Closed Thread
Page 30 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't make this point strenuously enough. When I see certain mistakes (eg definately, or begging the question) I don't really even think about the person making the mistake; I despise the mistake itself! It's as though it's not even related to the person who said it.

Some mistakes are so prevalent it's as though they have taken on their own persona .

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

4fullstop  (05-03-2011),MrJones&Me  (05-03-2011),naebie  (06-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always take context into account - that's the only way I can stay sane on bh and fb. Typos, text speak and abbreviations are acceptable and allowed in these contexts. I'm pretty tolerant online.

On the other hand, formal writing and public signage/print MUST be 100% accurate. If you don't know, check! As a society we must model correct usage of our language!

And I vote emoticons outside punctuation. :smiledance:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    I always take context into account - that's the only way I can stay sane on bh and fb. Typos, text speak and abbreviations are acceptable and allowed in these contexts. I'm pretty tolerant online.

On the other hand, formal writing and public signage/print MUST be 100% accurate. If you don't know, check! As a society we must model correct usage of our language!

And I vote emoticons outside punctuation. :smiledance:
    Aha, I spy a spin-off thread just begging to be made...

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a question... Is it "survival of the fittest" or "survival of the fitted"? Everyone says fittest but I had an English teacher in high school who swore black and blue it was fitted and backed it up with arguments. It's a pretty widespread error if he's right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaffMama View Post
    I have a question... Is it "survival of the fittest" or "survival of the fitted"? Everyone says fittest but I had an English teacher in high school who swore black and blue it was fitted and backed it up with arguments. It's a pretty widespread error if he's right.
    Definitely "fittest". It relates to Charles Darwin; I'm on my phone but if you Wikipedia "Survival of the fittest" it all makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Aha, I spy a spin-off thread just begging to be made...
    I'm way too lazy to spin off :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    I'm way too lazy to spin off :P
    All dealt with, just follow the link a few posts up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaffMama View Post
    I wrote a story in primary school in which someone 'fell pregnant.' My teacher told me that saying someone 'fell pregnant' doesn't make any sense. I've seen it written a lot since then though. Is it correct or not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have never really thought about people saying 'I fell pregnant' (i have probably said it) but when you think about it, saying 'I fell pregnant' would technically mean you tripped over while pregnant so the correct term should be 'I became pregnant'.