Closed Thread
Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    MissSteph is offline Proud young mother to 2 beautiful children
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Nietzsche View Post
    Used - think of it like past tense..

If you said 'use' it would be like you were discussing something you use.. like 'I use the rolling pin for this' or 'I use posh shampoo' or whatever.
    Makes sense, thank you. It had me baffled at one point because I never pronounce the 'd' haha

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    an infinitive is 'to (verb)'. for example, i want to eat. a split infinitive i assume would be if you separated the to and the verb.

it's much easier in german, where grammar and word order dictate all that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know about split infinitives from having my essays ruthlessly checked by a grammar nerd friend.

I assumed that 'to fart', 'to rest' etc was an infinitive, because I sure as heck now know that 'to readily assume' or 'to actually go' etc are split infinitives.

So you should say to 'but actually to go there' and not 'but to actually go there'

did i already sya that?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my... replying to subscribe, will be back later.

(See the sig up near my avatar for my feelings on the subject )

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    - "Me and Johnny went to the park" instead of "Johnny and I went to the park"
    - similar to above, when people "over-correct" and it becomes "Grandma gave Johnny and I some cake" instead of the correct "Grandma gave Johnny and me some cake".

I reckon the best way of understanding this rule is to remove the other person's name in your head, then it's easier to determine whether you're supposed to use "me" or "I".
    Oh, I had to respond to this one! I hate this, and I hate how so many people assume you're incorrect when you correctly use "me" at the end of a sentence. I also teach my children to remove the other person to figure it out. Another way is to reverse the order of people, for example if you say "Grandma gave I and Johnny some cake", the mistake becomes very clear. (As an aside, putting yourself last in a list is not a grammatical rule, just a courtesy.)

Grandma took Johnny and me to the movies; yes, deal with it!
    Last edited by lambjam; 28-02-2011 at 17:25.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Ripleigh  (02-09-2011),stayday  (28-02-2011)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My personal gripe of late has been the word 'grateful'. Everyone else in the world seems to think it is spelled 'greatful' and it just drives me bonkers every time I see it!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Now this is my kind of thread!!

Apostrophes (or the lack of them) are my biggest grievance.
    "A lot" is 2 words
    "Round" used when it should be "around". Years ago my then H read a book and wanted me to read it after him as he enjoyed it so much. I refused to read the book on the basis that there was an error in the books title, it was called "Round Ireland with a Fridge". The book was about a group of blokes who travelled around Ireland with a small fridge, not a circular place called Ireland that had a fridge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I really dislike when people don't use capital letters. How petty is that?!

My Mum was an English teacher and her grammar-Nazi ways rubbed off on me.
    i admit, i frequently omit caps as am very often typing with one hand - I am now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelleylane View Post
    I do get annoyed sometimes, but only because I have this weird thing where a word will get stuck in my head and I'll say it silently over and over and over. Potentially for days. Usually it's when it's spelt wrong and I'm correcting in my head. The other day it was a bubhubbers username 'Gizmoduckus' or something... "is it GizMOduckus, or gizmoDUCKus???!?'
    This is the last place I expected to see my user name pop up!
    To save you any more confusion, I wanted the user name GizmoDuck but it was already taken so I just added an 'us' at the end. http://darkwingduck.wikia.com/wiki/Gizmoduck

My pet peeve at the moment is people typing aloud instead of allowed. They mean two totally different things!

BTW has anyone else struggled to type their response in this thread for fear of making a mistake or is it just me?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gizmoduckus For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (01-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    BTW has anyone else struggled to type their response in this thread for fear of making a mistake or is it just me?
    Hahahaha yep sweating over the keyboard and re-reading many times!! Oh dear... is there a hyphen in "re-reading"?? Is that even a word?? Arrrrgh!

Lambjam - I luffs you!