+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gold Coast Hospital

I just want to get some opinions on the Gold Coast Hospital (not the birth centre unfortunately ) for anyone that has had a baby there. I've been through older threads and google searched etc but most of the threads are a few years old.

If you had your bub there what was your experience like? Did you go to the ante-natal classes they have? I am booked in to go to the full-day class tomorrow and don't know what to expect.

I'm 31 weeks so I don't really have much choice of anywhere else (I don't think?). I've only had one midwife appointment there so I haven't exactly dealt with them and then one OB app (which I waited 2 hrs for a 10 min app lol).

And then I read so much good stuff about the Tweed hospital and think aww I wish I had've picked there (I just assumed I had to go to GCH).

Please tell me your experience good or bad!

ALSO - I am having my next Midwife app at the hospital at 36 weeks in April, do I see the midwife after this as well? I read it's every week from then until delivery but is that midwife or Dr? I've been seeing my Dr for all my check-ups (except my 1 midwife app at 22 wks).

Thanks
    Last edited by KassMeow; 18-03-2011 at 08:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I birthed my second DD at the GC hospital. Sucessful VBAC too!
    I was lucky though, one of my closest friends is a midwife there and was working the night I went into labour.
    The ward I ended up in wasn't that great. Just some very um interesting characters! But I needed help with breastfeeding so I insisted on staying.
    This time though if I'm not comfortable in the ward, I'll go home and call on the private LC I ended up using last time because I found the ones at the hospital too busy to give me the attention I really wanted. Nothing was going to stop me feeding last time so I really wanted that one on one help which they just werent able to give for very long.
    My experience wasn't bad by any means but I did find it all very impersonal on the ward.
    This time though I don't think that will bother me because I won't have the pressure I had on myself to succeed like last time, ie VBAC and Breastfeeding.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi kassmeow, I am having my bb at Goldcoast hospital in April. Week35 now so a little bit ahead of u.. Will let u know then.

By now, u would hv attended the antenatal class and I believe u have some of your questions answered already.

The birthing room looks pretty good eh?

If u r low risk, then u will c midwife for 36 weeks, that's when u discuss the birth plan and stuff. I am seeing midwife next week for my week36 appointment!

U said u hv been seeing your dr? Is that a gp or is that the dr at the hospital?

U dun need to c the dr at gch unless u hv gastation diebeties or if u r high risk, requiring caesarean..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey.
    Where do you live?

Why can't you go to tweed?
    Ring the maternity ward there & tell them your story.

I LOVE tweed.
    I had my son there (he 18 months)
    & I'm having my 2nd there (I'm 21 weeks)

I would ring & ask wouldn't Hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    somanygirls - Thanks for your experience I can imagine in most large hospitals it could be a bit impersonal. I hate hospitals in general and never feel good about going to them. I get upset easily (even not pregnant) so I can imagine any mean MW or staff are going to make me break down crying lol. I'm glad your experience wasn't bad as such though. How much is a private LC?

del79 - Awesome, I would love to know how it goes for you! I didn't actually attend the antenatal class on the weekend… we'll I went there and apparently we were sent out a letter re-scheduling for another day (a letter which I never got ) so that was a big waste of time, and apparently the re-scheduled day is a Tuesday and I work full-time so I might not be making it at all unless they change it back to a Sat. Oh good, I'm glad the 36 week appointment discusses the birth plan and all that (not that I've written it yet lol)… I wasn't sure how much they cover. Let me know how your app goes! And sorry by Dr I meant GP

Soonmumof2 - Hey I love in Upper Coomera so about a 30-40 drive on a normal day from Tweed. I talked to my DP about it and he was worried about if I went there and we had to go to the hospital in peak traffic. That would be the only real issue I'd say. One of my sisters had her son there and said it was really good, my other sister had her 4 boys at GCH and doesn't have many complains (but then again we are fairly different so things that wouldn't bother her would probably bother me). But you're might, I might give them a call and just see

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that be hard.

Call the maternity ward, they are really nice & will help you choose.

Good luck with bubba!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey kassmeow,
    I was wondering actually that the antenatal class shouldn't b on that sat that u were supposed to go actually... Because I was there in the same room where there conduct the antenatal class for the breastfeeding class that same sat...

U should definitely go for the antenatal. I attended it two weeks ago.. It was great and there was a tour of the delivery room and the ward. If this is your first child, definitely Ty to go for it. I found it helpful because I dint receive any info from the gp about birth and stuff prior to the antenatal class. Moreover,, it's the midwives at gch who will b delivering my baby, it was good for me to see them and find out their thoughts on pain reliefs and some of their policies.

V reassuring and I definitely felt more informed....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kassmeow, I live in upper coomera too. Will definitely not drive all the way to tweed!
    If it so happen that tweed hasn't got enough delivery wards on the day u turned up, They will send u back to gch by ambulance..

The other nearer hospital is logan and I heard that's the worst anyway.. Gch lOoks pretty alright to me after the tour of the ward I had.. U could call the hospital for a tour, I believe.. And in ur next appointment, just ask the midwives all the questions.. ( if u r skipping the antenatal class)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey del79 - the class I'm actually going to is a birth and parenting class (I didn't know what to call it lol)...
    On the letter I have it says it includes:
    When to come to hospital
    Strategies for labour and birth
    Dealing with pain, unexpected events of labour
    How husband/partner can help
    Tour of GCH delivery suit and postnatal ward
    Feeding and helping baby sleep in early weeks
    Recognising your baby's communication
    Dealing with changes in family relationships
    Resources in the community to help you

So yeah it covers a bit of stuff. What do the ante-natal classes cover? This one is also run by the midwives. And I'm the same as you my GP has told me nothing. If it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't have found out all the info I have (even though I know lots of ppl with babies). The lady that organises these classes called me up yesterday and re-booked me for this Saturday so I'll definitely be going again and I know it won't be cancelled this time!!

And good to hear about the Tweed hospital.. I guess it would be a bit silly to go so far, I mean I have no idea how I'm going to cope so I think GCH is the way to go!

Also when you went to the ante-natal classes did they say how you can give birth? Like you are allowed to be upright and move around and all that aren't you? I've read too much helpful things about being active and then birthing upright or on all fours to be confined to a bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kassmeow, the birth and parenting is the same one I attended. During the class, u can sign up for breathing and breastfeeding too. Sat class combines 3 sessions into a single day.

Yah they will tell u that active birth is better and u should move around. When u go for the ward visit, u will c that they have gym ball and chair for u to use during the birth.

They might demo baby's first bath with a live baby. They did durin my class.

There is a first time for everything.. I am counting down to the actual edd when I finally get to experience all these birthing process and see my baby.

Do u go to gp in upper coomera? Which one? Gp around here sucks! I switched a few and finally settled on one for my antenatal care..