Closed Thread
Page 65 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    This is completely off the topic of spelling and grammar... however...

I get so annoyed when people refer to cottage pie as shepherd's pie! What's worse, I know I'm being so incredibly petty that I can't even usually admit to it.

My mum does from time to time, and I take the opportunity to call her on it and vent all my frustrations on one person.

"I just made shepherd's pie."
    "Does it have lamb in it?"
    "No, it's beef mince."
    "THEN IT'S NOT A SHEPHERD'S PIE!"
    Haha haha I never knew that thanks for clearing that up
    I enjoy reading this thread and came in to see if any post were about my disgusting spelling and grammar across the forum lol
    I admit I'm absolutely shocking! There is many many small common words I can never spell and thank my iphone's predictive text constantly. I'm worse with punctuation. I strongly believe I missed my window for learning opportunity when I was in lower primary school. My teachers didn't believe in teaching us to spell there was a greater emphasis on reading. Theory being if you could read you'd learn how to spell through reading the same word over and over. I'm proof that doesn't work! Im an avid reader and have alway read well and was advance when I was younger in school but I still couldn't pick up how to spell the words I was reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    The other, often mistaught, grammatical rule is -s's. For example James's. If you pronounce the 'zzz' sound then you must add the -'s. I often have the young people arguing with me over this rule as they were told it's James'.
    Really?! I pride myself on spelling and punctuation and I didn't know that! I've always been taught that if the name ends in 's' the possessive form doesn't require the additional 's' as it's redundant. I don't think i've ever seen James's written in a book either...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBeee View Post
    Really?! I pride myself on spelling and punctuation and I didn't know that! I've always been taught that if the name ends in 's' the possessive form doesn't require the additional 's' as it's redundant. I don't think i've ever seen James's written in a book either...
    Neither have I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussyfoot View Post
    No, it remains one. With the apostrophe on the right side of one s. And this being so as more than one s is considered redundant.
    I know, I mean that Jesus has two of the letter s in it already so to say Jesus's would make it 3 s sounds. Never mind, it makes sense in my head

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DP and I argue about James' vs James's. I think the former and he the latter, which is odd to me given he is English.

Check out www.damnyouautocorrect.com - some brilliant typos there!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (24-04-2011)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfildes View Post
    DP and I argue about James' vs James's. I think the former and he the latter, which is odd to me given he is English.

All the links I provided above support your DP.

The answer here is that, rather than being correct or incorrect, it's a style issue. Styles change from manual to manual as well as changing at different times in history. At this point in time it is considered preferable by most style manuals to include the extra "s" unless the name comes from a biblical or classical source.

So strictly speaking no-one is right or wrong here, however including the "s" is your safer bet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Omg my new favourite site, some of those are hilarious!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh G0d. I. Cannot. Stop. Laughing. At one point I fell to the floor reading one out. This is the funniest website I've read in a long time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wondergirl76 View Post
    Oh G0d. I. Cannot. Stop. Laughing. At one point I fell to the floor reading one out. This is the funniest website I've read in a long time.
    It's been a while since I've been to that site......ahh, so funny! Am sitting here laughing out loud.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DH and I go through that site together at least once a week. Funniest website ever, we literally end up in tears.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (25-04-2011)