Page 55 of 98 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Teehee Mez... I was thinking the same thing

Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this site earlier when I was trying to figure out the difference between obliged and obligated... thought some of you may find it worthwhile. It taught me a couple of things

http://writing.lifetips.com/cat/8495...rds/index.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok this your/you're business is getting beyond a joke! How hard is it to ask "are you saying 'you are'". Every time I see it I want to correct the poster. It happens here, FB - I even saw it in an opinion piece in the local paper the other day! Surely the editors could have fixed that one. Grrrrr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok my grammatically correct fellow bubhubbians, I have a question. A friend of mine is writing a blurb on her cake decorating website and wants to use the word 'myriad'. Her dilemma is does she write, "a myriad designs and colours" or "a myriad of designs and colours"? Apparently the former is correct, but the latter is more socially acceptable, what would you do?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    Ok my grammatically correct fellow bubhubbians, I have a question. A friend of mine is writing a blurb on her cake decorating website and wants to use the word 'myriad'. Her dilemma is does she write, "a myriad designs and colours" or "a myriad of designs and colours"? Apparently the former is correct, but the latter is more socially acceptable, what would you do?
    Definitely the first one, the "of" is superfluous.

ETA I may have spoken too soon, will be back later!
    Last edited by lambjam; 12-04-2011 at 08:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After the recent floods in QLD, I heard many times the misuse of "hunker" and "bunker". Lots of newsreaders said "People are bunkering down..", when the correct use is "hunkering". One can hunker in a bunker, but not the other way round. Annoyed me everytime I heard it (which was nearly every night!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    From what I have found, "myriad" can be both a noun and an adjective and therefore, both are technically correct.

Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it. (Source)

I think "A myriad of designs and colours" sounds better and as it is more generally accepted I would go with that one. She wants the focus to be on her cakes, not people learning that myriad can be used both ways

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmyCatMummy View Post
    Ok this your/you're business is getting beyond a joke! How hard is it to ask "are you saying 'you are'". Every time I see it I want to correct the poster. It happens here, FB - I even saw it in an opinion piece in the local paper the other day! Surely the editors could have fixed that one. Grrrrr.
    This is my biggest hate too. I even saw it on an ad a couple of weeks ago, was almost tempted to contact the company to point out their stupid error.

I don't know how so many people can get it wrong, in fact I so rarely see "you're" used correctly, I'm scared that less and less people even realise that they're doing it wrong.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmyCatMummy View Post
    From what I have found, "myriad" can be both a noun and an adjective and therefore, both are technically correct.
    Shock horror, this is what I also found when I looked a little deeper! Personally I prefer it without the "a" but she should use whichever she's most comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just thought of some more errors that truly annoy me...
    Piece and peace confusion... As in, "I'll give you a peace of my mind"
    One that makes me want to tear out my eyes whenever I see it written is: Been vs Being...
    "My brother is been a jerk" omg omg I hate that so much!!
    (Same goes for Seen vs Seeing, and any other "een" vs "eeing").

Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub