Closed Thread
Page 33 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    MsMummy my brother did that once (yep, same brother as in my last post) but it wasn't over a misused apostrophe.

It was about 30 years ago and we were down south and had come to an ocean lookout. There was a sign there that said 'Beware Cliff Edges' and my brother wrote on it 'Who's he??'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if it has been said already, but human 'bean/been'
    Don't know about anyone else, but I don't think anyone looks like a bean

And who's/whose. Drive me crazy! Its not "Whose coming over?". It's "Who's coming over?"
    Whose is the ownership form "Whose is that?"

The apostrophe thing drives me crazy too. I learnt that he simple rule is that you only place an apostrophe (in that case!) where you are substituting a letter. 'Who is' become who's. There is no apostrophe where ownership is denoted, such as "That is Jordans" No apostrophe for a name unless it's "Jordan's coming over" and you are replacing the letter i in the word is

That doesn't apply to accents in names of course! Especially sexy French ones

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There is definitely an apostrophe for ownership. The only exception to that rule is the word 'its'. Apostrophes are for both contractions and the possessive case.

In fact if you google 'possessive case' it will give lots of examples.

The apostrophe for possessive plurals goes after the 's'. So, for example, 'that is my friend's ball' is correct for the singular, and 'those are my friends' balls' for the plural.

I see that a lot on here - people writing " kid's " to denote that their children own something, but it's actually " kids' "

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about when people write 'wallah', instead of voila? I've seen that a lot lately and it takes all my strength not to correct it. By the way, I know there is an accent on the 'a' but I'm not sure how to type it!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    There is no apostrophe where ownership is denoted, such as "That is Jordans" No apostrophe for a name unless it's "Jordan's coming over" and you are replacing the letter i in the word is :
    That should be "That is Jordan's".

There are two equally important functions for apostrophes in the English language:

1. To indicate missing letters; and
    2. To indicate possession.

Even though "its" is a possessive adjective, it does not use an apostrophe, just as we wouldn't use an apostrophe in "ours", "hers", or "whose".

It used to be considered acceptable to use apostrophes when acronyms became plurals (eg MD's or CD's) however this is no longer considered acceptable. It is also not acceptable to use them for dates (eg the 1960s).

Some style guides will accept apostrophe use when forming plurals of letters of the alphabet, just to avoid confusion (eg "Mind your p's and q's"), however this is not consistent.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplebird View Post
    How about when people write 'wallah', instead of voila? I've seen that a lot lately and it takes all my strength not to correct it. By the way, I know there is an accent on the 'a' but I'm not sure how to type it!
    Ohhh... this one! This one had me baffled for a while, as I didn't know that people were meaning 'voila'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard someone being interviewed on the radio this morning and they said `renumerate'. It's a very common one but no less annoying for that!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You mean instead of Remunerate?

Because renumerate is a word

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry yes I didn't finish it - instead of `remunerate'. (at work, being quick!).

I just collected the mail and there was a flyer for a local restaurant advertising:

TUESDAY'S! 50% Off All House Curries!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BabelFish For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (08-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just like to let everyone know I cant use apostrophes a lot of the time because my computer has a spaz attack and brings up some search bar at the bottom of the screen everytime I touch it!!!