Closed Thread
Page 36 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
    Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    speaking of bolognese:

spag bog:

bisketti:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Speaking of food...

Expresso instead of espresso.
    People saying "jah-la-peeno" instead of "ha-la-pen-yo."

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Expresso instead of espresso.
    On this note, when I used to order a large cappuccino and the waitress would look at me like I was an idiot and say "Oh, you mean a muggaccino?".

No, I do not mean that. "Muggaccino" is a stupid word that you've made up that tells customers nothing about what kind of coffee they are ordering. The style of coffee I would like is cappuccino. The size is large.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    On this note, when I used to order a large cappuccino and the waitress would look at me like I was an idiot and say "Oh, you mean a muggaccino?".

No, I do not mean that. "Muggaccino" is a stupid word that you've made up that tells customers nothing about what kind of coffee they are ordering. The style of coffee I would like is cappuccino. The size is large.

Do not even get me started on muggacino. I was a barista for years and the word muggacino is a pain in the ****! It means something different to everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On that note - barista vs barrister!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmerised View Post
    On that note - barista vs barrister!
    My uncle is a barrister and you'd be surprised how often he is asked how he makes the froth patterns on coffees....D'oh! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    My uncle is a barrister and you'd be surprised how often he is asked how he makes the froth patterns on coffees....D'oh! Lol
    Nooooo! Really?

I've thought of another pet hate... People using a colon when writing the time, eg 10:30, instead of 10.30. Just because your digital alarm clock does it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I think it's because they're so scared of saying "me". I often hear people say something like "That is for John and myself" because they realise that "John and I" would be incorrect but they can't bring themselves to say "John and me".

I have a friend who is a Hansard editor and she says "myself" is a word they often have to correct for the pollies.

Ok i have lost my post among this massive thread, so I have to ask again: Is it really, truly, correct to say "and me"??? It just sounds so wrong! If i say "Jane and I went to the park" is it right? or should it be "Jane and me"? Or is it only at the end of a list, so "who was at the park? It was Jane, Andrew, Sally and me".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Ok i have lost my post among this massive thread, so I have to ask again: Is it really, truly, correct to say "and me"??? It just sounds so wrong! If i say "Jane and I went to the park" is it right? or should it be "Jane and me"? Or is it only at the end of a list, so "who was at the park? It was Jane, Andrew, Sally and me".
    In your first example, it should be "I". Just take out the other people and see if the sentence still makes sense.

If you take out the other person, "Jane and I went to the park" becomes "I went to the park", which makes sense and is correct.

"Jane took Sally and I to the park" becomes "Jane took I to the park", which is clearly incorrect. In this sentence it should be "me".

Does that make sense? You can also try putting yourself first in the list. "Jane took I and Sally to the park" just sounds silly, doesn't it? However grammatically it's exactly the same as "Jane took Sally and I to the park", we're just used to hearing the mistake in the second one and don't pick it up as easily.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (10-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    People who spell divine as 'devine'. I saw this TWICE yesterday. Another one is devestated instead of devastated. That's very common.