+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation DR Calandra

So Ive booked in with Dr Calandra at werribee mercy.

Has anyone had any experiences with him as when I told my ultrasound tech he laughed out loud and said good luck in a sarcastic tone..

This makes me extremely nervous! He told me to make up my own mind once I googled him..

So I did - and Im in 2 minds.. In a horrible horrible time - it seems to make people feel better to point the finger when sometimes noone would be able to help.

And apparently his average is better than most.

I dont know - this is my first and so I want to make the right choice for me but Im confused so would like any other peoples opinions on the matter and any personal experiences with him..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    have not used him

first child was at Weribee Mercy last one we went private

everyone I have ever spoke to about him will say change Dr's

ok yes he can do the job baby will be fine but surely you want more than fine someone that will actually be nice even kind and definitely not average

he is rude and coming from me that is always being called rude on here I would not touch him with a 10f oot pole

he is bulkbilled and you get what you pay for nothing but the basics

I have heard Dr How is very good check him out might be worth paying for the first appointment you can also go back if you don't like him or the female Dr I think is very good also

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard good and bad things about him, but i guess that happens with all Dr's. I think you should have an appointment with him and see how you feel about him after it. Everyone will have different opinions, you might like a particular dr whereas i might find him horrible. I went with Dr Stephen Ong and he basically had no personality (lol) and never really said much AT ALL but was great during the delivery. If i was going to have an OB this time around i would go back to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As with all doctors you will hear good and bad stories...the best thing you can do is have an appointment and see how you feel! I had both my kids at Werribee Mercy. With my DD, I had Dr How and I chose not to go back to him with my DS. With my DS I saw Dr Jacqui Van Dam through the midwife clinic and would highly recommend her...unfortunately the clinic books out extremely quickly. Just because Dr Calandra bulk bills doesn't mean he isn't good! My first pregnancy was quite expensive due to the OB I was seeing and I didn't pay a cent when going through the midwife clinic with DS and to be honest the care I received with the midwives/Dr Van Dam was MUCH better than my first pregnancy/birth.

As I said earlier the only way to know if you've made the right decision is how you feel, not how other people feel about a particular doctor!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats on your pregnancy.

I did not go through the public system so i can not comment based on my personal experiences, however unfortunately I have only heard negative experiences about him.

A friend of mine was a midwife at Werribee and the stories she has told me about him.... I wouldn't go anywhere near him!!!! I'm sure your goggling has turned up alot of the stories that have been in the press about him, and Im sure lots of other negative feedback.

Three obs who I have heard good things about at Werribee are Dr Garra, Dr Ong and Dr How.

My advice is where there is smoke there is fire - your googling most likely turned up lots of negatives; I'm sure f you goggled other obs at Werribee you would read a lot more positive things, so why take your chances with Calandra....

Good luck with the pregnancy, hopefully you get to experience the newly renovated maternity ward!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not in the same state as you so I have never come across anyone that has had him but I just googled him and OMG!!!

I would never go to anyone in the medical field who has been investigated because of numerous claims of medical negligence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    how old is this guy surely his time is up soon

WOW this is just one article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bab...-1225759397459

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not had a personal experience but am aware of someone that has and I think you need to do your research very carefully and explore as many options as you can. There are many articles and I think lawsuits pending. There may be good things but have only heard bad.

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

I have never had Dr Calandra but I know a fair bit about him. He was on my list of obs to visit - I just happened to really like the ob I saw before him.

Yes, he is notoriously abrupt but he is also the the kind of ob you would hope to have if things go wrong. Yes, he has some interesting suits against him. Like any doctor, he is human. Calandra also happens to take on the patients that other obs try to avoid (medically and other). Naturally then, he has more unfavourable mentions associated with his name.

He knows his stuff and is as arrogant as they come. If bedside manner is important to you, then this dr is not for you. But if a dr's skills are more important than how many smiles and reassuring pats they give you during consults, then go along and give him a go.

Out of interest, I knew two midwives that worked at the mercy. They both hated Calandra. They also both chose him as an ob and have had five children between them under his care.

Good luck with your decision and a big congratulations on your preganancy!
    x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

Sheanaz  (12-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppykissesmonsterhugs View Post

He knows his stuff and is as arrogant as they come. If bedside manner is important to you, then this dr is not for you. But if a dr's skills are more important than how many smiles and reassuring pats they give you during consults, then go along and give him a go.
    But the ones that do smile also come with the skills as well