Closed Thread
Page 45 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussyfoot View Post
    Initially this was followed in Australia (some cities still do) but standards have fallen by the wayside to the extent where you can walk into the cafe down the road, pour yourself a coffee and you can call yourself a barista. That's what I meant when I said the term was used incorrectly. A case of culture affecting grammar if you will.
    I think you can blame Starbucks for that one

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Pussyfoot  (19-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ooh, how about when people mispronounce "asterisk" as "asterix"?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oooh...'Asked' and 'arksed'. Have we had that one? Like 'I arksed him how his day was.'
    Last edited by Pulp Fiction; 22-03-2011 at 08:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    Am I the only one who also fails to understand the facebook post mentioned above? Not sure where you were going with the incorrect use of that apostrophe

I'm normally good with spelling and grammar but I don't get what you wrote. Feel free to explain
    First, I posted it on my phone and meant to come back and italicise the post but forgot to lol! Fixed! (Wasn't sure of the coding but I know now )

Secondly, I made the post after seeing a job ad that said "Position's vacant". As I mentioned before, the misuse of the apostrophe is my biggest pet peeve. I was being sarcastic, which I thought at the time was obvious (maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought lol).

I posted it because sometime's it seem's like people are beginning to think you have to add an apostrophe in anytime a word end's in the letter 's'.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    With all these lovely fellow apostrophe pedants in one place, I'm going to take the opportunity to ponder...

First of all, I'm well aware that the possessive word "its" does not use an apostrophe. However, have you ever wondered why it doesn't? It's never made sense to me.

"The car's colour is red."
    "Its colour is red."

Why does "car" earn a nice possessive apostrophe, yet "its" doesn't? Belonging to the car, belonging to it... I obey the rule but I don't understand it.

You could argue that it would be too confusing as the possessive "its" would become identical to the contraction "it's", however it's perfectly ok to use apostrophes for different reasons in other words.

"Georgia's confused about apostrophes."
    "Georgia's new car is shiny and red."

Your thoughts?
    Because "it" is a pronoun. It's the equivalent of his, hers, yours, ours and theirs. All of which you could add an apostrophe into if you wanted to risk me shooting you!

Using "it's" instead of "its" in that case is almost as bad as using "he's", but not quite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sahie View Post
    Because "it" is a pronoun. It's the equivalent of his, hers, yours, ours and theirs. All of which you could add an apostrophe into if you wanted to risk me shooting you!

Using "it's" instead of "its" in that case is almost as bad as using "he's", but not quite.

Ah, of course; they're possessive pronouns so the possession is implicit. Happy now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There's an ad on tv for a furniture place in Melbourne at the moment (which I first saw this morning) for "6 draw tallboys".

Aaarrrggghhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    The "yeah nah" speech complex.

For example:

Question: "So did you enjoy today?"
    Answer: "Yeah nah..it was alright."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Decimated and petrified.

"The town was decimated." No it wasn't.
    "I was literally petrified." No you weren't."

Thanks
    Reviews
    "The town was decimated." No it wasn't.
    Tell that to the townsfolk of Minamisamriku.