honest, i'm intimidated and worried about how my son will go, as he's never really played with more than 1 or 2 other kids at a time. I don't know why i think it will be easier to do it this way, perhaps because we will all be new. Not just me

I see doctor Sally De La Cruz at Gladstone Valley Medical Centre. She's lovely and seems to genuinely like children she says 'ahhh, how's my baby' every time we go in

There a dog park thing... I think it's in West Gladstone, maybe? I'm thinking that if you turn at the night owl centre (right if you're northbound) and drive all the way to the end of that steer (Park or Palm or something) somewhere around there I remember seeing what I thought was a dog park. Sorry, I've only lived here since November myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello!
    That mum's group from Gladstone mums on Bub Hub sounds great! Would be great to get together somewhere!! I haven't had a chance to go to playgroup yet, although I would like to as in UK we used to go to nursery rhymes group and under ones group...it's been too much of a rollercoaster yet though and I haven't got myself any organized.

Thank you for the doctor tip, I'm planning on going to Valley Medical centre next week as that is a second doctor that I have seen recommended from there so I'll see if they accept me and Libby to one of them. At least I have managed to sort out our medical cards this week!

I have seen the dog training area but haven't gone there yet, just not sure if it's right kind of thing for us... Miles, our dog, has not done much agility stuff and I'm not sure how much into it he would be.. he is more of a running dog and covers quite a distance when we go for a walks running back and forth.. and the other thing is that is usually just me and a buggy when I go for a walks so I would not have a chance to lead him on the agility training stuff.. but it got us interested and when we have a chance to go there together with hubby so that he could do the dog handling, it would be nice change... In the mean time I have been taking him every other day to Canoe Point to Tannum Sands.. not as close as I would prefer, but it's nice there, reasonably accessible with a buggy and I don't need to worry as much about what he finds and chews (very worried about frogs as he is an inquisitive bugger!). Wouldn't mind finding something a bit closer though...

anyway, thanks for the reply, if you fancy getting in touch or meet up somewhere I'm on 0487760646, at the moment I don't have a second car just for my use but can get around in my hubby's work car, mostly after lunchtime...

Take care
    Maya

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Maya,
    Thanks for your number, I saved you into my phone... I plan to txt you in the morning so you have mine perhaps sometime next week (except for wednesday) we should meet up? You suggest the time and place (so that we know it will be when you are 'mobile')
    I'm thinking of just starting a thread about a GladstoneHubbers gathering. What do you think? Of course, my friend, who is 50% responsible for the idea is currently out of the country, so maybe I will wait til she gets back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My phone is playing up! I wasn't finished before

So how far along are you? You said first trimester, so you're probably still feeling a bit queasy and exhausted! How are you finding it with a 14 month old?
    It was different the second time around for me. Worse and better all at the same time, and I definitely didn't have as much time to feel sorry for myself. Everyone kept remarking at how well the pregnancy was treating me, and I just felt like replying by chucking on their shoes
    Also, when preg with my first, I was so careful about lifting heavy things at the end, with my second, I was hauling my 13kg stroller in and out of my hatchback, and my 12kg toddler all over the place. Funny how things change

My name is Michelle, I've got a 2 and a 1/4 year old boy, Vaughn, and a 6month old girl, Cadence.
    We moved here because hubby got a job driving coal trains. I'm liking it here, but I admit that I'm a bit of a city girl, and miss the Gold Coast, where I was living before here (also, my mum and dad are there).

Well that's about enough for 1.30am. I'm going to enjoy my 5 hours of sleep, before bein torn away from sleep at dawn and regretting this nocturnal activity. With my luck, dd will decide she needs a 3am snack tonight.

Take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Michelle!
    I have a command of our car whole day tomorrow so if you wanted I could be anywhere anytime although afternoon still works a bit better for us... on Thursday I'm going to see the doc you suggested in the Valley Med centre so if you are busy tomorrow, then mabye on Friday.. I don't quite know where is good to meet up though, have seen quite a bit of the town by now but don't have much of a feel for good meet up places yet. Last week I had a lunch in the Auckland look-out cafe and that is lovely spot, just Libby decided that on that peticular lunch she won't be any help at all and was misserable and moany all the time while there, so you never know how is it going to turn out... Maybe you would be better to pick a place to meet up. If you have a chance, send me a text or call me tomorrow and we can take it from there.. would be lovely to meet you!

Otherwise the gathering of Gladstone Hubbers sounds great, would you have any place in mind where would people be able to get together? If we were back in UK I would love to suggest to come to ours and if it took of, maybe meeting in different house every time.. but as we are at the moment, we are still in between moves, living from bags and not really able to have people around in the place where we are... but mabye in the future when we sort the house out and get settled!

About my pregnancy.. well by my calculations, which might be wrong, I am actually nearing the end of the trimester, being somewhere like 11 weeks.. still due to see the doctor, which is not ideal, but at least it's booked. I'm finding it quite ok so far, I didn't have much morning sickness with my first and this time is not that different. Maybe it's also because of the distraction that Libby provides. Considering myself lucky that I'm not suffering that much...

Anyway.. if you get a chance, get in touch. Take care M.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls! Not too sure if you will get this as it looks like your posts were a good few months ago! I am moving to Gladstone within the next 3 weeks through my husbands job. Also from the UK originally so don't know anyone up there, have a 18 month old little boy and number 2 is due in January. Excited about the change but also nervous about not having any friends. Just wondering how you are getting on Maya, and if you have any advice. Very keen to start building a social life for both myself and the little guy, so would love to hear about play groups, etc. Also don't have a clue about hospitals/maternity care etc. so any info would be greatly appreciated! Hope to hear from you soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi HazeP, Just wondering how you went with your move to Gladstone? I have been here for a while but I remember what it was like moving somewhere new. If you are interested in a playgroup I go to one called playlink at Shed 19 on Dalrymple drive. We have a few mums from overseas - Ireland, USA and New Zealand. Let me know if you would like more info. I have 3 kids aged 5, 3 and 5 months all of whom have been born in Gladstone so if you want to chat about hospitals etc let me know. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey! Thanks for getting back to me Keg! Thats us all moved in now, and thankfully it was a nice smooth, stress free experience! Can't believe how lovely and friendly everyone is up here. Its only been a few weeks since we have moved and I have already met a few nice mummy's just by taking my wee guy to the local park. Definitely keen to start a playgroup, think we might have to be patient though as they all seem to close for holidays. Would love the details for the one you go to, haven't been recommended one yet and would like to get started after the new year!

Got my first midwife appointment today at the Gladstone hospital, so hopefully that goes well. Only have 8 weeks until I'm due, so not long!! Where did you move from?? How long have you been here??