+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding with Formula top ups

Hi There,
    I have a 15 week old daughter who i have been breast feeding, just lately her weight gain has dropped off, she has only put on 100g since 27/1/11. I have since seen and spoken with a Lactation consultant who has told me to give her formula top ups of 50ml thru a syringe after each feed. I was told to use syringe so she doesnt get used to having a bottle and getting food easier. I have also been expressing (but getting nothing) after each feed, expressing and feeding every 2 hours when she is awake and taking Domperidone to try to increase my supply. It is such hard work and so draining, i want to know if anyone else has had to do this and if it has worked for them? Also should i try fenugreek at this time as well?
    I welcome any advice.
    Thanks

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is an excellent book and website; The mother's guide to making more milk.

You can read a lot of it on line.

Have you thought about using a supply line rather than a syringe? Medela make them - they are fiddly to use but mean your nipples will get more stimulation.

On the whole babies require the same amount of milk from one month onwards until weaning, about 750ml a day, it doesn't just go up and up. So a breastfed baby's weight will often plateau from 4 to 10 months.

Remember that adults get fat from snacking and so do babies. More frequent feeds may be helpful. If you have small capacity, rather than low supply, it's the only thing that will help. I have small capacity, could never express more than 60ml per feed, [when expressing at work], so it meant I had to feed frequently, still 12 times a day for most of her first year. You breasts continuously make milk and the emptier they are the faster they make milk and the more calories that milk has, so don't leave big gaps between feeds.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DD is 13 weeks and we are doing similar strategies to help her gain more weight as she has fallen from around the 60th percentile to around the 5th percentile. The theory is that she is tiring at the breast (she has been a perma-feeder since birth) and not consuming enough calories. So I've been working hard at upping my supply so she gets a big gush of milk when she feeds. I have been:

- taking Domperidon. How much are you taking? I'm using motilium and the doctor only prescribed 1 tablet 3 times a day but I've been a bit naughty and upped the dose to 3 tablets 3 times a day which worked a treat. That was only for 1 day though and I've now gone back to 2 tablets 3 times a day and will be going back down to 1 tablet 3 times a day soon. I have read the book SPC linked too and the dose they suggest in there is greater than what the doc prescribed me.
    - lots of water
    - eating lactation boosting cookies - it's tough but I'm willing to make this sacrifice for my DD
    - expressing between feeds. This is really tough. I do a big express in the morning when she's still asleep and I save it for the witching hour in the evening. It works a treat! It's also helping to stretch her tummy so hopefully she will have bigger feeds but longer breaks in between - I think this is working too.
    - DD has 100% access to my boobs at any time, I still put her on at every squeak.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 4wks old and I'm having tremendous trouble with breast feeding her. I feed her on demand but she still screams for more, and she won't settle or sleep. So we have been topping her up with formula. The other day she only slept for 3hrs max between 8am-10pm. I'm so exhausted and have been taking fenugreek but I don't think it's working for me. I'm finding it so tiring/hard as iv also got a 3yo and 6yo too. I didn't think breast feeding would be so hard mentally/emotionally as well. I'm worried that il have to give up beast feeding and put her on formula 24/7

Thanks
    Reviews
    you poor thing, you sound so tired.

does bub take one or both sides when she feeds?

how are her nappies, and weight gain?

i am wondering if it is a breastfeeding issue, or if bub is just a higher needs baby who is having trouble settling.

My DD was like this, diagnosed with colic, but was 'high needs' for much longer than the colic lasted.

If it is a breastfeeding (supply) issue, feeding bub from the right side, then left, then offering the right again will allow bub to get more milk and stimulate supply.

Do you have a baby carrier? these can really help to settle bub, especially if you have other kids that you need to look after and entertain.

DO you have someone who can look after your older kids for a day or two so you can just spend the day in bed with baby, sleeping and feeding?

Do you have a good MCHN or LC who can have a look at baby feeding to see if there are any issues?

The ABA may be able to give you some advice too 1800 686 2 686.

take care

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It is completely normal for newborns to perma-feed. My DD hardly slept at all during the day as a newborn (and not much at night either), the worst day was when she only slept for 1 x 10 min and 1 x 20 min sleep the entire day. The rest of the day she would have been breastfeeding, I kid you not. DS was 3.5 at teh time and he watched a lot of ABC2. I learnt how to feed lying down so I could lie in bed at watch TV or read whilst feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been in the same boat as you (still am) and PP have already given you great advice.

To add to the list, my lactation consultant suggested the following to help boost supply naturally:- eating oats, protein (foods or protein bars), flaxseed meal, brewers yeast.

The cookies mentioned are delicious, but full of calories so you can always add the flaxseed and brewers yeast to other things like smoothies (or any type of baking really).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had real troubles with breastfeeding for the first couple of months - had to top up with formula, feed it through a syringe for the first little while. I also expressed at least 3 times a day so I had enough of a feed at about 7pm as by then my boobs just never seemed to have anything much (but by 10pm it was fine).

My LC (free through my MCH centre) was so helpful - even just for confidence - and so was fenugreek. It made a huge difference for me (but warning (TMI), I sweated it out like when you have way to much garlic). Worth a try, but probably worth speaking with a LC first. If you're not sure about the advice you got from the LC that you saw, is it an option to see another? This website may help http://www.lactation.org.au/consultants

Good luck