+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hyperthyroidism during pregnancy

Hello ladies

I was hoping there might be some people out there who can help me out with some info/advice on this.

I am 16wks pg with baby #1 and my obstetrician is a little concerned with my TSH levels and yesterday he bought up hyperthyroidism for the second time and sent me away with another TSH blood test referral (this will be my third) He did explain to me what happens with hyperthyroidism, treatment medications and risks of the medications (he's hoping to avoid any medication unless things get a bit crazy) but I am still a little lost about what hyperthyroidism even is and what is does and is caused by.

I have been googling things (of course) but would love to hear from any other Bubhubbers who might have experience/history/advice/outcomes from this too.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pregnancy induced hyperthyroidism (also called pregnancy induced thyrotoxicosis) which was picked up at around 10 weeks into my twin pregnancy through routine blood tests.   I had racing heart and nausea and weight loss as my main symptoms, all things I put down to being pregnant!  I saw an endocrinologist, and had multiple blood tests but it resolved by around 16-18 weeks.
    I think basically during the first trimester when the body is producing HCG hormone, the thyroid gets confused and goes into overdrive as thyroid hormone and pregnancy hormone are very similar.  As the HCG levels go down, the thyroid settles down.
    I never needed medication for it, but medication was discussed as a possibility,  and had follow up blood tests months after they were born and still all normal.
    I'm not sure if you have the same problem as I did, as mine was almost resolved by around 16 weeks i think.  Am I right in assuming that you didn't have a thyroid problem pre-pregnancy?
    I did a lot of research into it when I was pregnant, but can only remember the basics now.
    I hope you are feeling ok.  It is very worrying when your body does strange things!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply.

No, never had any thyroid probs in the past. Hopefully mine resolves itself as well, I'd really like to avoid the medications he discussed as they pose problems for bubs development. The last bloodtest I had for TSH levels was about 5wks ago so hopefully, like you said, it might be all resolved now that I'm into the second trimester and hCG levels are going down and my hormones are working themselves out

Good to hear you haven't had any probs after the birth as well. I keep reading all this stuff on Graves' disease and getting a bit freaked out! Google is so bad sometimes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries! I was worried about Graves too. Dr Google is bad!!
    I hope all is looking ok on your next blood test!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    My doctor is sending me off for thyroid testing too as ive had excessive hair loss and weight loss/ lack of weight gain since hyperemesis in my first and second trimesters... Im 26 weeks now.

Hope your tests come back negative, and hope someone here has more info too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I would like to hear how you went with your thyroid and your pregnancy. I just lost triplets at 10 weeks and I believe it was caused by my thyroid as I had all the symptons and was extremely sick. Dr doesnt believe The thyroid caused the loss and is thinks it was more likely chromosomal. I think he is wrong.