+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Stumbleine you poor thing, don't be so hard on yourself, we should be able to trust the doctors and nurses that care for us and our children.
    I am so glad your little one is fine now, how scary it must have been for you and your DH. Big you did do the right thing by monitoring your child and getting the medical staff to keep looking at your DD which did result in her getting the blood transfusion she needed. Chin up, you have a beautiful and healthy 9 month because you DID look out for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Stumbleine

What an awful frightening time for you. I agree with the PP. You DID look out for your DD. You questioned it, the Nurse told you it was on her chart. This was their mistake, not yours. You got her help every time she needed it, and you being there with her saved her life.

I hope you can forgive yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for the replies Twin and Cali. It took me most of the day to calm down and stop crying at the drop of a hat but ive put the thoughts and emotions away again where they belong. I called DH and had a cry while DD was napping.

I know this is how I should see it and think of it but its so hard sometimes.

I think parents are their own worst critics sometimes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stumbleine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    I know this is how I should see it and think of it but its so hard sometimes.

I think parents are their own worst critics sometimes.
    We sure are. I also think it's "natural" to blame ourselves. Even with situations out of our control. Plus, with medical stuff, we trust that the professionals know what they are doing. But they are also human and can make mistakes. Though the assistant surgeon asking you not to say anything to the Prof was pretty poor in my opinion. When someones life is endangered by a mistake like that, there should be some sort of investigation as otherwise how can things be changed so that it doesn't happen again?

I really do hope that you can forgive yourself one day. You trusted the professionals and you did everything you possibly could. Though I must admit that if I was in your shoes, I would probably blame myself and wonder "what if I'd ....." as well. Like I said, we parents are great at blaming ourselves.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

laurea  (24-02-2012)

3'llhavetodo is offline Before we as mothers can look after our loved ones we must first look after ourselves
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    I know this is an old thread but since it has been bumped I have to contributed to it. This is going to be a long one but ive been holding it in for so long. This is my most shameful secret as a mother of 9 months.

I hold a lot of guilt and shame over DDs surgery she had at 4 months old. We found a hard lump in the middle of her palate one day and took her to the GP. He sent us to a Paediatric Surgeon who then sent us to the Craniofacial Professor David David here in Adelaide.

We went and saw him and he confirmed she would need surgery to remove it, because he didnt know what it was but thought it may be a cyst and it was growing consistently. I cried so much that my little baby needed surgery and she would have to go under etc etc... but everyone assured me it would be a simple surgery and she would be in and out and it would be like nothing had happened to her. The professor said it was no big deal and it would be a 15 minute surgery and she would likely be home that night.

Fast forward to the day of her surgery we arrived early and DD had been fasting from the booby since 3am that day. She was supposed to go in first but something changed with the surgery line up and she didnt end up going in till around 11am for surgery. So she was hungry etc by that stage.

I didnt cry or anything until they took her away from me and then I broke down and cried so much and my poor DH was so scared as well.

We went back to the ward and waited for her surgery to be over and she was brought back to us obviously hysterical from the anesthesia etc. I just held her and tried to get her to calm down and nap and tried a few times to get her to feed but she wouldnt. A nurse came in and gave her Ibuprofen as a pain killer. At the time I thought to myself, is that OK because they told us no Ibuprofen for 2 weeks before the surgery, and I asked and she said it was written up in her charts as approved relief so I let it go.

I took my shirt off and she fell asleep on my chest. She woke up about an hour later and I had blood all over my chest DH and I freaked out and called the nurse in and she checked her wound and it was still bleeding. They then got the assistant surgeon to the professor in to look and he explained they didnt stitch or cauterize the wound because they never need to with oral surgery, as it clots and heals so quickly.

He just said the bleeding would settle down and to keep doing what we were doing. I told him about the Ibuprofen and he got really angry and said that was bad and not to tell the professor because someone would lose their job over it.

DD took some milk in about an hour later and had another nap. My sister then came in to visit and she was holding her as she was crying and walking her around. She fell asleep and my sister went to put her down in the cot and blood poured out of her mouth onto the pillow. I called out for the nurse who then got the resident doctor in who checked and suctioned some of the blood out and told us once again that it was normal and she will bleed for a while.

Fast forward 7 hours of watching my husband hold our daughter with her blood all over him with her crying non stop on a drip for fluids as she wasnt drinking and still bleeding. The nurses would come and go and not really do much for her. I knew something was so wrong at this point but I didnt demand they get the professor back I just trusted that they knew what they were doing and that they had my daughters health in their best interests.

My husband was holding her and she vomited blood all over him and I screamed for the nurse as she went pale and limp in his arms. She didnt look like my daughter at all.

They called the professor finally and he demanded that his assisting surgeon come in and fix the bleeding. She was rushed in for emergency surgery and we were so scared at this point. We were waiting in the ward, obviously a mess and we heard the nurse talking over the phone about emergency blood transfusions etc. An hour later we were taken to see our daughter and we were told she needed to go to the PICU as she had lost so much blood that she wouldnt make it through the night without an emergency blood transfusion.

She eventually got better and she is perfectly fine now but I hold so much guilt and shame over letting the nurse give her the ibuprofen which the hospital did an investigation into and they consider this the cause of the bleeding. I hold so much guilt and shame for not voicing my concerns to the nurses and doctors that something was wrong with my baby. I knew in my heart that it was wrong but I just trusted them. Its my job to protect my baby girl and I feel like I failed her in this moment. I know its not the same sort of thing that others have posted in here but its mine.

I am a complete mess right now so I better stop typing
    Please edit this to start with:- DD is fine, I cried so hard reading this I almost vomited.
    All I can say is good on you for insisting something was worng and trusting your mothers instinct.
    Last edited by 3'llhavetodo; 22-10-2011 at 00:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3'llhavetodo View Post
    Please edit this to start with:- DS is fine, I cried so hard reading this I almost vomited.
    All I can say is good on you for insisting something was worng and trusting your mothers instinct.
    She is talking about her dd

how scary. You are not to blame I'm glad it's ok now I hope you find some peace

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3'llhavetodo View Post
    Please edit this to start with:- DD is fine, I cried so hard reading this I almost vomited.
    Sorry I have edited my post. I left out most of the detail later on in what happened because I knew it would upset a lot of people but its a very upsetting topic I know I haven't been able to sleep since 1am because I brought up all the emotions and thoughts again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stumbliene great big hugs Hun I know exactly how you feel. My son had reconstructive surgery on his privates at 9 months old. Two days later I knew something wasn't right so I called up and took him back in to see the registrar who assisted the surgery. He took some of the dressings off and said it was fine ah blah blah. Two days later at home he vommited everywhere and then went limp. He was completely unresponsive for over 8 minuets. Scariest Time of my life. We were transferred from our local hospital back to the royal children's and places on a drip of iv anti biotics. The register came down and still said it wasn't infected and it must of been something else. We stayed the night up on the ward on iv antibiotics As the professor who was in charge of the surgery wanted to see us. After a night of iv antibiotics he looked heaps better and I thought the surgeon was going to think I was over reacting, but the surgeon took one look and was horrified. We spent anther week in there and he Had to have more surgery a few months later because of the way it healed with the infection.
    Anyway I just wanted to share with you because like you I trusted the so called doctor even though i knew something wasnt right with my little boy. Dont beat yourself up about it though because it's not your fault. What Happened to your DD sounds terrifying and you have to question how both the nurses and doctors failed to pick up how sick she was. I'm glad she is well now. Lots of lover you both

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh stumblebeine and The fox, what horrible experiences to have been through.
    Stumble was any action taken against the hospital for what happened?

I think you both did well in advocating for your children and then the hospitals screwed you over. Neither of you should blam yourselves because you were questioning things, and you had your babies getting help there.

To watch a child vomit blood Stumble, and a child be unresponsive The fox, I can't even imagine it . I am glad your babies got through this and have such strong Mums to be there for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    Stumbliene great big hugs Hun I know exactly how you feel.
    So sorry you had to go through this as well The Fox. It has certainly altered the amount of trust I put in those in the medical profession - especially with my children s lives. If anything the experience has taught me to be more assertive when I have a gut feeling on something. Its interesting to see you had almost an identical experience with the assisting surgeon and had to wait for the big boss to finally get any action. So wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    Stumble was any action taken against the hospital for what happened?
    The next morning Tiny several people from the hospital came to see us in PICU to apologise for what happened and told us that it should never have gotten to the point where she was bleeding for 9 hours etcetc... We had a follow up meeting with the Professor about it all and we found out the hospital was doing an investigation without it being requested. After a few meetings etc we received a letter to say that the hospital has new protocols in place so that patients of craniofacial surgery are not given ibuprofen following surgery. During the meetings it was suggested and we were almost 'urged' to seek legal advise but we haven't done that yet. We aren't really the sue happy type but my mind changes on this with the wind because I suppose I cant trust them to ensure this doesn't happen to someone elses child. I think we will just let it go though as its going to be a whole lot more stress.