Closed Thread
Page 32 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissa28au View Post
    I have one that confusing me, how do you spell this word I will put it in a sentence: "Are yous coming over tonight" I normaly say yous or use but I know they are both wrong but not sure what is right IYKWIM
    It might help to think of it like sheep. It is one sheep and twenty sheep. It is also one person (you) and twenty people (you).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not to be confused with ewe.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnymummy For This Useful Post:

4fullstop  (06-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have one that confusing me, how do you spell this word I will put it in a sentence: "Are yous coming over tonight" I normaly say yous or use but I know they are both wrong but not sure what is right IYKWIM
    There is no right way to spell it, it's not a word

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

RunningWithScissors  (07-03-2011),Threadkiller  (06-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by .mpeg View Post
    amount vs number. for example, there is a large amount of people here. wrong wrong wrong!
    OMG I actually did this tonight. We had a family dinner and the subject came up. Dad was telling my eldest brother about how his big boss had written 'Principle Engineer' on top of a report and Dad couldn't believe it, and ever so gently corrected him.

So I told them about this thread and said 'the amount of people who have contributed' and there was this kind of pause and my brother said 'or the number of ...' and grinned at me.

I told him to stick it and try 13 months of sleep deprivation!

But I never get 'fewer' and 'less than' wrong ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnymummy View Post
    It might help to think of it like sheep. It is one sheep and twenty sheep. It is also one person (you) and twenty people (you).
    I don't get it how can twenty people be me

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    what she means is that if you are talking to one person you call them 'you'. if you are talking to 20 people you would also call them 'you'.

hey tom, are you coming to dinner tonight?

hey guys, are you coming to dinner tonight?

some languages have a word for you in the plural but english doesn't.

babel- how dare you!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

Threadkiller  (07-03-2011)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You could also say something like "Is everyone coming over tonight?" if you really wanted to emphasise the plural.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Threadkiller  (07-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    OMG I actually did this tonight. We had a family dinner and the subject came up. Dad was telling my eldest brother about how his big boss had written 'Principle Engineer' on top of a report and Dad couldn't believe it, and ever so gently corrected him.

So I told them about this thread and said 'the amount of people who have contributed' and there was this kind of pause and my brother said 'or the number of ...' and grinned at me.

I told him to stick it and try 13 months of sleep deprivation!

But I never get 'fewer' and 'less than' wrong ...
    That's so funny . I recently had a big FB argument over the use of "principal" to describe the leading character in a movie. The person I was arguing with had a firm notion that "principal" only meant "headmaster" and took a lot of convincing!

TBH, amount/number and fewer/less are words I need to keep an eye on. I'm pretty sure I usually get them right, but I'm going to have to be more vigilant. That's how I get particularly pedantic about any one thing; if I suspect I've been getting it wrong I make a point of perfecting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went for a walk this morning, and noticed the following handwritten sign at the entrance to my local park:

"Local's meet here for friendly soccer game...".

Somebody had crossed out the apostrophe, and written in pencil next to it "no apostrophe required".

I thought of this thread. Are you grammar fascists out with your pencils?

PS. Am I allowed to use "fascist" in this context? I think the word we cannot say despite its general acceptance in popular culture works better, but thought this might work. What about "grammar pedant"?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

naebie  (07-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh, ooh, I've thought of another one that makes me cringe... "Keep it for prosperity". It's "posterity", gah!

MsMummy, my views on censoring people's right to use a word according to its dictionary definition have been put forward, and my view on the subject probably puts me in the category of "people not to ask". That said, I think "fascism" is a general enough term that you should be safe in using it. That is to say, it doesn't apply to one set of people in history, rather to an ideology.

Trusty Oxford describes fascism as:
    "an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.
    - (in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practices."

It's safe to say most of us in this thread have intolerant views or practices in relation to grammar, spelling or punctuation (but then again I thought that the definition of "a person who seeks to impose their views on others in a very autocratic or inflexible way" was also a good description).