+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Surrogacy & Medicare

I am trying to find out costings of surrogacy. I have already found a lot from Queensland Fertility Group about the medical costs to do with egg retrieval and transfer and I am pretty sure none of this is covered by Medicare. What I now need to know is when the surrogate is pregnant, what is covered by Medicare during the pregnancy and birth.

QFG tell me that with the IVF stuff that there are no Medicare item codes because it is for surrogacy so I'm just concerned that this would continue through the pregnancy and the birth.

Does anyone know? I'm talking about doctor's appointments, scans and the hospital and anything else there may be. I'm hoping that because it is just a normal pregnancy after all the IVF that it will be treated as such by Medicare.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi FindingBubba2

there is a thread on here called Surrogacy Procedure this has all the info you need, lovelife has done a lot of research about it.....

good luck with your search and future

angelbabytobe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Angelbabytobe!

I have slowly found out stuff...I think when the surrogate becomes pregnant it is treated as a normal pregnancy and medicare will rebate! Yay!! It all helps :-)

Trace

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Longing2beMummy!

Welcome to Bub Hub! This is the place where I have found out most of what I know so you have come to the right place!!

It is not an exact science of what medicare will and will not cover and it seems as though their own staff don't know much about surrogacy! When I went in see had to get on the phone for half an hour and still had no real answers for me.
    So, I've had an appoinment at the Queensland Fertility Clinic in Brisbane and they are fantastic there! They said that if I have my egg retrieval it should cost approx. $3000 out of pocket ($7000ish outlay). My doctor there said they are putting things through like this and haven't come undone yet.

From my conversations with Medicare it seems as though any procedure on an infertile person is coverable ie, egg retrieval. But a procedure on a fertile person is not coverable ie, egg transfer into surrogate.

Also, I have chatted to a few surrogates in their pregnancy and as soon as they are pregnant things like scans and appointments are covered by Medicare and Private Insurance if applicable.

Hope this helps!
    Trace

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FindingBubby2 View Post
    From my conversations with Medicare it seems as though any procedure on an infertile person is coverable ie, egg retrieval. But a procedure on a fertile person is not coverable ie, egg transfer into surrogate.
    I know nothing about this, but are IVF procedures coverable for the socially infertile (lesbian couple, or single parents by choice)? If so, I cannot see why the surrogate wouldn't be deemed socially infertile in this case.

Or would a surrogate who had her tubes tied be covered because she was technically infertile? That creates an unfair disparity.

Mama24Crazies is offline The precious bundle that I proudly gave back.................. 37 weeks
    Thanks
    Reviews
    mmmm......don't get me started on medicare!!!!

Surrogates are not covered at all by medicare while seeking IVF treatment through an infertility clinic. Once the surrogate and IP's are pregnant they are free to seek treatment through which ever ******....private or public.....the team decides. This being covered under medicare where applicable.

And unfortunately no, sweetseven, it makes no difference if the surro's tubes are tied. I have my tubes snipped and am a 33 week pregnant surro, and just had to watch my IP's hand money over to the clinic, with no rebate. And in perfect contrast, two out of my four egg donations were done before my tubes were snipped and all four donations were medicare rebated.

With the way the Australian law stands, people have to be accepted under medical grounds, into the surrogacy program. They don't CHOOSE surrogacy out of many options left to them........if they could naturally carry their own babies they would.....but they can't..... because they are INFERTILE!!!!!!

Grrrr......drives me crazy!!!!

Love

Karen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi FindingBubby2,
    My name is Tracy, I am new to this site but read your post and am interested.
    Due to medical reasons I had a historectomy 5 years ago.
    My partner is 35 with no previous children, I am 44 with 3 sons to previous marriage. We have a mutual colse friend who previously donated eggs to her cusion and suggested we look into surogacy and she has offered to carry the baby. (lucky for us).
    I am interested in any info you have regarding this process and associated coasts that you have identified. Also any recomendations for clinic would be appreiciated as there is quite a few out there.
    I have had a quick look at life fertility, city fertility, eve health, fertility clinic and QLD fertility but when I asked for an idea around info and costs I get very little in responce but all are quick to tell me make an appointment (which i can received approx 50% rebate) and then they will give me quote.
    What I want is a worse case senario itemised coasting then I will get my GP referal, make further enquires and make an appointment based on all info.
    Are you able to provided any help.

Thanks in advance