Closed Thread
Page 43 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well, actually you can use judgement. That's the British way. Judgment is the American way. I looked it up a while ago because I was sick of my spellcheck correcting me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    Well, actually you can use judgement. That's the British way. Judgment is the American way. I looked it up a while ago because I was sick of my spellcheck correcting me!
    Phew. That just completely threw me. I've only ever written judgement, and would have been really shocked if It had been wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Yup, I'm a judgement girl too and have forced my phone to learn to spell it that way, too lol! I looked it up for the same reason after being "corrected" by an American friend.

The other day I posted the following status on Facebook:

Grammar lesson for today

The apostrophe: This punctuation mark signal's the arrival of the letter 's'.

I actually got a few replies telling me it should be "signals". *facepalm*

I love when sarcasm goes over people's heads!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Great thread
    I haven't read all of it, 15 pages - I just don't have time for that right now
    So my pet hates might have already been mentioned, but here they are anyway...

Wa la instead of voila = big big hate of mine as it is being written how it sounds. Very tempting not to correct that one each time I see it lol.

People who use words like anyhoo which is not even a word... grrrrr

And there is someone on my FB who always writes threw instead of through which annoys me.

I also hate the misuse of apostrophes, or lack of them and big long sentences with no capital letters or punctuation. In fact most of the time I will just skip those posts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sahie View Post
    Yup, I'm a judgement girl too and have forced my phone to learn to spell it that way, too lol! I looked it up for the same reason after being "corrected" by an American friend.

The other day I posted the following status on Facebook:

Grammar lesson for today

The apostrophe: This punctuation mark signal's the arrival of the letter 's'.

I actually got a few replies telling me it should be "signals". *facepalm*

I love when sarcasm goes over people's heads!
    Am I the only one who also fails to understand the facebook post mentioned above? Not sure where you were going with the incorrect use of that apostrophe

I'm normally good with spelling and grammar but I don't get what you wrote. Feel free to explain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaffMama View Post
    It's probably been mentioned but I haven't been keeping up lately - I received my pet registration renewal in the mail yesterday and it informed me that "if you own more then 2 cats you require a permit". Ugh.
    Bahahah. I had to read this numerous times before I saw was the problem was. Which is funny, because people confusing 'then' and 'than' usually really stands out to me. I was actually going to make a post about 'then' and 'than'...But I figured it had probably already been done.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With all these lovely fellow apostrophe pedants in one place, I'm going to take the opportunity to ponder...

First of all, I'm well aware that the possessive word "its" does not use an apostrophe. However, have you ever wondered why it doesn't? It's never made sense to me.

"The car's colour is red."
    "Its colour is red."

Why does "car" earn a nice possessive apostrophe, yet "its" doesn't? Belonging to the car, belonging to it... I obey the rule but I don't understand it.

You could argue that it would be too confusing as the possessive "its" would become identical to the contraction "it's", however it's perfectly ok to use apostrophes for different reasons in other words.

"Georgia's confused about apostrophes."
    "Georgia's new car is shiny and red."

Your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    judgement

is not

correct

it is judgment.
    Um, sorry to have to mention this but judgement is correct if used generally to describe how we ascertain something. Judgment is a specific term used at law to describe a finding handed down by a Judge.
    Last edited by Pussyfoot; 18-03-2011 at 17:15. Reason: word insertion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just spotted this.

a barista makes coffee and is pronounced be-rist-a.
    a barrister is the lawyer who represents you in court and is pronounced ba (as in cat)-re-sta

*LOL* I think you've misunderstood me. Perhaps I did not explain myself well.

I was writing that the word 'barista' (ba-RIS-ta) is used incorrectly in Australia to describe a coffee maker and is often confused with the word 'barrister' (BAR-ris-ta) on paper. Surprisingly, I have found that a fair number of people tend to write, "My barista advises..." instead of "My barrister advises..." and the words do sound similar in speech as some miss the accent in the second and first syllables respectively, ironically, as indicated in the above quote.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been perusing this judgment/judgment business.

My Oxford doesn't differentiate at all between the two, offering them both as optional.

Wikipedia states that "judgment" is correct in a legal context no matter which country you're in, and is also correct in the authorised version of the Bible.

However, in a non-legal context the spelling differs between countries; in the UK "judgement" is used in non-legal context, in the US "judgment" is used across the board.