+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Exclamation 7-8 seater car under 20K

Hello

My car got written off this morning when a woman in a 4WD went through a stop sign straight into my car. Dh was driving. Luckily the kids were fine.

So I now have 4 kids and no car, incl 3 under 3.

Need to get a 7-8 seater car ASAP. With the insurance money, I should have about 20K but prefer to be under that as far as poss.

I have never looked into cars this big so no idea where to start. Please help! I have no clue at all? I am thinking a second hand people mover but no idea how cheap I can go whilst still being reliable, what model, make, etc.

I need 3 babyseats to be easily accessible.

Thanks!!!

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh you poor thing!!! What a nightmare!!!!!!!

We had to get a 7 seater when Ollie was born and that was roughly our budget too.

Ok, bad news there is a not a lot on offer- these are your options:

Kia Carnival. You can pick up an older one for around the $11000- $16000 mark. I wouldn't buy one because I didn't really trust a 4 wheel drive around that price but that's just me I honetsly don't know much about cars, my husband had no issue with them.

I would have preferred a Grande Carnival but they are just out of the price range- $22000-$25000. (Obviously I'm talking used!!!!!)

Hyundai Trajet- $16000- $20000. Ours was $20000 and it's a 2007.

My husbands just thrown out there for you a used Ford Territory (we never found one under that price range though) or a Mazda MPV or a Honda Odyssey.

I was picky about the kilometres though i wouldn't buy one with more than 100 000 that's what my Dh is telling me to tell you in other words I'm picky there are more cars out there I just wouldn't look at them.

Hun, hope you find somehting quick!!! Have a you a friend with a bit more knowlege who could go with you????????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would do a search on a few of the car websites such as carsales... I quickly typed in Toyota Kluger, which is what I would buy and found one for $17000 2003 model but I guess what is available depends on the area you live in. I know someone recently had a thread on 4 wheel drive which had a link to some websites that listed all the 7 seater cars and such. We have a Toyota Landcruiser which I love for when we go away but don't like as much when driving in the city for parking.

So glad you, the hubby and the kids are all okay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    THanks everyone so far! I am on ebay looking up all these examples so I can get an idea on price and appearance etc.

I am not really that keen on 4WD as I imagine them to chew more petrol, etc. I don't really need 4WD? Nobody has mentioned tarago are they out of popularity now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Nietzsche View Post
    THanks everyone so far! I am on ebay looking up all these examples so I can get an idea on price and appearance etc.

I am not really that keen on 4WD as I imagine them to chew more petrol, etc. I don't really need 4WD? Nobody has mentioned tarago are they out of popularity now?
    Taragos are great, but they really hold their value, so you'd be looking at quite an older model.
    Have you thought about looking for something with Diesel?

Thanks
    Reviews
    no... the car i had now (commodore) ran on LPG so if anything I thought i'd get a conversion to lpg at some point. On the downside it just took up so much bootspace so not sure on that one. However a friend said that with a 4WD you can put the gas cannister under the chassis so maybe that's an option... But that seems to be getting too complicated!

I guess I want an economical, reliable 7-8 seater, I don't want to guzzle petrol more than I have to. what woudl the diesel optinos be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Nietzsche View Post
    no... the car i had now (commodore) ran on LPG so if anything I thought i'd get a conversion to lpg at some point. On the downside it just took up so much bootspace so not sure on that one. However a friend said that with a 4WD you can put the gas cannister under the chassis so maybe that's an option... But that seems to be getting too complicated!

I guess I want an economical, reliable 7-8 seater, I don't want to guzzle petrol more than I have to. what woudl the diesel optinos be?

I've just PM'd you a few links.
    You could look at an older toyota landcruiser a mitsibishi pajero, nissan patrol, or a ssangyong.
    Do an advanced search on carsales. You can really narrow it down.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Mrs Nietzsche  (19-03-2011)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ford is about to launch a new Territory model; even brand new current model stock is being run out at ridiculous prices, so second hand stock is bound to be great value right now.

Good luck, what a stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just got a 2000 Nissan patrol it's a diesel and gas and had 178000 on the clock which is really good for a diesel and we paid $18000 for it. Oh and it's a 7 seater

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Diesel's are awesome. So much torque and VERY economical. Currently my 08 Peugeot station wagon (a 2litre 4 cylinder) has done over 800kms to the tank driving around town and still have 200kms out of the tank to go. It's averaging 5.5L/100kms!
    We can also get to Sydney on one tank and that's going through the hills.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmi For This Useful Post:

Mrs Nietzsche  (19-03-2011)