Closed Thread
Page 52 of 99 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 982
  1. #511
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    739
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked
    86
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lmao Lambjam... "chicken" (but not really, it just tastes like it) schnitzel...
    I hate when I go out for tea and am forced to have a Snitzel because there is no Schnitzel on the menu.

    Octopi... I was only reading that word the other day. I looked it up, yes, it is totally wrong lol, it is octopuses of course, although the dictionary stated that although it is not in common usage, *octopodes* is also acceptable... It makes me cringe to think of using it... "We went fishing on the weekend. We didn't catch any fish, but we reeled in some octopodes." :-/

    Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub

  2. #512
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    739
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked
    86
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ^ Just for fun I overused comma's ( Excuse me, "commas") for anyone who has too much time on there (teehee) hands to correct.

    Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub

  3. #513
    MrJones&Me's Avatar
    MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,613
    Thanks
    1,993
    Thanked
    1,370
    Reviews
    22
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lambjam - In regards to your "comprises" vent.

    Another word/s for Comprises is made.

    Yep, so when people are saying "comprises of lalalala" they are using the word correctly.

    "Made Of" is a completely suitable term, so why wouldn't comprises of be?

    The DICTIONARY uses the term

    Includes is a singular term, comprise/s is looking something at a whole.

  4. #514
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iCrazy View Post
    Lambjam - In regards to your "comprises" vent.

    Another word/s for Comprises is made.

    Yep, so when people are saying "comprises of lalalala" they are using the word correctly.

    "Made Of" is a completely suitable term, so why wouldn't comprises of be?

    The DICTIONARY uses the term

    Includes is a singular term, comprise/s is looking something at a whole.
    Comprise actually means "to contain or embrace", "made up of", "constitutes", so the "of" is superfluous.

    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...s-compose.aspx
    http://languageandgrammar.com/2008/0...sed-of-errors/
    http://grammarrule.blogspot.com/2006...sed-of-or.html
    http://www.drgrammar.org/frequently-asked-questions#120

    If it should eventually find its way into the dictionary due to common use, that won't be a good enough reason for me to accept that misusage, just as I will never say "haitch" or "a whole nother".

    ETA Here's the definition from my Oxford (noting that it's quite a complicated entry, I've copied the section titled "Of things":
    a To take up, fully occupy (a space).
    b To constitute, make up, compose.
    c To be composed of, to consist of.
    Last edited by lambjam; 05-04-2011 at 07:50.

  5. #515
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    739
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked
    86
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, saying "comprises of" is like saying "atm machine".

    Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub

  6. #516
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

  7. #517
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,276
    Thanks
    3,697
    Thanked
    3,090
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's a town in England called Portsmouth (pronounced "Ports-math" or thereabouts). DH's (Aussie) sister went to visit, and thought it was actually called "Ports-marf" because a lot of English people pronounce it with a bit of a Cockney accent. She emailed my mum saying that she was going to 'Portsmarf'.

    Another one... "whopping cough"

  8. #518
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,237
    Thanks
    3,290
    Thanked
    716
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been following this thread since it began and am amazed that it is still going ahead and love laughing at all the tiny little things that you women pick up on...I try and be as articulate as possible but have since learnt (from this thread) that I make many horrifying mistakes haha

    Anywho, I just received this email at work from someone who wanted me to pass their information onto our marketing team...I think I will, but more so for a laugh then a business prospect. The red is just what jumped out at me first hand. I'm sure you ladies could pick the whole thing to pieces. I get that we all make the odd typo from time to time but if you're going to try and sell yourself to a large company for business..USE SPELL CHECK!

    It made me think of this thread and I thought I'd share it:

    would like to introduce myself. My name is Xxx and I am based in Xxxx. I am an experienced and successful designer and inventor with over 15 years experiecne in product development, patents, and commercialisation.
    I called Xxxx today and spoke to MissScoprio who passed this email address on for mwe to emaik through, and that she would pass this email onto appropriate marketing person. Hence this email.
    Attached is a brief presenttion of a new system for marketing the brand name on a monitor. This is under patent, and we are currently in the process of confidentiallly contacting companies in the filed to ascertain who willl be interested to use this system. We see it is a very simple system / product, and with great potential given the way many retialers and users are now using monitors in Portrait position, whereas such monitors were originally desingde to be in landscape format.
    Please contact me with any queries, or if you require furhter information.
    Thank you.
    Best Regards
    xxxx




    (obviously I took out personal names/company info)
    Last edited by FloatingFairy; 05-04-2011 at 10:51.

  9. #519
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Perth, SOR
    Posts
    764
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    72
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    If it should eventually find its way into the dictionary due to common use ....
    Oh my goodness, imagine if words were accepted into the dictionary just because they are commonly used - definately would be appearing in the next edition for sure
    It's the stuff nightmares are made of

  10. #520
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,242
    Thanks
    5,043
    Thanked
    3,637
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissScorpio View Post
    I've been following this thread since it began and am amazed that it is still going ahead and love laughing at all the tiny little things that you women pick up on...I try and be as articulate as possible but have since learnt (from this thread) that I make many horrifying mistakes haha

    Anywho, I just received this email at work from someone who wanted me to pass their information onto our marketing team...I think I will, but more so for a laugh then a business prospect. The red is just what jumped out at me first hand. I'm sure you ladies could pick the whole thing to pieces. I get that we all make the odd typo from time to time but if you're going to try and sell yourself to a large company for business..USE SPELL CHECK!

    It made me think of this thread and I thought I'd share it:

    would like to introduce myself. My name is Xxx and I am based in Xxxx. I am an experienced and successful designer and inventor with over 15 years experiecne in product development, patents, and commercialisation.
    I called Xxxx today and spoke to MissScoprio who passed this email address on for mwe to emaik through, and that she would pass this email onto appropriate marketing person. Hence this email.
    Attached is a brief presenttion of a new system for marketing the brand name on a monitor. This is under patent, and we are currently in the process of confidentiallly contacting companies in the filed to ascertain who willl be interested to use this system. We see it is a very simple system / product, and with great potential given the way many retialers and users are now using monitors in Portrait position, whereas such monitors were originally desingde to be in landscape format.
    Please contact me with any queries, or if you require furhter information.
    Thank you.
    Best Regards
    xxxx




    (obviously I took out personal names/company info)
    Aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhh!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Where's the spelling & grammar vent thread gone?!?
    By 4fullstop in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 19:05
  2. Spelling and Grammar Vent Thread #2
    By Savingfishfromdrowning in forum General Chat
    Replies: 736
    Last Post: 13-02-2013, 20:38
  3. Spelling/grammar **spin off***
    By squirrelex in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 07:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Innovations Sports Physiotherapy
Women’s Health Physios who are able to assess and treat a wide range of Pregnancy and Post Natal Issues. We offer Post Natal Pilates Classes taken by our Physios. These classes help you rebuild strength through your Core and Pelvic Floor.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!