Closed Thread
Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I'm not surprised at all by this! Grammar wasn't part of the ACT curriculum for many years, and I assume this is still the case. I'm not actually sure how anyone can be expected to have a good working knowledge of grammar anymore!

Out of interest, how many people in this thread were given formal grammar instruction in high school? I had the occasional teacher who would put aside a couple of weeks to teach us a little despite it not being part of the curriculum; however anything I know has been learnt either by rote or through research I've done by myself in the years since leaving school.
    We didn't at the time but since I have left, my high school has acknowledged the horrid spelling and grammar of the students and decided to dedicate 1 session per week to teaching basic grammar. My year 11 english teacher did actually teach us some at the beginning of the year (again not part of the curriculum)... we all hated it but in retrospect I am glad she did!

Quote Originally Posted by saltygirl View Post
    Melbourne Mummy...
    It is definitely:
    Would you like to come with me?
    If I was asked, "would you like to come with?" I would have to ask, "come with whom?" (Who... whom??? That's one I always mess up! Lol).

Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub
    I was actually taught in journalism that we don't use 'whom' any more. And wikipedia just told me that:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (2nd edition, 1989), whom is "no longer current in natural colloquial speech". Lasnik & Sobin 2000 argue that surviving occurrences of whom are not part of ordinary English grammar, but the result of extra-grammatical rules for producing "prestige" forms.

So now you don't have to worry about getting them confused

Thanks
    Reviews
    Out of interest, how many people in this thread were given formal grammar instruction in high school?
    I don't really remember if we did... I think there were mentions of basics in our English classes. My Mum is a highschool English & lit teacher, & she always hammered spelling & grammar into us when she proof read our assignments or essays, so maybe that's how I picked up my knowledge/understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whom is very definitely used in speech and in written language. Working in a language rich profession, the purported redundancy of this word takes me by surprise. It is still very much in use. I would vouch that those who say it's not used do not know how to use the word properly.

Out of interest, how many people in this thread were given formal grammar instruction in high school?
    I was via English class where grammar instruction was fed through the curriculum rather than as a stand alone subject. However, the fundamentals were taught to me in primary school with further learning via reading, comprehension and language classes. (Anyone remember "Let's Make English Live"?)

Additionally, I was very fortunate to be in a class where 90% was comprised of immigrants which made the subject of grammar all the more important. In return, I became bilingual. This is something that I find sadly lacking in a lot of schools too.

Back then (70's and 80s), the foundations for literacy were very good. Then the policy writers stepped in with national plans and beaurocratic bs and it all fell by the wayside. It makes me laugh how "educational programmes" laud the "newest educational discovery" and it's just plain phonics (anyone remember the "Word Power" series?)

And aren't we paying for it now!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is completely off the topic of spelling and grammar... however...

I get so annoyed when people refer to cottage pie as shepherd's pie! What's worse, I know I'm being so incredibly petty that I can't even usually admit to it.

My mum does from time to time, and I take the opportunity to call her on it and vent all my frustrations on one person.

"I just made shepherd's pie."
    "Does it have lamb in it?"
    "No, it's beef mince."
    "THEN IT'S NOT A SHEPHERD'S PIE!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

naebie  (18-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is completely off the topic of spelling and grammar... however...

I get so annoyed when people refer to cottage pie as shepherd's pie! What's worse, I know I'm being so incredibly petty that I can't even usually admit to it.

My mum does from time to time, and I take the opportunity to call her on it and vent all my frustrations on one person.

"I just made shepherd's pie."
    "Does it have lamb in it?"
    "No, it's beef mince."
    "THEN IT'S NOT A SHEPHERD'S PIE!"
    I've always wondered the difference. Thanks!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never use "cottage pie"

'cos it reminds me of cottage cheese

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's not the only difference either, cottage pie has far more vegetables in it than a shepherd's pie (which doesn't have any, except for things like onion and of course the potato).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    That's not the only difference either, cottage pie has far more vegetables in it than a shepherd's pie (which doesn't have any, except for things like onion and of course the potato).
    I always put vegies in my shepherds pie. Perhaps I am making a cottage shepherds pie? Or a shepherds cottage pie. Or a shepage pie?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't say cottage pie either. I know I should, but I don't like the sound of it. I never use lamb mince because once I made moussaka and I'm positive the mince was sheep, and not a sprightly one either, because it stank, not off, just that strong sheep smell. So yes, I call cottage pie shepherds pie, but I do know the difference lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So Off topic, but I use diced lamb for my shepherd's pie, and beef mince for my cottage pie.
    There is a recipe on a packet (OXO cubes maybe) that is for "Shepherd's Pie" but it says to use beef mince. It really bothers me too!