+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't like the OB that I had with my first baby because I found him arrogant but if you google his name nothing even close to that comes up. Sorry but with the amount of OB's out there, I would be choosing someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had him about 9 years ago, but for gyno not as an OB. He performed my laparoscopy for my endo, and video'd it!
    I was fine from the operation but did find his bedside manner left a lot to be desired. I'm curious, and off to google now.
    Good luck with your decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    People keep talking about bedside manner.

Do you mean he is rude? Like does he just do his job and not look you in the eye ever or something like that?

Or is he just like - well sweetheart if you didnt eat that pie maybe you'd be thinner?? hahaha

Just wondering what kind of rude - as long as he knows his stuff and gives it to me straight Im sure Ill be fine. But I dont want to be afraid to ask him for what I want.. So I do need to feel comfortable..

Also He is a private OB - Im paying 400 all up but will get 100 back from medicare. So he isnt public - not sure where people got that from? Maybe he has gone fully private???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry but it sounds like you have already made up your mind so I don't know why you started this thread. The only person you thanked for taking time to give their opinion is the one person who said something good about him. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No no - it's just good to hear something good about him amongst all the bad.

I think that the media let things get out of hand sometimes.

I still dont know what I will do but I think I will go in for one appointment and then see for myself.

And I didnt realize I had to thank everyone for their opinions? I appreciate everyone taking the time - but that doesnt mean you should be counting my thanks?!

I started this thread because before reading all these comments I was a lot more confused then I am now - having read a few more articles and the comments people had below them (like the article that was posted on here by another lady).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanaz View Post
    Also He is a private OB - Im paying 400 all up but will get 100 back from medicare. So he isnt public - not sure where people got that from? Maybe he has gone fully private???
    compared to what other OB's are charging $400 is nothing most private Melb's charge anything from $2K - through to $7K I think that is where the public came from as far as I know he only delivers at Werribee which is a public hospital

I don't think any other hospitals would take him

And no you don't have to thank everyone that is just plan silly

Good luck with the first appointment but do hope you go elsewhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheers mate - and wow - I cannot believe you could have to pay 2 grand for an ob!!???

I know that if I went fully private I would be looking at around that much - but not for just the OB in a public hospital!!

The only reason I am still going is because he apparently takes on twice the amount that most doctors do and so his average of deaths and complaints are amazing. Its juts his attitude that people cant handle. So I want to see for myself if he really is a jerk or if he is just focused.

If it was because he was actually a bad doctor then I would not go near him.

Thanks again for all your help guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having worked at WMH I know of Dr Calandra very well and his reputation. On a personal and professional level I would not consider him for my pregnancy. I would go with the suggestions of Dr How and although someone commented that Dr Ong lacked personality under pressure and in emergency situations he proved to be fantastic. If Dr Vich / Vish [dont remember the spelling] is still there id highly recommend him.
    Hope this is of some help.
    I realise that everyone has opinion of who to see and not but at the end of the day you need to be happy with the service you are going to get.
    Wish you luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dr Vich not their anymore only does Frances Perry House (love them) and Vincents and some in east

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dr Calandra is my OB and i cant speak highly enough of him.

When i had DD he was great though the pregnancy and during my difficult delivery.

Yes he is abrubt and to the point but that is what i wanted in a Dr, i dont want him dilly dalling around the truth.

He births at Werribee and St Albans (i think, he has an office there too).

When i had my m/s a few months ago he was great, i was bleeding heavly and loosing too much blood too fast and didnt hesitate to do surgery ( i knew i needed it) and left his patients in his clinic to wait while he attended to me. I know we get annoyed waiting for a dr, but wouldnt you want a dr to do this for you. He attends 99% of his births. I m/s 3 months ago and up until 5 days ago i was still seeing him for follow ups as he is very thorough (sp).

Yes he waiting room is always full (a good sign), yes to have to wait, yes he is straight to the point, but a good dr is all those things.

I will not hesitate in seeing him when we get pg again.

He is a private OB, Werribee Mercy is a public hospital but they only use private OB's and last time i check '09 they only used 5. They also now have a midwives program which uses the OB on call if needed, so you could end up with any of those 5 OB's.

Good luck in making your decision and let us know once you have had your appt what you think.
    Last edited by bubbies4me; 22-03-2011 at 21:50.