+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gold Coast Schools

Hi

Really hope someone can help because we are completely clueless when it comes to schools on the coast! We have 2 girls and we are looking for a school that goes from prep to the end of high school. We really like the look of Kings Christian College but we dont know anyone who has any experience of the school - anyone have any opinions??

What schools would you recommend and which would you avoid? By what age would you put your kids names down for a school?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally, I would avoid Kings, but that's because I'm an athieist and I hate driving on the highway at peak hour! Haha.

Schools are such a personal thing. If you have your heart set on a Christian school, apart from Kings there is Emmanuel College which has a much more central location (depends on where you are though- Kings might be very convenient for you). There's also Hillcrest which is just down the road from Kings.

Marymount is a good Catholic school with a very good reputation. It's in Burleigh.

All Saints Anglican is very good (my stepdaughter goes there and I taught there for 6 years) but it's really hard to get into.

Trinity Lutheran College is in Ashmore, I also taught there. It's pretty good too, but expensive and they don't have the best facilities for the money.

Of course, there are lots of awesome public schools too!

My kids will be going to Queensland Independent College, a tiny, non-denominational, Montessori-based school that opened in 2009.

My neighbour's girls go to Kings, if you want I can ask her what she likes/ doesn't like about it?

Noelle x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to kings, I started in prep till year 10 it was an amazing school I will be sending my children there if we move back to the coast when DH leaves the army. The friendships I made with teachers and students still continue. I had awesome teachers who taught us lessons in equality, respect and understanding. Teachers were also helping us so we never fell behind. Honestly, you won't regret it. Most of my friends went from prep to year 12 and will be sending their kids there too. I have friends who have returned there to teach also.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I am currently doing interviews/prep nights at the moment.

I put both of my girls names down at AB Paterson, Arundel early 2009 and DD1 won't be making the cut off for numbers for Prep. She is due to start 2012. DD2 will be able to start there in 2014 though so we are still considering starting DD1 somewhere and then changing her. It is very close to where we live.

I put their names down at Guardian Angels, Ashmore too and those interviews are in March/April. We are not catholic so not sure of our chances to get in there. Also that is only Prep-Gr 6 but right next door is the high school Gr 7-12 which is Aquinus. I only put the girls names down early rhis year.

And my current favourite is Trinity. But that is the only school I did thwe open day so far and then prep information night and I was so so so impressed. We have our interview in a week there. I really hope we get in there and I doubt we would change DD1 to AB Paterson.

Apart from that I havew no idea where to send her and still don't have all that high chances of getting in to any of those 3 schools so I could be vwery stuck. In that case I would pick any private school for a year and change to AB Paterson for Grade 1 onwards.

I do not like any of the public schools near me, have realissues with a coupe of thwem.

But sorry, I know nothing about Kings. My best friend was pulled out of Southport High and put there for a year when we were younger cause her parents thought she was being "badly influenced" hahaha. But she came to us after a year

Good luck with your decision but one thing get there names down ASAP. You do have to pay an application fee for each child at each school you want to apply to though. Its about $70-$80 each.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Freya, when were you at Kings? I taught there for a year in 2004.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    Freya, when were you at Kings? I taught there for a year in 2004.
    I left in 05

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest DD is in prep at Coomera Anglican College at Coomera.
    We are very happy with the school.
    The teachers, Admin and Management and facilities are excellent.
    My youngest still goes to the Early Learning Centre attached to the school and I highly recommend them too.

As for wait lists, get them on the wait list as soon as you can. Mine were on from about 6 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your responses it really helps.

Does anyone know anything about Pacific Coast in Tweed or Gold Coast Christian School in Reedy Creek? I think Im definately set on Kings but need to have some back up options just in case we dont get in.

Thanks again x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do u have to be Anglican or catholic to ge into coomera Anglican college or any of the other catholic school?

R there mass or any religious teaching in the curriculum?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kings & St Andrews

Hi Everyone
    I am very interested in this topic as I am trying to decide which school to send both of my sons. DS is starting Prep next year!! We also would like to send the boys to a school where they can start at Prep and go to Year 12. We have put their names down at Kings Christian College and St Andrews Lutheran however we only put their names on the waiting list at the beginning of the year so I'm not sure how good our chances are of being offered a place for DS next year, especially St Andrews as they seem very popular but we have our that he gets into Kings.
    We went to the Kings Assessent day earlier in the month and it is a very lovely school, the teachers were so nice and caring and the students that helped out on the day were so polite and friendly!! We really like the school, our only concern is we are worried that it may be a bit too religious. We are happy for the boys to learn about religion but coming from a family that doesnt attend church we hope this wont be an issue. I would appreciate any feedback on Kings as I also dont know anyone that has their children attending this school.

Good luck Lollipops mum in your choice.... its very overwhelming!!

C