Closed Thread
Page 44 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus^Lime View Post
    it is weird...I used judgement for years, up until a month ago, uni marked me own for it.
    I once picked up my English Lit essay to find red pen all over it... every instance of "-isation" etc had the "s" crossed out and replaced with a "z", with "THIS IS AMERICAN" splashed across it. This by a university English Literature professor.
    Last edited by lambjam; 18-03-2011 at 19:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussyfoot View Post
    I was writing that the word 'barista' (ba-RIS-ta) is used incorrectly in Australia to describe a coffee maker ....
    This is the bit we're confused about, why are you saying it is incorrectly used to describe a coffee maker?

Lambjam, I agree, the it's/its thing makes no sense (or sence as many would write lol!)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mezmerised For This Useful Post:

fiddlesticks  (18-03-2011),naebie  (18-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I took my kids out for tea tonight. The menu stated: Kid's meal's include a soft drink and a scope of ice cream.
    1. Kid's meal's (argh!)
    2. I wonder what a "scope" of ice cream tastes like?

Sent from my MB300 using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Capsicun, chromosone and Valentime.

'Nuff said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by saltygirl View Post
    I took my kids out for tea tonight. The menu stated: Kid's meal's include a soft drink and a scope of ice cream.
    1. Kid's meal's (argh!)
    2. I wonder what a "scope" of ice cream tastes like?
    You are kidding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmysmummy View Post
    Capsicun, chromosone and Valentime.

'Nuff said.
    especially with the bolded ones. nothing irks me more than hearing someone say "valentime's day".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussyfoot View Post
    Just spotted this.

*LOL* I think you've misunderstood me. Perhaps I did not explain myself well.

I was writing that the word 'barista' (ba-RIS-ta) is used incorrectly in Australia to describe a coffee maker and is often confused with the word 'barrister' (BAR-ris-ta) on paper. Surprisingly, I have found that a fair number of people tend to write, "My barista advises..." instead of "My barrister advises..." and the words do sound similar in speech as some miss the accent in the second and first syllables respectively, ironically, as indicated in the above quote.
    I think you've got a typo up top there. You're saying that barista is used incorrectly to describe a coffee maker. A barista IS a coffee maker, so we don't get what you're trying to say unless it's a typo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought it meant barista is pronounced incorrectly as barrister.

I tested the 'percolate' theory on dh. I say percolate and assumed everyone did, so I tricked dh into saying it. He said perculate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't stand it when I get a card from someone and they list all their family members but don't place commas between the names.

Eg. Love Helen Joe Emily Hamish & Luke

Thanks
    Reviews
    A barista IS a coffee maker, so we don't get what you're trying to say unless it's a typo.
    A barista, being a word borrowed from the Italian language, is a hospitality professional, the idea of which was adopted in Australia but hasn't really kept up. There are basically two types of such professionals in Italy: the first is the barista, who is able to serve most espresso drinks, gelatos, soft drinks, and pastries. The second is the bar man (also called a barista), who in addition to having the capabilities of a simple barista is often a wine somellier, can prepare 70 to 100 coffee/cocktail drinks, understands the preparation of a vast menu of hors d'oeuvres and has the ability to supervise and manage professionally.

Initially this was followed in Australia (some cities still do) but standards have fallen by the wayside to the extent where you can walk into the cafe down the road, pour yourself a coffee and you can call yourself a barista. That's what I meant when I said the term was used incorrectly. A case of culture affecting grammar if you will.

I also mentioned people get mixed up between barista and barrister but that was a separate observation.

Capsicun! Yes!

Thanks OP for an hilarious thread.
    Last edited by Pussyfoot; 19-03-2011 at 13:39.