Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No Hat, No Outdoor Play Policy

Hi guys,

I've been trying to think of some pros and cons on the 'No hat, no outdoor play policy'. I have thought of some but need more, for my tafe work. Your help would be awsome!

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look on the sun smart website. They'll tell you all the positives.

Some negatives from a school perspective off the top of my head are:
    -kids need to be supervised inside or in the shade without hats, and they get very cranky there. They also come back in from play crabby and make learning hard for themselves and others as a gross generalization.
    -some kids intentionally forget hats to keep friends in the 'no hat' zone company ( which honestly doesn't bug me, but it bothers some staff members)
    -Kids pinch other kids hats.
    -Parents refuse to replace kids hats who lose them / have them taken to "teach them a lesson in responsibility".
    -students intentionally misplace hats to get out of PE, often miraculously finding them for play.
    Daddy (32) Mummy (31)

DS1 (March 08) DS2 (April 10)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bellalika For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay (04-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schools should have a sunblock policy to go along with the hat. The hat is just not good enough. It doesnt cover all the face let alone the arms and legs.

Kids go from childcare where they get sunblocked 3 or so times a day to school and no-one gives a hoot about it.

I agree with the comments bellalika made. As a parent i have heard all of that from my school aged kids.
    When you're right, no one remembers. When you're wrong, no one forgets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I absolutely agree with being sun-smart, I can tell you a huuuuuge negative these days is people lacking in Vitamin D from lack of healthy exposure to the sun. DH is a doctor and it is almost one of his routine tests nowadays.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are all sorts of rules that prevent public schools from supplying sunscreen and applying it. Allergies, parental permission and too many cases of teachers being accused of touching children are just some reasons why.

Students are strongly encouraged to reapply sunscreen at school and parents are urged to put sunscreen on their children before school and put an easy to apply, hard to spill (roll on is perfect) in their child's bag. Lots of schools do sunblock fundraising drives in an effort to promote good sun protection. That is about all schools can do.

It's one of those stuck between a rock and a hard place positions.

Many schools are also looking into having sun glasses on the uniform list. Their is one particular company specializing in this, with a special name space and different sizes. They also do soft foam necklace / lanyard things with the school name and logo. The two major problems are the ease of loseing glasses and the strangulation risk of the cord if tight enough to prevent the glasses easily slipping off.
    Daddy (32) Mummy (31)

DS1 (March 08) DS2 (April 10)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter has suncreen applied at home before school then again before second break. They do fitness at 8:30 for 10 minute each morning then Tuesday they do PE from 8:30 to 9 o no fitness that morning. They are then inside from 9 to 10:30 when they go on first break but the sunscreen from home is still on her then. The kids are lathered up at 1pm when they go out for second break at 1pm and are inside from 10:30 to 1

This is at a Catholic school not a public school but they are Year 2! The sunscreen is on the bench for parents to use if they can't put it on at home for any reason

I can't think of any negatives to the policy myself but I would hate my child to be outside in our type of sun without a hat which is why she has 2 school hats and the classes have spare hats but it's rare they have to use them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can think of two cons from our daycare experience.

1. The policy isn't worth the paper it's written on if not enforced. Most times I picked up DS he was one of only a few wearing his hat - the others were all hatless.

2. If it is enforced, then they often have a pool of "spare" hats that get shared around, in which case I'm concerned about the spread of headlice. I prefer the only hat to touch my child's head to be their own.