Closed Thread
Page 57 of 98 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ahhh

So I've got a cold and am not all together there today...just now, within the space of 3 minutes I:
    1. Sent a text and wrote: "The smorning"
    2. Said to a customer on the phone as I was giving him my email address: "My reception is email @ ..."
    3. Spelt my own name incorrectly - to the same customer on the phone.
    Oi I should just go back to bed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks saving fish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    A question for all the wordsmiths on the hub!

Should the saying be...

"A new lease ON life",

or

"A new lease OF life?"
    Freedictionary says that 'new lease on life' is American, and 'new lease of life' is British/ Australian.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmyCatMummy View Post
    I can't seem to find the answer. Some say it is a colloquialism, others say it is an infix, as opposed to a suffix or prefix; i.e it's a word that inserts into another (a whole 'nother?) word. If this is so then I think words such as abso-fcuking-lutely should have their place in the english language.
    I find this really interesting. Inserting words into other words or phrases in such a way is called "tmesis", and it's very common to find turns of phrase that have evolved in this way (Ned Flanders is a prime culprit!).

I guess the problem I have with it is that it has traditionally been used for humorous effect, however I hear so many people saying "a whole nother" who are oblivious to the fact that "nother" is simply not a word.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Freedictionary says that 'new lease on life' is American, and 'new lease of life' is British/ Australian.
    Ooh, how interesting! I didn't know that! 'On' just makes so much more sense IMO.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I find this really interesting. Inserting words into other words or phrases in such a way is called "tmesis", and it's very common to find turns of phrase that have evolved in this way (Ned Flanders is a prime culprit!).

I guess the problem I have with it is that it has traditionally been used for humorous effect, however I hear so many people saying "a whole nother" who are oblivious to the fact that "nother" is simply not a word.
    I thought 'a whole nother' was a mispronunciation of 'a whole other', as in: but that's a whole other story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Cheesecake Shop near where I live has spelling mistakes and a misused apostrophe in their company branded stickers on the windows. As it's a franchise, it makes me wonder if all Cheesecake shops do....? And how did that ever get past the final sign-off?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually that would still be wrong wouldn't it? Let's just stick with 'that's another story' and leave it there

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    Ooh, how interesting! I didn't know that! 'On' just makes so much more sense IMO.
    What I've read suggests that the word "of" was commonly used with regard to land leases in the past, eg "he owns the lease of his house". I believe it is only recently that "on" is more commonly used.

Personally I would always use "on", simply because that's the word I would use to describe any other kind of lease.

For what it's worth, the Google test leans in favour of "lease of life" with 4,080,000 results, compared to 3,790,000 results for "lease on".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although "yeah" is slang it still makes me cringe when I see people spell it "yer", "ya" or "yeh".
    I think the accepted spelling varies state to state, but being a Tassie girl I only like "yeah".
    Is it incredibly anal of me to dictate the spelling of slang words? Lol, I don't think so :P

Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub