+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Wollongong and confused

Hi,

I will be moving from Lismore to Wollongong in my 30th week of pregnancy (3 weeks away).

I just called the antenatal clinic at Wollongong Hospital and she said I can't 'book in' over the phone. I have to go the the admissions desk, fill in some paper work, then go up and see them. They will then make an appointment for me, which usually takes a month. Because I am still in Lismore I can't do this until I move down.

I was pretty shocked at this. Who am I meant to see during that month for my antenatal care??? This means I may not see a midwife at the hospital until I'm 34 weeks. I'm scared I'll miss out on prenatal classes too as they only run them every 5 weeks. This is my first baby and I am extremely anxious that everything is being left to the last minute.

I am currently getting shared care with a GP in Lismore. I have not 'booked in' to any hospitals because I knew I would be moving, so have not seen any midwives etc. I don't even know what a birthing suite or maternity ward looks like.

Freaking out....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I went through Wollongong hospital, though it was 3 years ago now that I booked in.

I "booked in" on the day that I had my first appointment, e.g. I rang and made an appointment and they said I had to go to administration and fill in paperwork before heading upstairs for my appointment.

The first time I was pg I was doing shared care with my GP in a medical centre down here, so maybe that could be an option for you in the first little while?

Also, another member posted this in the Illawarra section of the forum, it may help:
    Independent birth classes are going to be run at the WEA starting from Tuesday 10 May at 7.45pm running for 8 weeks. Each session is 1.5 hours long.

Topics being covered include:
    Quote:
    Natural birth - Gain understanding to support your birthing potential
    All about birth - Labour, birth and what to expect.
    Labour pain Understand pain dynamics and how to prepare for them
    Supporting your partner Practical, positive labour support strategies
    Breastfeeding Getting the right start with confidence
    Sleeping like a baby Gentle strategies for adjusting to life with a newborn
    Homebirth/Water Birth
    Accurate information for you to consider homebirth/water birth.
    VBAC - Vaginal birth after caesarean Accurate information to help you plan a positive birth after caesarean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI, i just moved from Wollongong in january. If you ring up just tell them you need to book an appointment and do like the previous poster said and go to admissions before your appointment. If that doesn't work ring a GP in the area and get your doctor to transfer you to them and hopefully you can get an appointment through the GP organising it.

If all else fails ring the hospital admissions office and explain the situation asking to get the paperwork sorted so you can book in to the hospital clinic. Tell them you'll pop in before your appointment to finalise all the paperwork and sign anything you need to.

On another note if you need a good GP, i used to go to Lakeside medical center in Warilla. They are really really friendly and have a great shared care practice there as well. theiir number is 02 42977170 Dr Murray is great as is the midwife who looks after the shared care practice her name is Debbie.

Best of luck i hope you get things sorted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure you're stressed - but don't worry it'll all work out! As one of the others said - you can phone and make your appointment - then book in on the day of your first appointment (you do that downstairs and it takes about 1/2 an hour).
    Also, "Birth Bubs and Beyond" do private and small group birth education classes (max 5 couples) on both weeknights and weekends. Google them. It is run by two midwives who also work at Wollongong hospital.
    Lastly, I teach prenatal yoga (and I'm a doula as well). If you are still freaking out or would like to meet some other expecting mums b/c you're new to the area come to a couple of classes. We do lots of yoga postures for strength, flexibility, as well as breathing techniques and pain management strategies for the labour. The studio name is Younga Yoga Studio.
    Lastly, I did shared care with a GP at Wollongong Medical Centre with Saralaine Johnston. It's at the bottom of Crown St at the top of the Mall near Commonwealth Bank. You can go in and ask to see her, but you don't need an appointment. She is lovely.
    Good luck with the move. It'll all work out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your help everyone.

I ended up calling the admissions desk and the guy was quite friendly and willing to help. Because I was born in Wollongong hospital and went to casualty there before I moved out of the area 5 years ago he found I already had 'a number'. The girls in the antenatal clinic were then able to book me an appointment at the end of April, but they said they don't normally do this over the phone, blah blah blah.

I wish I could name and shame the first girl I spoke to. She was so blunt and unwilling to help out. I hope I don't come across her when I'm in labour!!!

So after countless calls to the hospital and many tears of frustration I'm feeling a little more sorted

chibiyogini - I'm planning on going to Kailash Yoga in Woonona for classes as I know the teachers there, but will keep your classes in mind too. I've been practicing yoga right throughout my pregnancy it is has been great. I am meeting with a Doula as soon as I get down there as well. If it doesn't work out between us, I'll keep you in mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mel.

I'm sorry you had such a stressful time of it all, but I'm glad everything has finally been sorted out for you. I'm also going to Wollongong Hospy and I have my first antenatal appointment there today. I can tell you what it seems like if you want, just to put your mind at ease until you get to go there yourself?

Also just in case you want more options... there is a great lot of doctors just up from the hospital on the opposite side of the road. Super convenient spot esp if you need to go to the dr and hospy on the same day, plus they have their own parking. It's called Family Medical Practice, I know other people who go there and have never heard any bad. They bulk bill and their books are still open. Dr Priti Chalissery is fantastic, friendly and thorough.

Good luck with your move. When you get down here, if you feel a bit lonely, feel free to get in touch and we can go get a coffee or something. I'm always happy to meet new people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey lil blessing don't be offended if the OP doesn't respond this thread is 3 years old 😉

I'm from the gong too that's why I thought I'd read this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha.. How funny. Thanks Amy Feeling a little silly but I'm gonna blame baby brain,

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LilBlessing For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-02-2014)