Closed Thread
Page 37 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Ok i have lost my post among this massive thread, so I have to ask again: Is it really, truly, correct to say "and me"??? It just sounds so wrong! If i say "Jane and I went to the park" is it right? or should it be "Jane and me"? Or is it only at the end of a list, so "who was at the park? It was Jane, Andrew, Sally and me".
    Yep

If in doubt then remove the other person.

E.g., "I went to the park" - correct. "Me went to the park" - incorrect. Therefore "Jane and I went to the park" - correct.

"It was me" - correct. "It was I" - incorrect. Therefore "It was Jane and me" - correct.

It only sounds wrong because it became a trend for people to say "and I" at ALL times, for fear of getting it wrong.

Slightly on a tangent, but it's a bit like the way words such as 'serviette' came into usage, and (in England) are traditionally deemed 'lower class' terms. The masses adopted certain words in attempts to sound 'higher class' than they were, without realising that the upper-middle and upper classes used the more lowly sounding 'napkin.' Therefore 'serviette' (along with many other words) became a giveaway word that someone was purporting to be of 'better breeding' than they really were.

Sorry to go off-topic a bit - I just find it fascinating. I guess my tenuous link was that 'serviette' was a word that people thought sounded right, but didn't achieve the effect they were after - a bit like the 'and I' dilemma!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lambjam - you beat me to it!

I'm sure there needs to be a word for the situation where you type a reply, only to find that others have meanwhile posted replies that render your reply redundant.

Hmmm... maybe "D'OH!"

*checks back to see if anyone has posted THIS reply whilst I was in the process of typing...*

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Lambjam - you beat me to it!

I'm sure there needs to be a word for the situation where you type a reply, only to find that others have meanwhile posted replies that render your reply redundant.
    Snap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Nooooo! Really?

I've thought of another pet hate... People using a colon when writing the time, eg 10:30, instead of 10.30. Just because your digital alarm clock does it.
    What about '10am in the morning'? No, really? It wasn't 10am at night? One or the other, people!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mezmerised For This Useful Post:

naebie  (10-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ATM machine, BAS statement.... I'm sure there's a whole list of these type of errors. They're my husband's pet hates

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4fullstop For This Useful Post:

naebie  (10-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    PIN number!! Aargh!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabelFish For This Useful Post:

naebie  (10-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ATM machine and PIN number are awful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmerised View Post
    What about '10am in the morning'? No, really? It wasn't 10am at night? One or the other, people!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4fullstop View Post
    ATM machine, BAS statement.... I'm sure there's a whole list of these type of errors. They're my husband's pet hates
    ATM machine and PIN number are awful!

I'm always correcting DH on these.

Automatic teller machine machine? Really?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alternate vs alternative.

I saw a ute the other day with the company name "Alternate Energy Solutions" splashed all over it. The poor buggers actually got as far as registering a business name without anyone picking it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    On this note, when I used to order a large cappuccino and the waitress would look at me like I was an idiot and say "Oh, you mean a muggaccino?".

No, I do not mean that. "Muggaccino" is a stupid word that you've made up that tells customers nothing about what kind of coffee they are ordering. The style of coffee I would like is cappuccino. The size is large.
    I used to work as a Batista in a cafe. One morning a woman came in and ordered a 'cuppacino', I asked her if she would like her coffee in cup or mug size. She looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "I said CUP-accino didn't I?". Argh!

Almost as bad as the woman who asked for a white cappuccino, don't know what I would have done had she asked for a black one! )