Closed Thread
Page 59 of 99 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm just looking up birthday cakes for DD and on one of the bakery sites they sell sandwhiches. It's not just spelled like that once, but twice . I love their cakes (got our wedding cake there) but now I'm not sure I can bring myself to use them lol!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey bubhubitarians,

I am currently writing an application & need a bit of help.

Can you help me with this sentence:

"as I feel that these skills and knowledge shared amongst colleagues can help with the overall work flow...."

Knowledge doesn't look right Help!!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    bumping.... because it didn't appear in the new posts?

hellppp meeeeee

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a question. I have been told off for saying "Would you like to come with me?" The correct way I should have said this is apparently "Would you like to come with?"

My question is... really? No "me" added on?

BTW, people in the USA HATED me saying "come with me" or "we are going to the shops, would you like to come with us?"

They wanted me to say "would you like to come with?" or "we are going to the shops, will you come with?"

I always waited for the end of the sentence to be finished! lol. So all the smarties in this thread, tell me the correct way to say it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (17-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by iCrazy View Post
    Hey bubhubitarians,

"as I feel that these skills and knowledge shared amongst colleagues can help with the overall work flow...."

I would write "as I feel that these skills, and the knowledge shared amongst colleagues can help with the overall work flow..."

OR

“as I feel that the skills and knowledge shared amongst colleagues can help with the overall work flow…”

I am not good at writing though, so I will let an expert answer you. I would just use either of my options as it flows better in my mind, your option seems a little confusing. I don't know what the right way to write that is, so I will look forward to reading the right way when some one else answers Just thought that I would try hehe.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iCrazy View Post
    Hey bubhubitarians,

In this instance, the word knowledge can't be prefaced with "these", so I would write "such skills and knowledge". This assumes that you were referring to said skills and knowledge in a previous sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneMummy View Post
    I have a question. I have been told off for saying "Would you like to come with me?" The correct way I should have said this is apparently "Would you like to come with?"

My question is... really? No "me" added on?

BTW, people in the USA HATED me saying "come with me" or "we are going to the shops, would you like to come with us?"

They wanted me to say "would you like to come with?" or "we are going to the shops, will you come with?"

I always waited for the end of the sentence to be finished! lol. So all the smarties in this thread, tell me the correct way to say it!
    "Would you like to come with me" is definitely the correct way to word this .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (18-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ok so my DH has a friend he went to Uni with many years ago who is highly educated and very accomplished, as is his wife. They have just got back to Australia after she has finished a stint as an English Professor at Cambridge (she is younger than me!) and we went over there this morning.

She has now got a post at UNSW as a creative writing lecturer and she mentioned that she is doing a few book reviews at the moment. I asked her who she reviews for (thinking something small and local) and she replied `The Australian and The Sydney Morning Herald. mostly'.

Anyway, when I got home I googled her so I could read some of her reviews, and it turns out that she's also a bloody award-winning published novelist! To say I am amazed is an understatement. I've only just met them as they've been overseas but DH has known them for years and we didn't know. She is SO modest.

Anyway, there is a point to this. We were having a chat about grammar and she is saying she's hopeless at it! I didn't believe her at all .... but she said she had an oral exam when she was studying and they asked her to describe a split infinitive and she managed to get out of it by saying it wasn't really related to the topic of her PhD and so she didn't really think it was a relevant question.

I loved that she is so accomplished and yet so honest.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    Anyway, there is a point to this. We were having a chat about grammar and she is saying she's hopeless at it! I didn't believe her at all .... but she said she had an oral exam when she was studying and they asked her to describe a split infinitive and she managed to get out of it by saying it wasn't really related to the topic of her PhD and so she didn't really think it was a relevant question.

I loved that she is so accomplished and yet so honest.
    I'm not surprised at all by this! Grammar wasn't part of the ACT curriculum for many years, and I assume this is still the case. I'm not actually sure how anyone can be expected to have a good working knowledge of grammar anymore!

Out of interest, how many people in this thread were given formal grammar instruction in high school? I had the occasional teacher who would put aside a couple of weeks to teach us a little despite it not being part of the curriculum; however anything I know has been learnt either by rote or through research I've done by myself in the years since leaving school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post

Out of interest, how many people in this thread were given formal grammar instruction in high school? I had the occasional teacher who would put aside a couple of weeks to teach us a little despite it not being part of the curriculum; however anything I know has been learnt either by rote or through research I've done by myself in the years since leaving school.
    I was taught grammar at school. Our English classes were split into English Literature and English Language, which were taught separately with separate exams / qualifications at the end.

Sent from my Desire HD using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Melbourne Mummy...
    It is definitely:
    Would you like to come with me?
    If I was asked, "would you like to come with?" I would have to ask, "come with whom?" (Who... whom??? That's one I always mess up! Lol).

Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to saltygirl For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (18-04-2011)