+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy 1:37 Nuchal Scan

Hmmmm,
    Got a call last night from my doc to say my risk had been phoned through to the GP centre yesterday afternoon at 1:37. The doc who called didn't have the official results there, so I have no idea what my official measurement was or my bloods, but they obviously felt the need to ruin my weekend by telling me Friday evening when I couldn't do anything about it all for 2 days.

I'm just numb - not sure where the issue is - obviously my age (36) has a sway in the risk, but in my observations the NT fold wasn't measured any higher than 1.8 and there was a nasal bone present...but I'm not a sonographer.....

My OB doesn't open til Lunch on mond, and I'm going to try and push my appt forward from Thurs to Mon or Tues to see what the results say...I'm cr@pping my dacks.

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh hun, what a bloody awful thing to dump on If it helps, another member here had a risk of 1/53 last week and had the CVS and everything was pronounced perfectly nomral- her nuchal measurement was normal too and there was a nasal bone present.

The obvious thing to say is that you still have a chance of 36/37 that bubs is fine. I have had friends with risks of 1/5 and 1/7- in the first instance bubs was born completely normal.

It is a horrid thing for you to be trying to deal with on a weekend when as you said, you can do nothing about it but on Monday I would be trying to move your appointment forward to as soon as possible.

Thinking of you and have everything crossed

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFourCubs For This Useful Post:

bmsprogo  (12-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I followed Twitchs thread (we're friends IRL) and was so distressed for her, but didn't think it would happen to me too.

I personally think I would just want to find out to be prepared either way. DH on the other hand is more wary of the risks of the invasive tests. Just don't know right now - what a fun weekend this will be.

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bmsprogo For This Useful Post:

MyFourCubs  (12-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to freak out yet. It's more likely, especially with a nasal bone present, that bub is fine. We had a result of 1:20 for my son and a nuchal thickness of 3.8. I was beside myself for 2 weeks until we got back amnio results. Thank goodness he was fine. I was 40 at the time and thought for sure it would be an unwelcome result. He was just a chubby bub with rolls of fat on his neck! My next baby was then 1:240 and we nearly threw a party! Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about the result until you proceed with more tests. I'm sure you will hear lots of stories on here about scary nuchal test results that have turned out fine. From the ones I've seen, it is generally a result of 1:2 or 1:5, very high risk, that sometimes result in a problem. I hope you find some reassurance with your doctor.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jaesmummy For This Useful Post:

bmsprogo  (12-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twitch: Very glad to hear your good news.

BMSprogo: I agree with my 4 cubs, 1 in 37 still gives you a 36 in 37 chance of everything being fine. Their timing absolutely sucks - Friday afternoon? What were they thinking???

JaimeS: Best of luck with your amnio. Hoping to hear some more really positive results this week

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eckey For This Useful Post:

bmsprogo  (13-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi bmsprogo,

Firstly I just wanted to send you as I know that this is a time when you really need them.

With my first pregnancy I had a result of 1/18 for down syndrome, and it was the biggest shock of my life. I was 26 at the time, we have no family history, it just came totally out of the blue. After a lot of soul searching we decided to go ahead with an amnio, which showed that we had a perfectly healthy bub on board, thank god. Our little guy is almost 2 and 100% healthy.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this situation, I would not wish it on anyone. But I just want you to know that there is still more chance you baby is healthy than not, and I hope very soon you can look back on this as just an unpleasant experience like we can now.

If you have any questions about what we went through PM me, I would love to help in any way that I can.

Take care

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chook81 For This Useful Post:

bmsprogo  (13-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jaesmummy, Eckey and Chook -
    Feeling a bt more at peace with things - esp not having any REAL results to go off. That may change things - but am hoping to get into my OB tmorrow, have cancelled work so that I can be available at any time to get in and m amazing mum is spending the day over so that I'm free

97% is good odds....

Thanks
    Reviews
    97% is awesome odds, it's just hard to believe that when you're in the middle of it all and it's happening to you. Baby is going to be fine

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twitch For This Useful Post:

bmsprogo  (13-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bmsprogo - Thinking of you hun, I hope that baby is perfectly heatlhy in there and the results are good. Keep us posted and take care

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil X-men For This Useful Post:

bmsprogo  (13-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bmsprogo, I will say the same thing to you as I said to twitch (even though I got in trouble for it).

I honestly, sincerely hope your results show a standard set of chromosomes on a healthy little bub for you. But, if they should show that your bub has Ds, please know this is not the worst thing in the world. There seems to be this perception that raising a baby with Ds is so incredibly hard, and such a burden on a family, and it's really not. There is lots and lots of support out there, and should you results come back positive for Ds, I urge you to do research about what it's like to have a baby with Ds. Please feel free to PM me if I can give you any information.

Best of luck today.

PS A phone call on Friday afternoon to give you that information? What a terrible thing to do to you! What were they thinking?